I have a cool little workflow tip...

Triem23Triem23 Moderator
A while ago I created "template" files for myself, one for each resolution and framerate I use. I set these files to read-only, and placed them in my "templates" folder on my desktop (Actually, in a Hitfilm subfolder--other subfolders exist for Vegas, etc...).
My templates contain two Composite shots. One is a blank, because the first thing anyone does in Hitfilm is either load media, or create a composite shot.
The second Composite Shot is the clever bit: I have text layers set up to use this comp is a notepad. I can type notes for myself on what links to what, which composites and embeds drive whatever effect, etc...
If I were to build a template, I would have a "readme" file integrated into the project.
So, you know, I thought maybe someone else would find the ideas useful. :-)
DOWNLOAD UTILITY TEMPLATES: https://www.dropbox....t Templates.zip

Comments

• Nice. I do sometimes use text layers to provide simple instructions in a template.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    Hey, someone else was gonna think of something similar, too. ;-)
    For Hitfilm, I only need four; 720p and 1080p @23.98 and 29.97, since I use Hitfilm as a media generator.
    Vegas, I have to have varied resolutions, frame rates and tracks--event work, so 2-4 cameras per res/frame rate, etc.
    Photoshop, DVD box templates, DVD art templates, title templates (Vegas will render a credit roll done as, say, a 720x16000, 0.91 png and pan/crop a lot faster than the same credit roll generated in it's own text tools), pages for photo books, etc, etc.
    But, having a folder of blank templates adds up to a real timesaver after awhile. And, if I change machines, or uninstall/reinstall software, I can take my templates with me.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited August 2014
    It occurs to me that, if I'm going to talk about templates, I should post the silly things.
    DOWNLOAD UTILITY TEMPLATES: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jx7i5e2dtb4rnyr/Hitfilm%20Start%20Templates.zip
    The following is taken from the README notes for these templates:
    These are simple start templates for Hitfilm 2 Express and Ultimate.
    Very simply,each template contains two composite shots--one with a 3D camera that's been "Tripod-rigged"* and a second composite shot with a simple text object set up for online notes. The Media Pool has been set to "Sort by Media," as that's how I prefer to sort my media pool.
    These templates have been flagged as "Read-Only" in Windows, so on Windows machines you'll be unable to accidentally save over them. I have no idea about Mac.
    Fonts for the "NOTES" Composites has been set to Arial--this should be standard on all machines.
    *"Tripod-Rigged Camera" you ask? Read on:
    Hitfilm interprets keyframe rotations using a Euler order of X/Y/Z--this means when you set keyframes, Hitfilm FIRST rotates on the X-axis, then the Y-axis, then the Z-axis. This can lead to difficulties with creating realistic camera movement. A camera on a tripod would Pan on the Y-axis independently of Tilting on the X-Axis. Since Hitfilm always rotates the X-axis (Tilt) before the Y-axis (Pan), when directly keyframing a camera in Hitfilm, it does not behave like a real camera.
    The cameras in these templates have been rigged to allow the camera to behave correctly, as if it were actually mounted on real-world hardware.
    The point "Camera X-Tilt" controls camera up/down tilt--the only thing that should be keyframed for this point is X-axis rotation.
    The point "Camera Y-Tilt" controls camera left/right pan--the only thing that should be keyframed for this point is Y-axis rotation.
    The point "Camera Dolly" controls camera position--this is the point you drag to have the camera move to different locations.
    The built-in Hitfilm camera rotates around a "nodal" point--this means that the virtual camera rotates around the center of the "imaging plane" (i.e. the digital sensor of a camera). Unless you are using a "nodal" or "panorama" tripod head, real-world cameras do not rotate around the nodal point. The cameras in these templates have the X/Y rotation points set just a little bit "behind" and "below" the camera nodal point--it's a subtle thing, but it does mean that these cameras are behaving much more like a camera mounted to an actual tripod head.

Sign in to comment