Laptop not switching GPU properly (solved)

edited November 2014 in Express Support

I was following Simon's tutorial on new particles in HF3P and got as far as selecting the layer in the Appearance selector. Selected was an OBJ model I created in Blender on one of the layers. The first time the program crashed and the display driver recovered. The second time I tried it, I saw the selected layer appear as particles for a few seconds and then the program crashed again. The 3rd, 4th and 5th times the same thing happened.

I'm using:

OS- Windows 7 Premier 64-bit

Intel Core i5

Nvidia GeForce GT 555M

6GB RAM

I checked all drivers and they are all up to date.

I get this message:

"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7 stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

I also get this message:

"HitFilm 3 Pro has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

EDIT: Okay- I may have it figured out. I adjusted the 'Preferred graphics processor' setting to 'High performance NVIDIA processor' in the NVIDIA Control Panel and so far so good. Appologies for taking up space.

I know my GPU isn't the top of the line but I should be okay- shouldn't I?

Comments

• Unfortunately the smarts on these multi-gpu laptops systems is very much aimed at games so when regular software needs to harness the power of your better GPU, like HitFilm, sometimes they don't help it out at all and you have to do it manually. 

• Thanks, Josh! Fortunately, I don't do any gaming on my computer as it's dedicated to video production only. I don't even like going online with it outside a few trusted sites (this one included) because I'm so paranoid about picking up malware or the dreaded ransomware which has taken over my desktop. Now it's just a big paperweight until I rebuild it- it's an old XP and I want to build it to handle HF for the future so I'm going to try to trick it out with the highest quality tech I can afford.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment