Captain America: The First Avenger

What do people think of the latest Marvel movie, and the last before we get the big team-up in The Avengers?
I thoroughly enjoyed it, though the first half was considerably stronger than the second, with the middle relying far too much on montage sequences (amusing, given the various TEAM AMERICA spoofs of the Captain America trailers).
The grenade scene during training in particular worked brilliantly...very simple scene, but played absolutely perfectly.
Looking forward to seeing how on earth they're going to manage all these characters in The Avengers...

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I just got around to seeing this last night, finally, and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Everyone on the cast did a terrific job. Tommy Lee Jones in particular managed to squeeze every ounce of humour out of the lines he was given, which were already terrific.
    As far as managing all the characters in Avengers, the fact that Joss Whedon is writing the script gives me very high hopes. Have you read the 25-issue arc of Astonishing X-men that he wrote? If not, get thee down to your local comic shop and pick up the 4 trade paperbacks, and read it. It does the best job of any comic plot-line, ever, of deftly handling each individual member of a large team, but also taking advantage of their unique abilities to get the job done. And giving each individual character a decent arc and some terrific moments within the larger story. It is the best-written storyline of any comics I've ever read, and while I can't say I've read comics comprehensively, I have read a fair few. If he can put together a comparable story for The Avengers, it will be an amazing film.
    Whedon has clearly demonstrated an above-average understanding of the comic book genre, which I have high hopes that he can masterfully combine with his filmmaking skill to craft a mindblowing bit of entertainment.
    Astonishing X-Men: Gifted
    Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous
    Astonishing X-Men: Torn
    Astonishing X-Men: Unstoppable
    Find them and read them.
  • Yeah, Whedon has consistently demonstrated a real skill at balancing large ensembles, whether it's in Buffy, Angel or Firefly - plus his comics work. I can't really think of a better person to at least try to get The Avengers right.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment