Update issues

For some reason my desktop pc was not updating hitfilm pro as it should, however my laptop was getting the updates. And while I searched inside the hitfilm settings and such I could not find any setting that would allow or not allow updates to happen or be notified there were updates. Nor is there an option that I found like in most other software "check for updates" it was so out of date it was still running version 6.something only way I was able to get it updated was actually do a google search for Hitfilm Pro updates, which took me to the web page for the update which I had to download on my own. 

Still confuses me as to why my laptop was getting the update prompts at hitfilm startup yet my desktop isn't. Is there a setting somewhere that I should check and see if it is turned off?

• @FlyingBanana78

A few questions, apologies if some of them seem ridiculous:

- Is your desktop always connected to the internet?

- Have you ever clicked the "Not now" or "Remind me in a week" buttons in the Update dialog?

- Is it possible you have an antivirus or firewall program blocking the activation app?

The way the automatic update check works is basically to compare your current version number with the latest known on the website when you launch the program. This is done via the activation helper, in the background. If the activation helper is unable to access the internet, it won't go any further.

• edited March 14

@DanielGWood no virus software is running just security essentials which is same as what the laptop is running. As for internet, yes it is always connected to the internet hooked up hard line not WiFi. Also I never do a remind me later or not now for updates, figure I might as well get the update before going into a project rather than after. And system specs are 32 gigs of ddr4, i7 processor, MSI gtx 1070 8 gig gpu, storage is one 120 gig ssd one 250 gig ssd and 1 tb platter drive, and windows 10 current version. I am administrator on the desktop PC as well.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Thanks for checking  that.

Can you please open the following file in a text editor (Notepad will do on Windows if nothing else is available), and check that "autoCheckForUpdates" is true, and let me know what it says for "disableUpdateChecksUntil"?

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\FXHOME Helper\hitfilm-pro-settings.json

Beyond that there isn't much else I can suggest, but it would be great to know if you do get the update prompt, next time we publish an update.

• @DanielGWood I will do that once I get back home to my desktop. I will post back on the result when I get it. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction and prompt responses.

• @DanielGWood ok I cut and pasted what you asked in a text back home and had it checked, this is what I got back from the reply.

• That all looks fine.

If the issue persists, contact us in Support and we'll see if there's anything further we can check - we could for example check some of the log files, but that will be easier to do just after there's an update, as there will be less data to trawl back through.

• @DanielGWood ok once I see there is an update show up on my laptop I will tag you back on this thread here to see if the desktop prompts me for an update or if I have to do it manually still and then share what log info you need.

• Excellent, thanks for your help!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment