Importing Issue Mov

edited March 2015 in Express Support

Hey guys,

Working on a little project, and importing movie files from an HDV Camcorder. HitFilm 2 Express (once again) won't let me import the following:

Quicktime Movie codec: hdv3

1440x1080 (actually 1920x1080) 25 fps but imported into Mac as 1440x10880

Interlaced (upper field first)  24 bit color

Result: VLC can play files fine, HitFilm 2 Express lets me import, preview the audio but doesn't show footage,(no thumbnail) , on a timeline the screen shows white. Audio plays.

What's wrong here and what should I do? Is Quicktime Movie Codec: hdv3 supported in HitFilm 2 Express?

Comments

• The first thing I would recommend is converting the footage to an editing codec, yeah. Personally, I would also de-interlace it and convert it to square pixels while I was converting it, but that's not essential.

What are the specs of your computer, and what version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator
    edited March 2015

hdv3 is a Final Cut Pro variant to shoe horn HDV into a Quicktime container. Most programs will choke on it because they don't ever expect HDV in an MOV file. If you're using Windows you can try Video Container Changer to change the container to an mpeg transport stream. There will be a drop down for "Output Container", set that to MPEGTS. You can also do it with ffmpeg from a command line:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts output.m2ts.

EDIT: Or what Axel said :)

• Thanks for the replies once again @AxelWilkinson and @Aladdin4d :)

I already have VirtualDub which also has the deinterlace and export to ProRes option (DNxHD didn't work, but not a problem), but it also scales the video to a 4x3 ratio which I find very weird. Anyway, I rescaled it to 1920x1080 as it was recorded and all is fine. :)

@TMFilmsHD the aspect ratio issue is because VirtualDub is primarily for AVI's and the AVI container doesn't allow you to specify an aspect ratio and always assumes square pixels. The "fix" is exactly what you already figured out setting the resize filter to what you're supposed to have and all is good.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I have to disagree and assume AVI can recognize pixel aspect ratio, because in my SD days I regularly rendered 4:3 (0.909 aspect) and 16:9 (1.21 aspect ratio) NTSC AVI files and playback correctly detected aspect ratio. It may be that it's a codec-dependent (Sony's DV AVI codec recognizing the aspect ratio--maybe uncompressed or Cineform or something else won't?) setting, and not in the wrapper, but it's there somewhere.

edited March 2015

@Triem23 that's because you're a Vegas user and have been spoiled by it:)

An MOV container fully supports frame and pixel aspect ratio flags but AVI does not. It calculates the frame aspect ratio based solely on width and height and assumes square pixels.

Using the situation in this thread as the example the original video has a fourcc of hdv3 which was registered by Apple as a spec for HDV in an MOV container for use in Final Cut. The frame aspect and pixel aspect ratios of  16:9 and 1.33:1 are set as flags in the container because HDV is not a codec that allows for this information to be embedded in the header of the video stream. This is why Apple went through the trouble of registering the fourcc in the first place so Final Cut could correctly handle HDV video. When imported into VirtualDub the aspect ratio information gets left behind because the import filter used takes an MOV and presents it to VirtualDub as AVI streams. VirtualDub then uses VFW and dutifully calculates the frame aspect ratio based on width and height assuming square pixels. The greatest common denominator for 1440 X 1080 is 360 which will give you a 4:3 aspect ratio (1080/3)*4=1440 which is what happened here. You have to apply a pixel aspect ratio correction to get the correct 16:9. In VirtualDub the internal resize filter accounts for the different pixel aspect when you resize HDV footage to 1920 x 1080.

Most major editing programs like Vegas and Premiere (remember the Final Cut exception above) make assumptions based on resolution and codec for the common formats so anything encoded as DV will be imported as either .91:1 or 1.21:1 even if you managed to render out square pixels (harder to do than it sounds BTW). Vegas nearly always gets this right. Premiere on the other hand is kind of infamous for it getting wrong on occassion especially with pre CC versions and importing stills. There is or at least used to be a file called Rules.txt in the Premiere plugins folder which you could edit to override Premiere's choices and manually setting the pixel aspect ratio is a relatively common thing for Premiere users.

There are some codecs that allow aspect ratio flags to be embedded into the header information of the video stream to get around the AVI limitation but the receiving program also has to  be coded to recognize it or it will assume square pixels unless it's a common resolution like DV . This can and is done with Xvid/Divx and MP4 variants.

And now you have one good reason as to why MOV is a preferred "pro" container. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited March 2015

@Aladdin4D oh, I am totally spoiled by being a Vegas user, and having to deal with "unprofessional" features like being able to mix footage of differing resolutions on a single timeline (unlike FCPX), importing footage with differing codecs directly into my timeline without being forced to transcode first (unlike Avid), and setting up a dissolve by simply overlapping two clips on a track without having to set up an A/B roll and transition track (unlike every other NLE). I ALSO don't have to waste time with trimmer windows. Not to mention the terrible burden of being able to place effect plug-ins at the bin, clip, track, or master output level (Looking at FCPX again). Plus Vegas went 64-bit before everything but Avid,  and had openCL support 4 iterations before Premiere, despite Adobe claiming "industry first OpenCL NLE on Windows."

It's almost unthinkable I get anything done using such primitive software! 

And now I am a Hitfilm user--and we all know Hitfilm's lack of expressions and a Puppet Warp makes it unusable for professional work! ;-) 

(Sorry.I had a client tell me today Vegas wasn't "professional level" software which lead to me asking why I was the one called when they needed an overnight job. Oh, because the Vegas/Hitfilm editor turns his projects around in a quarter of the time the FCP/Premiere/Avid/AE editors do? Slam my workflow again and watch my rate triple--a bargain if I am four times faster, yes?) 

@Triem23 you're preaching to the choir! The last time that happened to me my response was "So let me make sure I've got this straight. You want to hand me footage acquired with Sony cameras, audio you recorded with a Sony field recorder using a Sony condenser mic from an event where you used a Sony switcher instead of an Analog Way or a Barco but now all of the sudden you're afraid of a Sony product being used? Seriously? If I remember right you came to me because the Final Cut guy you used last time took 3 months to finish........."

Definitely triple the rate. If they balk say because of past history and in the interest of maintaining an ongoing relationship you can give them a discount. Make it 2.5 times the rate. They'll think you're doing them a favor and you still make more. 

• edited April 2015

It seems that there is no correct video codec installed on your computer to support HDV videos. Have a try to use a powerful tool to encode videos into some editable formats including DNxHD, H.264 .etc.

• edited March 2015

I would suggest you to compress the source MOV video and transcode the video to HitFlim accpted video and audio format with Pavtube.

Supported Import Containers & File Formats

AVCHD, AVI, DV, M2T, M2TS, MOV, MP4, MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Video (MPE, MPG, MPEG, M2V), MTS, MXF (DVCPro HD), WMV

AAC, AC3, MP3, M4A, MPA, WAV, WMA

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment