Huge size of movie exported to MP4

I created a movie of about 2 minutes to try cloning myself. I ended up with 2 clips of course with me on the right in one and on the left in the other. Using the tutorial videos I masked off one side and created the movie. Fine and dandy. I exported it to MP4 and it was 148 megs. I also have Pinnacle Studio 16. I used the same two clips and made the same video. It exported to MP4 at only 12 megs. I find this outrageous! What is the deal? This affects where and how I can email or post this on the internet. I would like to know if anyone has noticed this "feature" of Hit Film?? Thanks for looking.

Comments

• There are a lot of things that can effect the size of a video. When exporting, you can adjust the video settiings. 
    Check the manual page for exporting, but you'll probably want to start by adjusting the target bitrate.
  • To make video files really small, information has to be thrown away.  The compression settings let you determine how much of your video data you want to throw out, to make the file smaller, and how much you want to keep, which gives larger files and better quality.  Compression is always a balancing act, based on your specific needs for space and quality.
  • I don't recall being asked to choose any compression settings. Just clicked on export. Of course I could be way off on that. But I know I made no choices on the export using Pinnacle Studio.
  • In HitFilm, the whole left side of the Export screen is made up of settings you can chose from.  The right side explains what each of them do.
    Some programs will hide the options, but hopefully even Pinnacle allows you to access them when you want, as there are no export settings that are appropriate for every occasion.  Being able to adjust the settings based on what you are going to use the exported file for is fairly critical.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited March 2014
    http://hitfilm.com/reference-manual#exporting_to_your_computer.htm
    Data Design and Mr. Brannen, you've activated my sarcasm gene:
    The link above is to the Export to Computer section of Hitfilm's online manual. This manual is available on the Support section of this site, can be opened within Hitfilm from the help menu, and there's a button for the manual on the community page that Hitfilm boots to. ALSO, when you go to Hitfilm's Export screen, there's a big white panel in the middle full of text covering the Export options, and, yes, it mentions the bitrate slider.
    If you "don't recall" being asked for compression settings, then I have to point out that it's your failure to read the information that was, literally, right in front of you. But thank you for pointing out Hitfilm's "feature" of providing higher quality output than Pinnacle.
    Additionally, if you're concerned about YouTube posting, Hitfilm will exporr directly to YouTube for you, using optimum settings for YouTube. Further information on this can be found in the online manual, or, on the information panel on the Export screen you didn't read.
    End of sarcasm.
    Now, let's talk compression a bit. No sarcasm. Education.
    Uncompressed 1080p video at 30fps and 8-bit color is 60 MegaBYTES per second--or 480 MegaBITS per second. (Video compression is in Megabits) Most consumer/prosumer video ccameras, and DSLRs record between 20 and 35 mbps (mbps is megabits per second--megabytes per second is MBps) Obviously, this is compressing video to maybe less than 1/20 of it's original size. Hitfilm's default output is at 15mbps. YouTube wants 10-12mbps for HD. Blu-ray supports up to 50mbps. Netflix and Hulu stream at about 12mbps. If Pinnacle's files are as small as you say, then Pinnacle is outputting around 2mbps, which is ok for a smartphone, but not so good for a big screen.
    Hitfilm's default output rate is a higher quality than most of the video we see in our lives, but it's not that great.
    Mp4 is a "lossy" compression scheme--the more you compress, the more fine detail you lose, the more color banding you see, and the more jagged edges will look.
    Point being, if you want to compress video for email, turn mbps to about 2. In my case, I change the Export "profile" to "4.1," and mbps to 35 for my master render, the transcode that to a lower bitrate if I need to.
    So, you deserved the sarcasm, but I hope the second part of this post clarified things a bit.
  • Hi,

I know this is quite a bit old but I would like to try my luck...

I have an mp4 file at 140MB. When I export it from Hitfilm as mp4 also, it turned to 848MB... I just added some background music of 12MB plus some transition (fade) effects.

Regarding the export settings, I kept the bit rates at 10mpbs to 15 mbps.
    The original mp4 was at 1920 x 1080 at 60fps from OBS, and this is the same settings I had with Hitfilm (I just want to preserve the quality). With the "profile 4.0", I get a lot of "!" beside the resolution, fps and profile so I had to change it to 5.0 then it looks fine.

What I would like to understand is, I'm not making any enhancements but just preserving the quality, yet, I get a lot larger file size. If I tweak the export settings to somewhat lower, I lose much of the quality but still stuck with a larger file (around 300MB, still twice the original size but a lot poorer in quality). What seems to be the problem here?

Does that mean that my original video was highly compressed? Then Hitfilm merely reverts it back? If that's the case then, why such a qood quality if it's already compressed? Then why I get a poorer quality with a larger file size out of Hitfilm?
    I produce the video from the screen record of OBS at 1920x1080 60 fps...

Please help. Thank you 

• @MicoDalistan

First: mp4 level 4.0 doesn't support 60fps encoding. This is why you have to go to Level 5.0

Secondly, given how you've described your filesizes, it sounds like you've used a fairly typical OBS record rate of about 3-3.5 mbps/sec. Now, uncompressed 1920x1080 video has a data rate of over 2.9 gigabits/second. Your source video is being encoded as a ratio of close to 1000:1. Another comparison. Standard Def video at an NTSC 29.97 framerate would typically burn to DVD at about 6mbps. 1080p video has six times the pixel data of SD 480i footage. At 60fps thats twice the temporal data. In short you're cramming twelve times the information of a SD DVD stream into half the space.

It's fair to say your video is highly compressed. 

Now, encoding from Hitfilm at 15mbps is still a 200:1 compression. And, yes, this means your once-compressed video is getting recompressed again, from scratch. At this point the data is kind of falling apart. 

Assuming you are recording locally (not livestreaming) you should raise the record rate inside OBS. Taking the bitrate up from 3500 to 10000 will make a huge difference on output quality. 

Sign in to comment