Buying Guns!

Hey guys! So I need to buy guns to film the promo for my stock footage pack, but I'm not an expert at this stuff so I wanna make sure I get a good buy. I was looking over google and found this kit:
http://www.moretoyguns.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=a9a332abd1d6d032478a75fcaf417d0c&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=4T&Product_Code=441SALEC&Category_Code=530
It seems like this would be what I need. It has different types of guns which would help me show the variety of the pack, and the price doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure they won't be the most detailed guns out there, but they seem fine from the pictures and are listed as being 'full size' (which I assume means that they're real life size).
What do you guys think? Thanks.

Comments

• Check some of these sites they also have used stuff that doesn't work but you can get a lot of guns for next to nothing. Hope this helps.
    http://www.cheapairsoftguns.net/airsoft-guns.html
    http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/
    https://www.airsoftgunslinger.com/
    http://www.airsplat.com/
    http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/
  • edited August 2011
    Hi Guys,
    I have used http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/ and http://www.airsplat.com/ both have had some great guns.
    I have the following:
    - G18C (Full Auto) :D (like COD MW2)
    - Walther PPK and P99 (Bond Guns)
    - All Metal MP5 with a built in Laser Sight and a Red Dot Sight
    - M4A1 with a Green Laser Sight and a Holo Sight :D
    - CQB Shotgun with a Red Dot Sight
    - Sniper Rifle with a 9 x 50 Scope (Red and Green Illuminated Mil Dot) :D
    I'm a collector as well as using them, they are all great. I highly recommend both these websites.
    Like he said above you could get used or non-functional guns cheap. Spring guns are far cheaper than gas or electric guns. Also you can get some good deals and packages on Amazon.
  • Be careful, I have bought some of these online on ebay & Amazon and found that they were the made of the cheapest plastic and poorest construction. They would break very easily just pulling the trigger, let alone in any stunt activity when shooting video of them. The are other inexpensive, but better built airsoft guns are better built but will cost more.
    I would suggest looking at the products in a brick & mortar store, and making note of which manufacturer, and models you like best, then find them on sale online. They are always on sale at some store online, or ebay.
    Of course if you are just going to use them gently on screen then they should work if you paint the orange caps on the end.
  • You might want to look into renting rather than buying - you might get more choice that way and save some money.
    If I recall correctly, Sam and Niko over at Corridor Digital use Evike for their weapon needs: http://www.evike.com/ Might be worth checking out.
  • I've used evike.com many times and have been happy with their quality products and service. But if Rody is just wanting some cheap guns to showcase his muzzleflashes, then those $40-pack-of-4 would be fine in my opinion.
  • Thanks for all the links. A lot of cool stuff there, but as far as pricing goes I didn't really find a deal as good as the first one I found. Like Darren says, I just needs some basic stuff to show off some muzzle flashes. They don't really need to last as I have no use for them once filming is done. Thanks!
  • Yes- thank you guys for all the links! Very helpful!!!!

Thanks for all the links. A lot of cool stuff there, but as far as pricing goes I didn't really find a deal as good as the first one I found. Like Darren says, I just needs some basic stuff to show off some muzzle flashes. They don't really need to last as I have no use for them once filming is done. Thanks!

Never say never! ;)
  • edited August 2011
    Any ideas for us UK guys as our laws are much tighter?
  • Hey Roddy, did you ever check out hobbytron.com? I never had a problem with them
  • @madmike - You'll find it very difficult to find suppliers in the UK of 'realistic imitation firearms' (RIF).
    Since the introduction of the Violent Crime Reduction Bill, it is illegal to sell RIFs to anyone who isn't demonstrably a registered airsoft skirmisher, a registered re-enactor, or a film or TV company. Because proving that you're a genuine film-maker is difficult (as compared to being a registered airsofter/re-enactor), unless you're working for a registered media company, you'll probably find it very difficult to find a supplier in the UK (legally, at least).
    It is also a crime to import, or cause someone to import, an RIF. So if you buy from a foreign website, and customs seize your delivery, then you may very well end up arrested and charged with importing an illegal RIF. You would have a defence under the VCRB if you can prove that you imported it purely for the purpose of film-making; but as a private citizen, I imagine that will be difficult, and the police might be able to convince a magistrate or jury that it's possible that you were importing the RIF for something other than film-making.
    It's also worth pointing out that if you modify a non-realistic imitation firearm to make it look like a realistic firearm (for example, painting over the red/orange muzzle tips, or repainting a red or pink prop in black) - you are commiting an offence; specifically, manufacture of an RIF, which can carry a pretty heavy sentence. So I would advise you to steer clear of doing that. The chances of being caught with one are probably pretty minimal - but if you do get caught, you're in serious trouble. So don't risk it.
    I think, given the legal situation, you only have a few options. One is to join an airsoft club (and attend regularly) in order to be a registered airsoft skirmisher. Another is to join a recognised re-enactment society. Doing either of those will give you the necessary paperwork to be able to purchase or import RIFs. But either is probably a pain in the ass.
    The other option is, sadly, to not make films with guns. At least until you're able to set up a proper film-making company, to ensure that you have proof that you're purchasing/importing RIFs. But still be prepared to be arrested and charged if you go around in public with any imitation firearms! The golden rule is to inform the police well in advance of your filming - and you may need to pay a firearms officer to be present on set. Until you can afford to do both of those things (setting up a company, pay the police for the shoot) - my suggestion is to find other things to film.

As ever, this is all just my interpretation of the legal situation in the UK, and SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE, and is my opinion only. For legal advice, you will need to speak to a solicitor/lawyer.

You can find some more resources/information here - at a re-enactor's site and here - at a UK based airsoft retailer.

Hope that's helpful :)
    Cheers,
    Arktic.
  • (READ THIS PLEASE) Go to www.airsoftmegastore.com. and go to "singnature packages" then go to "Gift/Variety" then a whole bunch of lots of airsoft guns at an affordable price
  • I think, your own Link isnt that bad... a little Color for the red Parts, and everything is fine. ;-)
  • Hey thanks Briand96!
  • But I agree with Simon - if you want variety it would be better to rent a nice selection.
  • I checked and it doesn't seem to be any airsoft rental places near where I live. I found a pretty sweet pack on airsoftmegastore with more guns at the same price I listed above, so I'll go with that one. Thanks
  • Cheers for teh info arktic. I read into it further and any realist firearms already own are exempt. This is an insane law as I went on www.relics.org.uk and enquired and they would cover the guns in a pvc coating that can be easily stripped off. But if the laws still stand by peeling of this layer you are breaking the law as you have then have then created a realistic firearm.
    though by law wouldnt it have to be proven that you bought the gun after the law came into affect.
    I wanted a shotgun and was only going to use it on greenscreen but even if I built one backyard effects style that too would be illegal.
    and any short film with a gun that looked fake would look cheap.
    as for the laws stating you need to be a procction or film company. For hobbyists or people just starting out that would be almost impossible.
  • edited August 2011

Cheers for teh info arktic. I read into it further and any realist firearms already own are exempt. This is an insane law as I went on www.relics.org.uk and enquired and they would cover the guns in a pvc coating that can be easily stripped off. But if the laws still stand by peeling of this layer you are breaking the law as you have then have then created a realistic firearm.
    though by law wouldnt it have to be proven that you bought the gun after the law came into affect.
    I wanted a shotgun and was only going to use it on greenscreen but even if I built one backyard effects style that too would be illegal.
    and any short film with a gun that looked fake would look cheap.
    as for the laws stating you need to be a procction or film company. For hobbyists or people just starting out that would be almost impossible.

That's just ridiculous to me. I live on a small farm in the country and don't know what I would do without my guns. I have a .22 pistol as my "varmint gun." I also have two rifles. Now I would never even consider using one of these as a prop weapon in a video, but I'm in the states, so Airsoft is just a web page or Big 5 Sporting Goods away.
    Sorry they make it so restricting for you.
  • Also, if you are filming in a public place it is a good idea to advise local law enforcement of what you are doing. They may of course ask to check your filming permits for the area if required. Never a good idea to have people using realistic looking guns in a public place unless the cops and local residents are in the loop.
  • I'll be filming in a private area, but it will be outside and neighbors might notice. Should I just tell the neighbors, or is it also good to call local police and let them know?
  • edited August 2011
    It never hurts to notify surrounding neighbors. A simple letter mailed to them letting them know the times and dates and your contact info would be fine. If you are on private property and these are prop guns and have notified the neigbors, I see no need to notify the police, but again, it never hurts.
    I never do, but then again, one of my crew is a cop :D

• I never do, but then again, one of my crew is a cop :D

Nice! ;)
    Anyway, I agree. A letter in the mail would be a good way to go IMO that way you don't have to talk to them face to face, especially if someone has a problem with it ;)

• If you are on private property and these are prop guns and have notified the neigbors, I see no need to notify the police

I would suggest that you inform the police - a friend of mine was filming a scene for a TV documentary a few years ago, in a private rented office block; they'd informed the people in the surrounding offices, but not notified the police what they were going to be doing. The scene was a re-enactment of a hostage taking, so they had several actors wearing balaclavas and holding prop machine guns. A passer by, who didn't work in the neighbouring offices and so hadn't been told about the shoot, noticed what he thought was a real hostage taking, couldn't see the camera, and phoned it in. Needless to say, the police surrounded the building in minutes, and my friend (an assistant producer, and also playing the part of a hostage taker in the scene) had a police sniper aiming at him. And if they'd done anything that looked aggressive, my friend would've ended up getting shot. Luckily it all worked out fine - but the police weren't best pleased, and the production company got fined.
    The moral of the story - you *should* tell the police, because if a passer by or a passing cop mistakes your film for a real situation, the risks to your safety are huge.
    If you can't get the police to co-operate, then DON'T FILM WITH PROP WEAPONS. It's as simple as that. If you do, you're possibly commiting an offence, and you may well end up getting shot. It's happened to film-makers before, and it will happen again. Don't let it be you!
    Cheers,
    Arktic.
  • Truer and wiser words have been spoken by Arktic B-)
  • Okay for those in the Uk who really cant get around the Laws. We can buy guns that are colourful like half blue and black so would it be possible to fix this in post with colour correction of some sort?

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment