Experienced help on sound?

edited August 2011 in Filmmaking
I'm just getting into film making, and obviously sound on my T2i will not suffice to my needs. I am on a low budget. My friend who works with an indie group suggested getting a clip on mic, and using that for now, and then later add another one. I was looking at a shotgun mic. What method do you suggest? and what equipment should I look at new/used for under $100? I also need money for a rig. Please excuse any dumb comments ignorance I might have let slip..

Comments

• O'k it very well depends on what your doing. You said your getting a mic for film making purposes, well in that case I personally would not want a clip on mic. Clip on mic's usually have a kind of muffled sound when you walk about with them. I think a shotgun mic is the best bet for what you wanna do. The Audio-Technica ATR55 is a good mic for under $100. I believe it can be used as an on camera mic aswell as a boom mic.
    Thats only my opinion however, Good luck :)
  • If you need a rig, check out amazon, there are some great prices for wind sheilds, mics, and rigs, I will see what I can find for under £100 so it should be around $100
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Stands-Microphone-Stand-Boom/dp/B001ANK7BS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313934627&sr=8-1
    Here is a cheap stand for mic. But microphones can range a lot from sound quality and prices, I'd advice looking up sound tests on YouTube for microphones you are looking to buy. To help you out ;)
  • edited August 2011
    http://www.themicstore.co.uk/camcorder-shotgun-mics.html#.TlEOfKN5mSM
    Here is a microphone store, also, for the rig, you'll need to by a mic holder (but it recommends it on the page, so you won't have to search for one) :)

• I'm just getting into film making, and obviously sound on my T2i will not suffice to my needs. I am on a low budget. My friend who works with an indie group suggested getting a clip on mic, and using that for now, and then later add another one. I was looking at a shotgun mic. What method do you suggest? and what equipment should I look at new/used for under $100? I also need money for a rig. Please excuse any dumb comments ignorance I might have let slip..

Whilst you could opt for a lapel clip-on mic, this would mean that you can only shoot a single person at a time. This may be OK for you, but many would find this restrictive. A good quality option would be the Audio Technica PRO70 which takes a single AA battery and comes in just over budget.
    A decent (and probably more flexible) alternative would be a shotgun mic such as the Rode VideoMic. This is by far and away the best sound quality you will get for your money and opens up wider shots as well as group audio capture. This woud be on target for your budget and give you a sound response similar to the quality of the T2i
    Hope this helps.
    Matt

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment