Step-by-Step on how to do render to an Intermediate codec, then work with it in HF

This discussion was created from comments split from: Proxy Folder Size Limitation.

Comments

• edited January 2015

Hi Robin

Could you provide us with a baby-step-by-step on how to do render to an intermediate codec, then work with it in HF and then do the final render with original files?

Thanks,

...Rowby

• edited January 2015

@Rowby I'm assuming you're using HF3. Load the original videos into any video program that can render to the intermediate codec of your choice. Adobe Media encoder, Sony Vegas, MPEG Streamclip should all work. Render the videos from that program using the intermediate codec. You can use any settings you like, down the resolution for example for a quicker performance. (Don't downsample the resolution though for doing vfx that have to be pixel-perfect.)

You should now have two versions of each video clip, the original and the transcoded (proxy) version. For editing in HF now use the proxy version. When you're done and happy with the result, you can either directly render the video if you chose not to lower the quality of the proxy files, or you can in the media panel right click on the proxy videos and relink them to use the original video files again and render the final video after that.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Concisely put, Robin! 

• Excellent. It was the final step that I wasn't sure of.   And yes, using HF3.

Rowby

• Glad that was helpful, enough so to deserve a split thread 

Just to add to this for those using HitFilm 2, the rightclick->relink won't work as this option doesn't exist in HF2. You can either do the manual work of pulling the proxies out of the project and adding the original videos back in. Or, you can cheat and take a slightly different route from the beginning:

When rendering the intermediate files, make sure they have the same names as their original counterparts, but are saved in a different folder. This way, to replace the proxies with the originals you just have to rename the folder the proxies are in, so HitFilm doesn't find them anymore. It will show you the relink dialog, and instead of the proxies you're now feeding HitFilm with the originals.

This obviously gets a little bit trickier if the file extensions of proxies and originals don't match, in that case you might have to relink each file on its own.

• @Robin - I split the thread as what was being asked by Rowby had nothing to do with the original thread & was a separate question. 

I do like a nice tidy forum where people can find what they are looking for without the thread going off topic inbetween. :D

• A general question for everyone who uses intermediates:

Do you trim before or after creating the intermediates?  I'm curious of the pros/cons of creating intermediates of the whole original video vs. just the final takes. (I'm not in the film/video industry, so I don't know if there is a generally accepted methodology/workflow or not...please let me know if there is).

Actually, if folks are willing to share their high--level work flows (perhaps in a bullet point form) I'd be most willing to read and learn from them :)

• @dplester I think its a case by case thing. I trim when I know I want to trim a clip because then I'm going to save drive space since the file will be smaller, but if I'm not sure, then I don't trim.

• I personally don't trim.  Changes can be made at any time, plus, I tend to make my initial intermediates lower quality, such as DNxHD 36 8bit since they are smaller and faster, then later when I'm closer to final renders, replace them with a higher quality, such as DNxHD 220.  Since none of the files lengths have changed from the originals during entire process, I can just replace all of them with the better quality, or even the originals and know nothing gets messed up.

• I always convert to intermediate while I am copying the files to my computer, so there are no extra steps added to my workflow.  The camera format clips never even make it to my harddrive. So all trimming is done afterward, for me. It is helpful to keep track of which takes you want to use, while filming, as you can not bother to copy the outtakes to your harddrive and save time.

An exception is if I'm filming an event, and there is large chunks of dead space on either end that I know I won't need. Then I will trim those off during the conversion process, so they don't take up space needlessly.

Sign in to comment