Contrast and brightness problem in HF3 & HF2U

When I'm using HF2U & HF3 via dynamic link in Vegas 12&13, contrast and brightness of selected clip is changing (is becoming much brighter and saturated).

Tested on laptop with i7-2670qm, 8GB RAM, radeon 6700m family, WIN7; HP workstation Z600, 2x5650xeon, 12GB RAM, GTX660, WIN8.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Sounds like a color space mismatch between Vegas and Hitfilm. I am not certain what color space Hitfilm defaults to (probably RGB), but I am going to link a couple of articles here to tell you what Vegas is doing. I am sure someone from fxhome will tell you Hitfilm's color space. 

After you know that, Hitfilm has a Color Space Conversion effect you should be able to dial in to correct the color shift. 

www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/colorspaces/colorspaces.html

www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/v8color/vegas-9-levels.htm

• I mostly shoot with Canon DSLR's and have a similar issue with it, however, I tend to convert my footage to DNxHD for easier editing, and I've found that I don't have the color/contrast issue between Vegas and Hitfilm when using DNxHD, so a added bonus on top of faster editing :)

• Thank you.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@rgbii, you should look at the articles I linked, too. It really is just a RGB, sRGB mismatch, and if you see what Vegas is doing it will help you shift between any program, not just Vegas/Hitfilm. 

• @Triem23 , thanks.I've glanced at some of that before (though I don't think those particular articles), and I probably should go over it again, but since DNxHD seems to work great for me between all my programs, I'll probably just stick to that.  A bit more disk space than I'd like, but consistant for me.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment