Slow rendering - like really slow

edited February 2015 in Express Support

Hi, so I recently started using hitfilm for work, and was given a dell inspiron 15 5000 laptop (as i have to travel for work). It's specs meet the requirements to run hitfilm 3; 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, 5th Gen intel i7 processor, runs win 8.1 64bit and has a AMD Radeon R7 M270 4GB DDR3 video card.

Anyway, I do a lot of green screen stuff, but nothing more than 4 layers and nothing more than 3 minutes of video. However for some reason, it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to render a 2 minute video (in 1080p) so is there anything I can do to speed things up a bit? I'm fine with modifying my laptop, but not really sure what would help (e.g. more RAM, different graphics card, etc.) 

My brother, who uses camtasia, recommended I look into batch rendering, so if Hitfilm has any features like that, then that could work too (although I've had a look and it doesnt look promising). I've also noticed everyone on here seems to combine hitfilm with Vegas, which could be an option (but the company doesnt want to fork out money unless they need to)

Any suggestions will be appreciated as I will be getting 300+ of these videos to edit starting next week (yay)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited February 2015

I am gonna guess it's the GPU. It's above minimum spec, but it's a pretty terrible card. 

www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+R7+M270&id=3074

• Is there a situation with Radeon like there is with Nvidia where it might be using the built in GPU rather than the Radeon?

• edited February 2015

You can use BIOS settings or Catalyst Control Center to switch from discrete GPU R7 M270 to integrated GPU HD 5500, but integrated is not faster, you can look at the same videocardbenchmark db to look at numbers.

The only option to maintain your laptop and have a faster GPU is external GPU setup, you can ask here for help DIY eGPU projects .

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment