Screen X

Has anyone heard of Screen X? It's a few months old, but I only came across it today and am interested to see what you all think. They think the technology will be widely available by the start of 2015, but can you honestly see Hollywood movies adopting this?
The article can be found here:
Are we getting to the point of information overload here to have a really enjoyable experience at the cinema?

• edited May 2014
    Now if they had not just thrown arbitrary images on the sides and instead had an expanded view of the action, this wouldn't be a bad idea.....except for the sconces on the wall. Lighting issues may have to be changed 'cause I wouldn't want to see fixtures through a feature length film.
    Also, how would the people near the front of the theater enjoy the added sides? Would they have to start the rows of seats further back? Then increase the size of the front screen to compensate?
    This would have been very cool for Gravity- but I did enjoy the noticeable 3D unlike Jaws 3 years ago. I went to see Jaws 3 when I was a teenager but was unimpressed. The only part of the film I noticed in 3D was the arm that floated down through the water- big whoop- a whole 8 seconds. Todays 3D can be brilliantly executed resulting in it being quite enjoyable.
    I think there will be a growing period for Screen X in which if they don't resolve some issues it will end up on the scrap heap with the old 3D. Screen X isn't exactly new though. Disney World in Florida has a 360 theater so no matter where you look, the camera is at the center of the action, kind of like Google Maps' street view. When I saw the film shown in Disney's 360 theater, they had really interesting shots. There was no plot, it was just a series of vistas i.e. they went down Lombard St. in San Fransisco (the steepest, goofiest street in the U.S.) and there was one really neat shot of a sunset over the ocean- when you turned around, you could see land behind you. There were some aerial shots of cities where you'd approach a building, go around it and then look behind you to see it getting farther away. It was pretty cool and quite innovative for 1977 or '78.....and far more impressive than the Jaws 3D which was out 6 years after my visit to Disney World.
    This is Lombard St. in case anyone is curious.
  • At the Universal Studios backlot tour there is a segment where the trolley you are riding in goes through a tunnel, and the entire tunnel is screens showing the T-rex fight from King Kong in 3D.  The entire trolley shakes as its battered around by dinosaur tails and giant apes, and the movement of the video is carefully synced to the movements of the vehicle.  Everywhere you look, the scene surrounds you, which is what this reminds me of, a little bit.  It is a really cool gimmick at the Studio tour, but I have a hard time seeing it catch on for wide release.
  • That Universal Studios Tour sounds awesome :) But yes, I agree - even though they're looking to push out this technology pretty hard over the next few years, I can't see it catching on really. 
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    It's another attempt to justify the cinema experience by bolting on extra stuff that you can't do at home. As Axel says, interesting and fun for a fairground ride but not much else - aside from anything else, this gets in the way of the creative process rather than enhancing it.
    Cinema should focus on improving the experience of actual movie watching, rather than trying to change what movies are.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment