Scary Figure Outside Window Effects (Inspired by Insidious)

I recently downloaded Hitfilm Express and I am completely new to filmmaking. I am just starting to learn how to use this software. I want to make a very short horror video inspired by the opening scene to the first Insidious movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCQLGZTBxI).

I've shot a video in my bedroom and I've already edited it with the Insidious opening titles. The only thing left is using visual effects to add in a shadowy figure outside my window slowly placing it's hands on the window as the camera moves towards the window. I want the entity to have long creepy fingernails too. But since I am completely new to this, I completely have no idea on how to do it. So I really need help as I'm completely clueless.

P.S. If you need to take a look at my video, send me your email address and I will send you the .mp4 file for the video. I couldn't paste the .mp4 file here for some reason. Maybe anyone could help with that as well? Also, hope you don't mind the grainy quality of my video as I shot it using a very old camera. Do give me some feedback and constructive criticism after watching my video. Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 31

@geraldKIING ;  You can't post photos or videos directly to the forum.  You have upload video to youtube and make it public, I believe, and post the link in your post here as you did with the Insidious clip.  I think you can send a private link by DM to a user.  Photos have to be hosted on your cloud service or picture hosting site and a link pasted here in the forum.

As far as your effect, there are a couple of ways to approach it.  Easiest, would be to film your shadowy figure outside your window, or any first floor window, looking through the glass, and then make a mask in Hitfilm over the window pane and of the footage you already have and place the footage with your figure under it.  You'll need to track the window with some tracking to keep them aligned and have the same motion though.  Hope this helps you along or at least gives you an idea of what you need.

Edit:  I forgot, you'll also need to key frame the shadowy figure layer to increase in size as the camera moves toward the window.

• edited February 1

@tddavis I kinda get what you mean. But I have no idea how to do it or where to start. Also, can I just add the ghostly figure into the video using visual effects? Without having to actually film the physical figure. Maybe you can give me your email so I can send you the .mp4 file for the video so you can take a look?

• Sure, I sent you a private post with my info.

Sign in to comment