Ripple insert shift dragging bug

When I hold shift to do a ripple insert the other tracks get sliced and ripple moved. Hope this gets fixed soon.
Any workaround for ripple insert in hf?

https://youtu.be/3ndAL4ftGC0

Comments

• Any quick fix build for people using HF as an nle?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

We'll see--have you also logged a bug with customer support? FxHome tells us Update #5 is out later this month.

• edited April 2015

What? We need to log bugs there too? I thought that was the point of the 'Issue' thread? Then again, some things seem to go unanswered there... :(

Sometimes customer support is faster. Also, NAB this week, so almost half the staff are in Vegas. Shrug. 

• Can you clarify what behaviour you would want to see here?

Insert edit inserts the new clip, moving other clips to accommodate it. If you insert in the middle of an existing clip, it'll be sliced at that point with the content to the right of the slice being moved.

Overlay edits simply overwrite whatever is on the timeline in that area.

This is the same kind of insert/overlay setup I've experienced in other NLEs.

This is what your video appears to show. Let me know what exactly you're after, as I suspect I'm missing something obvious.

I note that in other NLE's I have uses default for Insert Edit is to move the affected track, not the others. Vegas, for example, has different procedures to ripple one track and ripple all tracks. That might be a good toggle. 

• Right - Premiere defaults to similar behaviour to HitFilm, for comparison.

It seems to me that this isn't a bug, more a request for an additional feature: ie, the ability to choose between affecting all tracks or just the directly affected track.

• edited April 2015

I note that in other NLE's I have uses default for Insert Edit is to move the affected track, not the others. Vegas, for example, has different procedures to ripple one track and ripple all tracks. That might be a good toggle.

-Yep.

Right - Premiere defaults to similar behaviour to HitFilm, for comparison.
    It seems to me that this isn't a bug, more a request for an additional feature: ie, the ability to choose between affecting all tracks or just the directly affected track.

-Haven't touched premiere or fcp in ages but I think they don't slice through other tracks when doing a ripple insert in one track. HF doesn't just ripple other tracks, it slices all clips in all tracks in all cases. That behavior to me would be a bug  :)
    I don't see anyone wanting to work that way and get all their tracks and clips displaced and sliced through by inserting just a single clip.

• That is how Premiere works - but it has that shortcut for toggling the behaviour to just the current track.

• By default?
    So even all the audio tracks get displaced and split/cut through when you ripple edit a video track by dragging a clip to it?

I'll have to check again. That's seriously very very bad and I can't recall it did that.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Chibi I'll admit it's been a while since I worked with Premiere but even so I'm pretty sure that is the default behavior just like @SimonKJones says and there are many cases where that's exactly what you want. I have projects where I have to insert clips "after the fact" all the time and if my NLE couldn't or wouldn't ripple that way I'd be buying a different NLE

• edited April 2015

Just downloaded Premiere CC 2014 trial. I feel lost with the new skin. Haha.
    The default drag a clip from the Source bin to the Timeline is overwrite.  Holding ctrl is ripple insert as Simon says. I never use this since this will slice and displace all tracks including the audio tracks, too, This is what we have in Hitfilm.

What I use most of the time is holding ctrl+alt. It only affects one track on the Timeline. We don't have this in Hitfilm. So Premiere has both procedures, too, just like Vegas.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment