Virtualdub Mod + Audio not recognized by Hitfilm Pro

I have a problem with AVI created by VirtualdubMod as Proxy fot Hitfilm. I tried different versions of VirtualdubMod.

When only encoding video I get video except with Cineform the Szene is side by side so with loss of detail. If encoding with audio Hitfilm reports "File read error". The files play fine using Windows Media player. What is going wrong? Can anybody confirm that?

Comments

• Edit: When installing Cineform Decoders Hitfilm crashes. Without it I get File Error (I thought it can read Cineform directly)

• Not much info here but I am guessing that your VirtualDub transcode has 32-bit float audio. I have seen virtualDub default to 32-bit float with certain input formats. Select 16-bit audio for the audio format.

Be sure to select the native Cineform from Virtual dub in case you have GoPro stuff installed.

Hitfilm 2017 will not use installed Cineform decoders. Cineform is fully native for Cineform in AVI. Both express and pro. Express 2017 still uses Quicktime for Cineform in MOV. You really do not want to use Quicktime if you are interested in best performance.

• @NormanPCN You're right, it was set to float audio. So that riddle is solved. But the video is weird, it's side by side not using full resolution. There is not much to set up. I used Cineform native as described in the transcode thread. There are not many options to choose, all I tried result in the same. 

Link to video (69 MB)

• Edit: Now I am confused - on a different computer this video imports "normal". Could it be that Hitfilm it depends on 3D settings of the GoProDecoder?

On this computer inside CoProCodec the 3D display is set to left eye. When I set it to free view the video looks side by side as on my computer at home. When I uninstall the GoProCodec with that setting Hitfilm Pro still shows the video side by side. So the build-in codec obviously uses the settings from GoPro.

When I install it again, set 3D to left eye and uninstall it everything is fine.

BUT> Without that codec installed that setting cannot be changed. So maybe Hitfilm should have some settings to influence that.

In short> If there WAS GoProCodec installed on a system and settings are messed up Hitfilm uses this messed up settings even if the GoProCodec was uninstalled. I°m tagging @CedricBonnier since I think this is a bug or some uninitialized part  using the Cineform SDK.

• It would help to know more of the actual specs of the video in question.  If you don't already have MediaInfo installed, install it now, then drop in the AVI.  Switch the view to Text mode, then copy the details you see and paste them here.  Those who can decipher such details will be able to help more effectively.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

It also could depend on hardware differences. Perhaps you accidentally encoded side by side stereo but machine B doesn't have stereoscopic capabilities so is only pulling one side. 

But do the MediaInfo report first. 

• edited January 22

Thanks @jsbarrett but I think it is not needed. As I described above it looks like the problem is when decoding that vide o and that depends on wether GoPro was installed before and what it's last settings regarding display type was. 

I thought the video was encoded wrong, but it is not. The decoding is the problem. If you follow the description above you will also get messy videos with GoPro when decoding.

• Mediainfo:

Allgemein
    Complete name                            : D:\Daten\OneDrive\Video\Hitfilm\Bugs\00017 CineformNativeV210PCMAudio.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    File size                                : 69,1 MiB
    Duration                                 : 2s 660 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 218 Mb/s
    Writing library                          : VirtualDub build 40898/release

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : CineForm
    Codec ID                                 : CFHD
    Codec ID/Info                            : CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet)
    Bit rate                                 : 216 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 Pixel
    Height                                   : 1 080 Pixel
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 50,000 FPS
    Scan type                                : progressiv
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.086
    Stream size                              : 68,6 MiB (99%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings                          : Little / Signed
    Codec ID                                 : 1
    Bit rate mode                            : konstant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 Kanäle
    Sampling rate                            : 48,0 kHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 499 KiB (1%)
    Alignment                                : Ausgerichtet an Interleaves
    Interleave, duration                     : 24  ms (1,22 Video-Frame)
    Interleave, preload duration             : 500  ms

• Since the Cineform SDK that FxHome uses is stand alone but still written by the Cineform/GoPro folks I can envision that it may still respond to global config settings that some external GoPro software might setup. Active Metadata and 3D stuff and maybe others. FxHome provides no feature setting overrides for any of these global features. A quick test shows the FxHome Cineform decoder does respond to external GoPro settings. If they did disable such reactions then some Cineform features are lost. Some might care about such things.

The uploaded file looks fine on my machine,as far as I can tell, and I do have GoPro studio installed. The Quik tray app was set to a 3D view of left eye.

Since the native decoder does respond to global Cineform/GoPro settings then just do not setup inappropriate global settings in the tray app or other GoPro software.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment