New version popup

I get it, there's a new version. Does the app really have to popup constantly to tell me? Am I allowed to download and install the update in my own good time?

Comments

• Rule 1 for software development should be: don't get in the user's way, right?

• I was wondering the same thing with the last update.  I was in the middle of working on a project and it seemed that every half hour or so I'd be prompted to download the new version of HF3.  I can understand having a pop-up when I open the program, but is there a way to turn off the repeated interruption phase?  I know you guys do as good of a job as anybody when it comes to not introducing new bugs in your updates, but if a program is working for me I'm generally loathe to update until the update fixes or adds a feature which I actually need at the time. 

Sometimes I just don't have time to do the update... other times I don't want to take the risk of breaking something that currently works for me.  So, is there somewhere in the settings to turn off the ongoing reminders? I won't say they drive me crazy... but they're definitely not driving me sane (admittedly, a longer drive.)

• Up until update #3 there was actually a bug which caused the update notification to pop up every 30 minutes. Which, agreed, was pretty annoying.

Update #3 has fixed this so that the update will only notify once per session. So once you guys do actually update, you won't be pestered like before.

• Great... now who do I blame for my mental health issues?   Oh wait... I'm still on Windows and Microsoft has been a been a convenient scapegoat for years.  Thanks so much for pre-addressing this issue here ;) 

• Personally I think software like this shouldn't phone home constantly like that in the first place. Yuck.

• Automatic checking for updates is a pretty standard thing these days. Certainly in the software I use, it's rare to find software which doesn't keep itself updated.

That said, if you would prefer it to not happen you can probably block it with your firewall.

• Automatic if you access the Internet via the app or when starting up sure, but then every 30 minutes after?
    And when I clicked the button I had to go download it manually?

• I have to say, I loved the update, but hated the popups. I wanted to wait until I had a few spare moments to update, so I kept ignoring it. One night I left my machine on with Hitfilm running over night and there was an armada of pushy dialog boxes asking me to upgrade the next morning. 

Not a huge thing, and given Hitfilm's amazing community reputation, something I was totally willing to give you guys more slack then I would other companies, but I think in the future something less obtrusive or pushy would be nice. Even if its just a "don't show me this for a few days/until I open the program again" kind of checkbox, or making something light up in the interface that lets us know there is a new update. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Simon did note that the current version has changed the popup to once per session. Problem solved. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment