Hitfilm 4 Express 2017 Never Works

So when I first got Hitfilm 4 Express 2017 I was super hyped because this is the best looking free editing software I've seen, and it booted up fine, downloaded fine, etc. So I go into it to create a new project and when I go to import a file it just freezes and the application doesn't respond so I have to force quit it. This happens every single time I have tried, which is probably over 20 times. I've gotten all the new updates for the software and the problem still has never been fixed. Could someone please tell me what is going on?

I'm using a MacBook Air 13 Inch Early 2015

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6

If you need more information on the laptop please ask

Comments

• @Mr_Diamond981 ;Looking up your system specs online, it appears that your hardware meets the minimum requirements to run HitFilm, though it would help to know how much RAM is in that system.

Another thing that would help is to get more details about the file format and codec of the media you're trying to import.  If you would, install MediaInfo and drop one of your problem files into it.  Switch the view to Text mode, then copy the report you see and paste it in here as a new comment.

On a side note, there's no such thing as "HitFilm 4 Express 2017".  Most likely you're running HitFilm Express 2017.  4 is the version prior to 2017.

• Update your video drivers.  Mine did the same until I updated.

• @davekufner ;@Mr_Diamond981 is on a Mac.  Mac systems aren't as prone to video drivers causing problems like Windows systems.  Also, video drivers can't be updated separately on a Mac (at least not to my knowledge).  Mac video drivers are bundled with other OS updates, so as long as MrDiamond is up-to-date with OS updates, the drivers will be updated as well.

That aside, I don't get the impression that the video drivers are the issue here.  Still waiting for answers to my earlier questions to know more about the situation.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@jsbarrett I sadly chuckle a bit here. I remember the entire Mac development team at the Blender Foundation quitting in 2015? Why? They specifically stated that Apple making it impossible to update GPU drivers meant that Macs were stuck using obsolete, occasionally buggy drivers. An actual quote from the resignation letter was "...because of driver and support issues we no longer view the Mac as a viable platform for multimedia development..."

Obviously new, and less grumpy, devs rejoined the team, but it was a shocking read at the time. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment