What is the MAX FPS for Editor and Comp

Hi all,

I ask this, because I have been doing some slow mo tests with my new camera (liking it so far). Anyway, I noticed something odd. If I record at 240FPS and import the media to the EDITOR it will ask if I want to change the settings, hitting yes does change it and ensure all my frames are shown. HOWEVER, here is where I see something odd. The properties tab on the Editor is showing 239 FPS in orange (eg. It does not like the setting). If I manually try and enter anything higher than 100FPS it automatically changes to 100FPS. This is the same for a Composite shot and worse the COMP does not ask to auto change so I loose loads of frames.

Have I hit a limitation or is this a Bug?

Thanks

Comments

• Hitfilm has a limit of 100fps for any timeline. NLE or composite. Really, 50/60 is about the highest useful frame rate for edit/final output.

Really, the only use for high frame rate stuff is for slow motion. Where the high rate is played back at a lower rate for slomo.  Action cam types will record at very high frame rates always, just because they might maybe use slow motion somewhere. If you put very high frame rate footage onto a lower frame rate timeline in Hitfilm it should properly resample the frame rate to the timeline rate for normal speed playback. Then you can have a duplicate import for the slow motion stuff where you change the playback rate for slow motion.

Ideally you record at a normal frame rate for your normal speed footage because the video quality will be higher. But with action cam type stuff you don't know beforehand when you need high frame rate. Therefore you may always record at very high rates.

For normal speed stuff you are probably better off with a transcode to a normal frame rate from the high speed stuff for normal edit. This way Hitfilm does not have to constantly resample every time you hit play. It's a performance thing so your mileage may vary.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Note that "240" fps footage isn't. It's actually 239.76. 239.76 is an even multiple of the 29.97 NTSC frame rate, and is done this way so high-fps footage will properly conform when downsampled to an NTSC timeline.

Otherwise, yeah, 100 fps is the max for a timeline.  As Norman correctly notes, 60 fps (more properly 59.94) is the highest practical output frame rate. Even that is pretty much only useful for YouTube output. Higher source frame rates are intended for slo-mo output. 

• Ok thanks I think I figured it out, I don't want to export at that high rate, just making sure I am getting all through frames in. What I noted was while I could get the correct frames in the editor, the COMP will only let me do 100fps and therefore does drop some frames. Mind you not tried converting something in editor to comp to see what it does yet.

• edited January 12

Let's say you got a source with 1000 fps and you want all frames in the comp then you could set the source framerate manually to let's say 50. So the comp has all frames but the video is slowed down by factor 20. When inserting that comp in the editor timeline or another comp the speed value there can then be changed to 2000 % to "refactor". 

No matter how - if you do not export at that framerate someone will drop frames...

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment