Did you create videos before finding FXhome?

Long before you played with video effects with VisionLab or HitFilm or After Effects etc. did you try doing your own videos anyway? Anything worth watching here? If so, please post one of your early vids!
I don't know if these are worth watching but they were fun to put together and were my first serious attempts at making a video. These both were done with Windows Movie Maker which is very limited as you probably know. B-)
Here's the premise: So my cousin is on the Root River (which runs right behind our houses) and one night he's out there chopping away at the ice. A few days later, his creation inspired me to produce these videos about it. Hope you enjoy!
http://youtu.be/75lN29DP4r8

http://youtu.be/uKilY5X36oo

There is a part 3 but there are some music issues. I hope to resolve it soon so the trilogy can be complete. Let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Comments

• I used to work with one of the really old handy cams when I was younger and Movie Maker and the idea of a video editing program really didn't exist. What I did was just cut at the right part and for all my special effects...well we used fireworks and gasoline. Don't have any of the footage, but I've been filming long before FxHome.
  • That was funny. Good one StormyKnight.
  • Here's my first edited short film. This was filmed long before I found about Fxhome in 2006.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIe9bJNqr5s
  • Here is a music video I made with pinnacle 10 about 6 years ago!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIxx4SdK6-Y
  • edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJpEcjfa7qI
    It was made about 2000-2001. Ulead Media studio, Virtual Dub, Panasonic MiniDV ;)
  • edited August 2011

I don't know if these are worth watching but they were fun to put together and were my first serious attempts at making a video. These both were done with Windows Movie Maker which is very limited as you probably know. B-)
    Here's the premise: So my cousin is on the Root River (which runs right behind our houses) and one night he's out there chopping away at the ice. A few days later, his creation inspired me to produce these videos about it. Hope you enjoy!

It is so wrong and messed up, but funny!
  • edited August 2011
    I've done some stop motions ni will post later, I use paint to edit effects on, haha, no I use fxhome vision lab
  • Thank you for posting guys! I like seeing where people have come from and where they are today. I have yet to produce a new vid (I lost all my work on one project when my external hard drive crapped out about a month ago :(( ) and I have to do everything over- so I thought I'd do it in HF instead but it's been slow going learning the software. I caught on to VisionLab a lot faster but I can see much more potential in HF.
    RodyPolis- Were you guys snickering at the name? It sure looked like you might have been trying not to laugh at one point. Fun stuff! I enjoyed that. B-)
    guitar74- Nice tribute! The vocals could be a little louder but I understood everything once I turned the volume up to hear the lyrics. Thanks for sharing! B-)
    Estevez (HUN)- I had the Ulead Media Studio & Virtual Dub at one time but I didn't know you could do stuff like that with it! That was a while ago before I got interested in VFX. Thank you too for sharing! B-)
    Froi productions- I'm going to hold you to that!
    Action Now Studios- Gasoline and fireworks......glad you're still around to talk with us! :P
    GreenUser- Thanks! Funny is what I was going for. Glad to know it worked. :))

• Thank you for posting guys! I like seeing where people have come from and where they are today. I have yet to produce a new vid (I lost all my work on one project when my external hard drive crapped out about a month ago :(( ) and I have to do everything over- so I thought I'd do it in HF instead but it's been slow going learning the software. I caught on to VisionLab a lot faster but I can see much more potential in HF.
    RodyPolis- Were you guys snickering at the name? It sure looked like you might have been trying not to laugh at one point. Fun stuff! I enjoyed that. B-)
    guitar74- Nice tribute! The vocals could be a little louder but I understood everything once I turned the volume up to hear the lyrics. Thanks for sharing! B-)
    Estevez (HUN)- I had the Ulead Media Studio & Virtual Dub at one time but I didn't know you could do stuff like that with it! That was a while ago before I got interested in VFX. Thank you too for sharing! B-)
    Froi productions- I'm going to hold you to that!
    Action Now Studios- Gasoline and fireworks......glad you're still around to talk with us! :P
    GreenUser- Thanks! Funny is what I was going for. Glad to know it worked. :))

That was my 3 or 4th attempt with a green screen about 6 years ago and using Pinnalce studio 10. A friend wrote the words, I wrote the music and had to Try to sing it and there it is, then someone said do a video and use the Titanic story about it. So, I got some clips put them together and here it is. Since the internet got big with me, I have not really played or anything in such a long, long time. So, that is the back story on that. I will post my clone band video soon!!
  • when i was younger, i used windows movie maker ^^" but for specials effects as make explosed a train i used crakers or fireworks on a little train model x)finally some years later i use Ae and Fxhome software ^^
  • edited September 2011
    I shot this short film ten years ago on Hi-8mm tape.
    Most of the FX were physical, like fake blood, and I think I used Vegas 1.0 to edit it.
    Winter Grae
    http://youtu.be/r7-OPO69WQg
  • SpectrOdrake Corp.- That's not such a bad idea- using a model train and fire crackers/fireworks. How did it turn out?
    Mproducer- I got hooked. Too bad Melanie passed away. I would have liked to have seen more.
  • edited September 2011

I've done some stop motions I will post later, I use paint to edit effects on, haha, now I use fxhome vision lab

Argh, wrong button, how do I delete this post??
  • I did this a few years ago. All the rendering and effects were done using the 3DToolkit version of Electric Image (learning edition of version 4), with editing done in Arcsoft Showbiz DVD. I now have the full version of Electric Image (v.8) and had just switched to Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum (still have VideoStudio X2 Pro as well) when Hitfilm was announced.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u1Rrv2vw6U
    This was very rushed to meet the deadline of a Star Trek Club video contest. There are shots I like and others I cringe at when I see them. But it did win the contest. 8-|
  • Awsome! Love the retroness of it compared to the modern star treck, it was so cool!!! Like, like, like! :D
  • None of my pre-FXhome stuff has survived the intervening years and format switches - which is probably rather a good thing, as it was pretty awful. :)
    The oldest thing I have online is fairly awful. We had a great time making it but it very much belongs to a previous, pre-digital generation of amateur filmmaking: http://media.fxhome.com/cinema-movies/MJ1se.mov Shot on hi8!
  • I love how they are in tee-shirts and jeans whilst in space, and they can easily open the window lol :))
  • i love the mouth which is speaking :)
    Yeah and your Space suit ( tee-shirts :P )
  • rtrowbridge- 21st Century Ross.... :)) That was a fun video! Kind of a Star Wars Trek thing. What WAS I watching? lol I enjoyed it and hope you do some more in the future! B-) Can the story be found online somewhere?
    Simon- That wasn't awful at all! But I am amazed they survived the fall; they must be men of steel!
    Did you ever get a chance to finish the story? I typed in the address at the end but I got a 'page cannot be displayed' error message. So how does it end? What were they after (if anything)? Just curious.
    By the way- My excuse is I drink Scotch....although I haven't had anything in about 15 years now except very rare occasions.

• rtrowbridge- 21st Century Ross.... :)) That was a fun video! Kind of a Star Wars Trek thing. What WAS I watching? lol I enjoyed it and hope you do some more in the future! B-) Can the story be found online somewhere?

Thanks, StormyKnight and Froi. It was Star Wars vs. Star Trek to Babylon 5 music. The story was written about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, the website where this one and a bunch of others were at was taken down about a year ago.

• Simon- That wasn't awful at all! But I am amazed they survived the fall; they must be men of steel!
    Did you ever get a chance to finish the story? I typed in the address at the end but I got a 'page cannot be displayed' error message. So how does it end? What were they after (if anything)? Just curious.

We did do a part 2, which you can watch here: http://tarn.fxhome.com/mj2/MJ2mediumquality.avi I'm still quite proud of the CG creature fight halfway through, given the resources I had at the time. :P
    Alas, we never made a part 3.
  • edited September 2011
    That was great, Simon! It took a little to get used to Bob and I liked the music; I thought, was kind of Dr. Who-ish (which is totally cool by me). I'm a composer myself so I pay attention to the music in movies more than the average person. I recognized you immediately and I really like the way you used previous footage to fill your character in on what happened to Muffy and Jebediah. That whole beginning sequence looks complicated considering what you had to work with. The CG creature fight rocked. Was it tough keeping track of where everything was for that scene in post production i.e. making sure none of the creatures passed through each other?
    I suppose I'll have to wait a long time for pt. 3.... :( like the second trilogy for Star Wars. ;) That's okay.....I'm patient. :))
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Yeah, it was quite tricky. We shot the live action part without any idea of where the creatures would be, so I had to invent movements for the creatures based on how Steve was flailing about. It was a fun experiment. :P
  • This is a small mix of effects I've been putting in home movies for more than 18 years...
    From back in the days of editing with a couple of VCRs.
    Looking back I would have 'loved' a program like hitfilm back then.
    BTW: I really cannot recommend copying the RL motorbike stunt in the first clip. One of my girls was watching it the other day (they are both teenagers now) and said 'that was a bit close, wasn't it Dad?'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugx9vATqNgE
  • edited September 2011
    This is some really great stuff everyone! It's cool to see the diversity of styles and approaches that were drawn to hitfilm.
    @rtrowbridge, that was an epic battle- Did you do all the modeling yourself? Or did you find free ones online? They were really good.
    @Simon K Jones: Part 1 was fun, I loved the editing for the tree scene, and the upside down mouth was the best :D the 2nd part didn't work for me, I'll probably try again later.
    @FredClips- Dude, you edited this linearly? With VCRS?! Mad props- how did you composite the 3d plates?

As for my work, here's a peice I did for my wedding a little more then a year ago:
    http://youtu.be/qFZlXcT65Ng
    This was shown during the procession, as a scripted "delay" of the Ring Bearer. The crowd loved it, and I have to give my wife lots of points for actually letting me do it!
  • edited September 2011

@rtrowbridge, that was an epic battle- Did you do all the modeling yourself? Or did you find free ones online? They were really good.

I built the blue space station, the nebula, and the modified saucer section on the Galaxy class ship. The others were found online (see the credits for the creator of each ship) Each ship, except the Bhools'I (bullseye) represented Utah Star Trek club. Adding the extra nacelles one club had added made it impossible to use an existing galaxy class. Besides the nacelles, I had to change the hangar bays, the number of windows, and add the big megaphaser on the bottom.
    glad you liked it. It was fun to do.
    I really liked your video as well. Good sense of humor throughout. I liked the guy with the hard hat (and the kid was great).

• @FredClips- Dude, you edited this linearly? With VCRS?! Mad props- how did you composite the 3d plates?
    As for my work, here's a peice I did for my wedding a little more then a year ago:
    This was shown during the procession, as a scripted "delay" of the Ring Bearer. The crowd loved it, and I have to give my wife lots of points for actually letting me do it!

I'm more than a little impressed that your wife let you do that!
    My experience with weddings would lead me to believe otherwise...
    About my older stuff, the 3d effects were comped with Ulead Media Studio Pro, I was very happy to finally switch to NLE at this time. (guessing around 12 years ago) Creatures are all from Poser, I thought that was the best program ever! I always wanted monsters in my movies but I couldn't create 3d models for my life :(
    Regarding linear editing, I missed putting this clip in the mix earlier.
    This was edited with two VCRs and I created the muzzle flashes just shooting the 12 gauge shotgun ;)
    I wish the tape had held up better over the years, I guess all the rewinding and re-recording didn't do it any favors.
    http://youtu.be/WLDm9L324YQ
  • I used to drool over poser as a kid. The closest I got to 3d back then was a demo version of Bryce- anyone remember that? It was a decent program for landscape stuff, but I had trouble making it do much else.
    The VCR stories crack me up, but that's pretty cool. I once got my hand on an old school analog video mixer that could do split screen. I tried to use it to do a clone setup, but the logistics of timing both my deliver and the tapes was really difficult. So glad we have NLE now!
  • edited September 2011
    fredclips, I can't believe that was done back in the VCR era. I had no idea it was even possible back then. I love how you got the kids involved. They must have had a great time especially after seeing what you did to the footage. Yeah- the motorcycle was a little close! Thanks for sharing!
    ZF- Hang on to that woman! To let you do that at your wedding is remarkable and great job with the actors and tying it into the live event. Loved the kick to the shins, "Hey ninja!" and the hard hat bit were :)) hilarious. Thank you also for sharing!
    Great stuff all around!!!!!
  • i did this quite a while ago, but it is using better stuff than paint, but it can still be done on paint, (it just wont look too good lol)
    http://youtu.be/XRtacHa_A9U

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment