Trying to find a good camera

Hey awesome people, I’m trying to find a good camera for filming with. Obviously, I use Hitfilm 4 express to edit with. So, here’s what I need answers to:

A. What is the best format of video file to use in hitfilm?

B. What is the type of camera you guys like using?

I like shooting moving shots, I’m looking for a camera under $500 that shoot real 1080p and with manual control, preferably a DSLR.

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• I use a canon T5i (got the video creator kit) and the rode mic is okay only due to the t5i's horrible, more or less unusable preamps. The camera itself is great, I've had it for a year or so and made over 50 videos with it.

(For the same money I got the t5i for last year you could get a t6i or an ebayed t7i. the only difference is autofocus, which, you know, depends on how you use it)

However, I hadn't really heard about the whole mirrorless thing back then, but I would def. take a look at the g7 by panasonic.

Anything shot by a "cheap" video camera (compared to like a c300 or red) is going to export low bitrate so you should always convert to proress or equivalent for PCs, because..... computer science.

Hope that helped

• Well, i use Canon M10 because its so great. The quality of the image and also the great colour that blend together so well, makes me want to record everything in my way. Btw, if you want to see videos with a great colour grading, please visit here Mocca

• Best format seems to be Cineform. At least it works best for me (in fact, I would not use Hitfilm for editing without converting to cinerform first).

I had a look for cheap cameras and you can get a panasonic GX850 (AKA GX800 depending on the market) for less than 500 dollars.

Here is a review https://www.pocket-lint.com/cameras/reviews/panasonic/139813-panasonic-lumix-gx800-review-an-affable-affordable-entry-level-mirrorless-camera

Here is a pretty good review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ-dzOPBgQs

• As an acquisition format, you really want to stick ProRes/DNxHD or Cineform or raw. H.264/h.265 are bad for post (that's why they're called delivery codecs and not mezzanine codecs). 

Remember, HEVC = h.265. Great delivery codec, very bad for editing.

XAVC or h.264 All-Intra can work, though it's not nearly as editor friendly as ProRes/DNx* you transcode it to Cineform or Grass Valley's HQX and get very nice results with it.

I'd recommend looking for a used Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera or similar. It records HD, and gives you a couple of options of post-friendly codecs, one of them raw, though if your lighting is good, you don't necessarily need raw to get good keys for compositing.

• Hey,

At your budget, I would suggest the Sony Alpha a6000. It costs around $550.  Some of its features include a 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, focus sensitivity range from EV 0 – EV 20, a hybrid AF (179-points focal plane phase detection as well as 11fps continuous shooting. It records clear videos at Full HD 1080/24/60P.

You can check out this pretty decent vlogging camera review for more options. I hope this helps X

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment