Toy Rocket test

Here's a link to a test I finished today utilizing parenting, particles and proxies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z9OGHCQZII0

Finally figured out from watching the missile  smoke tutorial that in order to make particles trail the object you don't parent it to object but use 'Attach to Layer' found under the Controls menu under General.

If I were to finalize the shot I'd have to build better toy blocks and refine to table look.   Would really like to figure out how to fade on the rockets instead of having them pop on and pop off.

Comments

• edited January 2015

Do you have the rocket layer set to 3D Unrolled? If you do, there is no opacity option. If you set it to 3D Plane then opacity is present and you can fade the rockets in and out. Don't know how that would affect the rest of the comp but it's worth a shot- maybe?

The vid itself looks great!

• edited January 2015

Yes, parenting the particle layer just moves the complete world of the particle system instead of just the point where particles spawn, the way you did it is in fact the desired way to do that ;)

@StormyKnight if he did that, the rockets wouldn't properly composite in Z-space anymore, they would appear ONLY in front of or behind the toy blocks except if you masked them. The opacity control isn't there in 3D unrolled mode, because 3D objects can't just have an opacity - it's appearance is completely controlled by textures, which then can be transparent. But sadly the texture controls can't be animated in HitFilm.

One way to go about this would be to make a 3-layer setup out of this, one base layer (containing only the background and building blocks), and one layer for each rockets that each contain just the building blocks and one of the rockets, just like they are animated right now. Place those 3 layers above another, and now you can use the opacity control of the top two layers to fade in/out each rocket.

• @StormyKnight Yes everything was set up as 3D unrolled, except the background which is just a  2D image at the bottom of the stack.  The basic setup is a separate composite shot that contains the rocket and emitters parented to an offset point that is parented to a central point moving vertically.

Then I brought that into a second composite shot where I duplicated the first composite and offset each in time.  That group of rockets comp was brought into the final composite shot where the table and blocks are in 3D space.

@Robin Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try.

• Robin, that was good advice. I put the rocket, table, blocks and light in the same composite shot, then brought multiple copies of it into an overall comp over the static background.   With each of the comp copies as 2D layers I am able to change the opacity to fade the rockets in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rooqQDOItC4&feature=youtu.be

Only problem I see with this technique is that the camera is locked down.  But still a good way to fade in fake 3D elements.

• That's true, if you want camera movement you have to do that first and "lock" that (too bad hitfilm has no functions for locking layers yet), and then do this technique. Glad it worked for now though!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited January 2015

I won't go into detail at the moment, but an alternate method is to copy your rockets into an embedded comp shot, grade them and the smoke to pure white, then set a black distance fog up--have the fog start just before where the blocks would be and ramp to full over maybe 100 units. You just created a luma matte for the top copy of your rockets in the main comp and don't have to switch opacity keyframes. Plus, you can move your camera--x and y translation or orbiting the blocks. Just don't change Z-distance or it falls apart. 

Well, for your shot it would fall apart. In the video below I used distance fog to generate a luma matte for a copy of the castle interior to generate occlusions with the atomic particles and particle systems.  With Hitfilm 3's unified 3D space I thought the technique would be obsolete, but I guess it still has value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrgRLx6Vdlo

Sign in to comment