Speed Effect does not slow down audio

I put a speed effect on my video, but the audio is not slowed down, how can i solve this?

Comments

• as a one off would you like me too slow the audio and footage down for you? if so upload what you need done to dropbox or one drive and il have it done by tonight

• Thank you, but i wan't to learn how to do this in hitfilm by myselve

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Hitfilm doesn't have tools to change audio speed. Yoy could look at free audio editors like Audacity. 

• magicstyle - Do you have Vegas that came with SoundForge?

Heck, if you have Vegas, slow the video and audio in Vegas, then re-render to import to Hitfilm. Vegas handles speed ramps better, faster and easier than Hitfilm. 

In Vegas, to change speed of a video clip,  right-click the video clup, select "properties" and change "playback rate." Values below 1 are slo-mo, above 1 are fast-mo. Or, right-click the video clip and select "Insert Envelope/Velocity" and you can add points to the envelope and do speed ramping (you'll need to manually drag the end of the clip out with both these methods). Or, hold CTRL as you drag the In/Out points of the clip and it will time-stretch as you drag! 

I did say Vegas was better for speed ramping, yes? 

• edited April 2015

Yes- I used SoundForge in a vid I did with the theater and just adjusted the speed values so they were the same percentage when I sped the video up. I had to process the audio separately and drop it back into the HF editor and it worked like a charm. I haven't learned Vegas as well as I probably should have and may do so in the future so 1) I didn't know about the speed ramping and 2) I just love HF that much more!

Soundforge is a powerful program, but I don't use it much, since I can do most of what I do in sound forge in Vegas. I whip Soundforge out for the few things Vegas can't do that it can.

Nothin' wrong with loving Hitfilm! I've just been on Vegas since version 1, so I know it pretty well. For anything involving animation, compositing, VFX work, totally take your shots into Hitfilm--that where it shines! For nuts and bolts edits I prefer Vegas (especially when doing multicam, which Hitfilm's just not suited for), and for audio editing, I certainly do that in Vegas.

Another couple of notes on speed ramping in Vegas--the clip duration on the timeline doesn't change when changing playback speed via direct properties changes or velocity envelopes, so finessing timing might take a couple of tries. Also (and this is important) in clip properties you change the playback rate. With the Velocity envelope you change velocity. THESE ARE SEPARATE THINGS and can be adjust individually! Order of Operations is Playback Rate first, Velocity Envelope second. Velocity Envelope is percentage-based with 100% being the current playback rate. Playback Rate values range from 0.25 to 4.00 (quarter speed to four-times-speed) and Velocity Envelopes range from =/-300%. This means that you can adjust your speed to up to 12 times faster/slower. Bear in mind, Vegas isn't interpolating frames, so 25-50% is really as slow as you can go and have things look ok. Also note that Velocity envelopes do negative speeds--reverse playback. In Vegas you can make a clip speed up, slow down, stop, reverse, stop, then go forward again with proper use of Velocity Envelopes!

• We really shouldn't have the need to use Vegas for simple tasks such as this.  HF is supposed to be an nle and compositing combo.

Hitfilm IS an NLE compositing combo, but you're never ever ever ever EVER going to find a single program that does everything everyone wants it to do perfectly! As a VFX and compositor program, Hitfilm is top notch. As an editor, it still needs work. Hitfilm has a speed effect for altering the speed of video. Vegas's just happens to be better. Vegas happens to have compositing tools like masking and chroma key and Vegas allows you to move your layers around in 3D space, but Hitfilm kicks Vegas's butt for that work.

Chibi, if you watch behind the scenes featurettes, you'll see things like "Well, we built this thing in MASSIVE, and we built that thing in Maya and we did this bit in Flame and sent everything to After Effects for final compositing then to Resolve for final grade." In other words, the big boys with multi-million dollar budgets and the staff to custom-code things are still using four or five different programs based on what works best for the job at hand.

Hitfilm is a fantastic program, and it's the closest thing to an "All in one" on the consumer/prosumer market, but it's not perfect. :-) FxHome certainly knows this, or they wouldn't have partnered with Sony and worked on Vegas integration, and they wouldn't have had to bundle in Mocha for planar tracking--something Hitfilm doesn't do, and they wouldn't have converted to an Open FX framework to allow third-party developers to write tools to fill in the gaps in Hitfilm!

For this paragraph, I can only speak for myself. Hitfilm and Vegas are my video programs of choice, but that doesn't mean I don't use Premiere, and After Effects and Blender when I have to, not to mention NEAT Video, BCC, and NewBlue plug-ins as well as Red Giant. Oh, and Twixtor. Best tool for the job, right?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

A "how to" to flesh out Triem23's description 

Controlling Velocity in Vegas Pro

Vegas has great audio abilities but there are times I have to do a lot of cleanup on a track and I prefer to do that kind of thing in Sound Forge. For whatever reason it just seems easier and smoother for me even though I can I use the exact same tools and plugins right in Vegas. If the audio is really really noisy I'll resort to Izotope Rx Advanced.

@StormyKnight Vegas can open audio events in Sound Forge or any other editor like Audacity. You define your preferred editor in Preferences and then just right click an event and select Open in Audio Editor.

@chibi Would it be nice if HitFilm could change the audio too? Sure but I have to throw in a reality check here. All NLE's are visual editors first and for most of them audio is an afterthought. At some point every NLE will force you to use either an editor or a DAW or both. Obviously some force the issue sooner than others. The moral of the story is you really should have at least an audio editor in your toolkit. Audacity is very capable, very free and can be downloaded in less time than it took me to write this post. 

@Aladdin4d ; Yeah, if I need to get in depth on a track, I'll take it to Sound Forge, but I don't have to do it THAT often. Mostly if I'm getting into real cleanup of noise, or If doing hardcore Sound FX design and I need to really shape a sound so I can just render and reuse.

@chibi Audacity link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

• @Aladdin4d : Agreed, no need for extended audio features, but the speed effect would be so much nicer if it affected sound. No problem, if you want to speed up or slow down the video by a constant value. But when keyframing, you would have to repeat the keyframes in the audio tool, that can do the same also.

I think some audio improvements would help. A few basic echo, verb, timestretch, eq effects is enough to make Hitfilm useful enough for basic audio edits. We don't have to go full-on DAW here, but, for a lot of the users who are just starting out or don't have other tools this will get 'em started.

• edited April 2015

Adding something like the GoPro Studio Free 'Flux' slowdown feature in any of those editors would be nice.   

With it you can slow things down massively; as it is interpolating the frames. Not quite Twixtor quality, but...free. Then speed them up again to the speeds you want - including using Speed Ramps - and the results will be much smoother than the jerk-o-vision you sometimes get with just showing individual frames for longer. You can also go much slower, like 5%, and still get butter-smooth video if you choose your subject carefully. Just taking 5-6 frames and making them drop to 10% in the middle of a clip can be a nice emphasis effect for a few seconds. If you have a lot of movement in the frames, you can't go that slow if the interpolated data would involve too much 'guesswork' for the software, and you get a few artifacts, but 25% is usually fine on even fairly fast moving stuff.

@Marcin @Triem23 I totally agree it would be nice to have some basic audio edit features and the speed effect would be nicer if it affected the sound too. I was just trying to point out that at certain points with any NLE you're better off moving to dedicated audio tools.

@Palacono I've heard about Flux slowdown before but haven't tried it yet. I've had good luck using VirtualDub and Avisynth for slowing things down and both are free too. I don't necessarily use these exact steps but they are a good start.

Create slow motion videos in VirtualDub + AviSynth

How to record slow-motion video and audio in VirtualDub

• edited April 2015

I don't usually worry about the sound, so I'm more interested in something like this... Not the best, but the most neutral thing I could find to demonstrate it.

Timelapse was originally taken every 5 seconds and played at 30fps, which is pretty jerky, then the centre section was slowed down to 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mUzw7FnIqo

edited April 2015

I don't even know what the original capture rate was but the middle of this one was done with Avisynth and MVtools. There's a jump at about 15 secs that's in the original source so ignore that :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3jkG2Z4ac

The way this works is you define a multiplier for how many interpolated frames you want. Here the source was set to 29.97 fps and the multiplier used was 8 to generate 239.76 fps which is then played back at 29,97 fps. this is the script I used:

LoadPlugin("Path to\mvtools2.dll")
    AVISource("Path to\source.avi").KillAudio
    ConvertToYV12()
    AssumeFPS(29.97)
    super = MSuper(pel=2)
    backward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = true, search=3)
    forward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = false, search=3)
    MFlowFPS(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, num=8*FramerateNumerator(last),den=FramerateDenominator(last))
    AssumeFPS(29.97)

• edited April 2015

@Triem23

We use a multi app pipeline at work. Mostly Adobe and Autodesk stuff. So I'm used to doing stuff on each app when it needs to but most of the time its better to stay in one app. Look how much Nuke is integrating a lot of 3D functions so people can lessen the need to jump through hoops with file exchange. Maya 2016 just integrated some mudbox sculpting features. I'm pretty sure they will kill off Mudbox soon.
    Multi pipeline works for bigger teams but smaller teams that have modest resources can do well with a good solid app.
    I got HF for personal use for editing and comp and use Lightwave for the 3d stuff.  I don't want to use and upgrade Vegas anymore because HF was supposed to be an NLE replacement.
    But some of the basic editing functions in HF are either broken or implemented in a strange workflow like this Speed function. The fade in/out function, ripple edits, etc are just way better implemented in Vegas.
    I don't agree that its close to AE at all. The text tools and mograph capabilities are night and day.

HF is good at adding effects no doubt. But is that the main focus? The indie vfx?

The problem is people are already looking at Fusion and Davrinci Resolve which are very very powerful and user friendly and both FREE.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment