Plugins loading slowly in Final Cut Pro X

edited November 2014 in Ignite Support

Since installing the HF Plugins, FCPX takes about 2 minutes to load. 

Without the plugins it loads in 6 seconds.

2011 MacBook Pro running 10.9.5

FCPX 10.1.3

Comments

•  Experienced that prblem last night too. Hope it gets a fix.

• FCPX scans every single plugin every time it starts. Because HitFilm 3 adds 130 new plugins, it does increase startup time.

We're investigating it our end to see if there's anything we can do to improve this, but it may be an issue on FCPX's end.

Do either of you have any other plugin packs installed? If so, have you noticed any startup differences caused by them?

• @SimonKJones Ah okay, that makes more since. I have motionVFX's mFlare and mSpy installed, but I'm not sure if there's been a difference in startup time with or without them (I've had them installed for quite a while). I also can't experiment with it at the moment, but if I get time today I'll let you know.

• Cool, it's be good to know any observations you find. We're going to do some extra testing this end as well to make sure we're not doing anything wrong here.

• edited November 2014

I removed the HF plugins and FCPX starts up in 5.9 seconds. Thats from the time I click the icon to the app being loaded and ready to go with an empty Library.

Same test after re-installing the HF plugins: 2min 9 seconds.

For plugins I have:

Coremelt Lock and Load

Coremelt SliceX

Coremelt TrackX

LUT Utility

Magic Bullet Looks

Neat Video

Digieffects Damage

Digieffects Delirium

MoType

PiPinator

Hawaiki Color

Hawaiki Autograde

Natress Levels and Curves

HyColorPro

• TommyCampbell - This issue has been raised with the developers, as soon as I have any more information I will update you.

Thanks,
    Ady

• @Ady Are there any news? Thank you

• This week's upcoming update includes work designed to improve FCPX loading times.

• Perfect, thanks.

• Hey Simon, can you give us a little more to chew on, in regards to this new update coming?

• @PaulHesh - I'm going to channel Simon here and tell you that you won't have to wait long AT ALL to get the new update at this point. For now we can say that the update contains some awesome new effects for you guys to play with and a number of fixes as well. Full details to come very soon!

• Works perfect now! 

• Awesome news. 

• Update #2 has fixed the FCPX loading time issues for me also.  Great work guys!!

• Hit film updated Ignite and when I did the update, a preset I created in FCPX that contained Hitfilm's FILM GRAIN became corrupted.   All the clips I used Film Grain (2,000 shots) won't appear in my timeline now.   So Hitfilm told me to uninstall and go back to the original Ignite.  Unfortunately that didn't fix the issue.   I have a 90 minute feature film that is corrupted with the Film Grain filter and I have to go back and start from scratch on each and every shot with a new Film Grain (from another company) and change and tweak the preset for each 2000 shots.   Hitfilm was unable to fix the problem, and since they have no phone support, our emails went back and forth for a week before we had to give up.  Even the Apple techs contacted Hitfilm and we're unable to resolve the problem -- other than narrow it down to being a Hitfilm issue for the corruption and not a FCPX problem.   This is the last time I use any filters from Hitfilm.    Six months of work down the drain.

• @HitFilmer70225 I'm sorry to hear you had such a major issue but I just want to make sure of what happened. Ignite was updated and somehow a preset got corrupted. Once the preset was corrupted FCPX would no longer show any of the clips using the preset on the timeline. The preset corruption was never fixed and now you have to start over from scratch? FCPX doesn't provide any mechanism for removing an effect from multiple clips? What happens if a 3rd party effects package is removed and completely unavailable? Does FCPX behave the same way locking you out of your clips? Don't get me wrong I completely understand why you're upset and angry but if an NLE didn't give me some way to recover my project(s) after a problem with a 3rd party plugin I'd be equally mad at the NLE vendor and never use it again either because that's equally unacceptable. 

• edited November 2016

@HitFilmer70225 I am very sorry for the the issue you're having, it is the first and only time we've had it reported to my understanding and we're still trying to work this out. Without your system, project and 3rd party plugins in front of our team it can be hard to track these things down but we are still trying to do so and will continue to try.

To be clear, Ignite can't have corrupted your project, but it does seem that after installing Ignite update a custom FCPX preset (which included an Ignite plugin and some 3rd party plugins) has become inoperable. There is likely no way to fix this preset easily (I don't see that FCPX allows you to update a preset that you've previously created) but there are some easy fixes for your project which shouldn't take very long at all (even with hundreds of clips).

a) Removing Ignite in this situation should mean that FCPX just doesn't render the effect anymore and your project will be exactly as it was but without the effect applied. I believe support suggested uninstalling using the installer already?

b) Another option is that FCPX also has great tools to remove and add effects and attributes from multiple clips very quickly and easily. It should be simple to replace the old grain with a new grain (even with the updated one from Ignite) should you need to do that.

REMOVE THE EFFECT EVERYWHERE

• Select all your clips (Edit > Select All)
    • From the "Edit" menu select "Remove Attributes..."
    • Select only the "Film Grain" effect and click "Remove"

APPLY NEW EFFECT EVERYWHERE

• Add your grain plugin to a clip and edit as desired
    • Make sure you have that clip selected
    • From the "Edit" menu select "Copy"
    • Select all the clips you wish to apply that noise to in the timeline (NOTE: Do not select the clip you just copied)
    • From the "Edit" menu select "Paste Attributes..."
    • Select the effect you want to apply to the other clips and press "Paste"

Again, sorry for the issue - if an effect isn't rendering then the options above should help you move forward. If the project itself has become corrupted then I'm afraid that wouldn't be anything to do with Ignite.

We'll keep working on this with you over support. Good luck!

• Hi, sorry to read about that. Just a general advice here, and please do not get me wrong , because this s*** can happen to all of us. 

First, never update during an editing. Not the software, not the system. 

Second, before updating FCPX you should always backup the old version of FCPX. There is a good tutorial from MacBreak Studio on this in regards to 10.3. 

This discussion has been closed.