Audio Waveform Issues

Hello everyone! instead of typing all of this out, I went ahead and made a video explaining the issue I've been experiencing since day one....like back in the Hitfilm 3 days. if anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzsY_rnV1eE&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

I always extract audio to separate wave files for several reasons but the ones the matter here are 1) better performance and 2) when the waveform doesn't update all I have to do is double tap the space bar for pause/play to have the waveform update.

• No way to "fix". Waveform computation is a low priority and is not done until playback is idle. Otherwise it might cause stutter in playback. The same happens with timeline video thumbnails. Not updated until paused. It's just how Hitfilm operates.

Hitfilm version 5 or before ( Hitfilm 2017) have a high overhead in waveform display so this is probably a good thing. Hitfilm 6 and later have a dramatically lower waveform display overhead but still operate the same. No waveform or thumbnail update on a timeline playback scroll until paused.

• thanks for the reply guys! what i might end up doing is only use Hitfilm for compositions then.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@NormanPCN Depending on the media being used sometimes pause alone won't update the waveform. You have to move the playhead like he does in his video before it will update. The only reliable way I've found to have the waveform update with just pause is to extract any audio to separate wave files. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment