Timelines Exceed Dimension Restrictions

I was previously using Express 2017 on a Windows 10 computer, and made a project that contained images at exactly 1920x1080 resolution. 

However, I've had to switch computers temporarily (if you've seen my last post on these forums, you'll know I was having graphics drivers issues and had to exchange the laptop) and am now using an older device that runs Windows 8. I've installed Express 2017 on this machine again--same version and everything--but suddenly now whenever I try to open my old project I receive an error that it cannot be opened "because it contains timelines which exceed dimension restrictions". 

I've done a bit of searching around to see people with the same issue, and kept seeing people say that Express 2017 doesn't support 1920x1080 images or larger. But how can this be when I was able to save and re-open the project on my last computer? Does the change in OS have something to do with it? Could it be because this temporary computer has a much lower resolution? The max on this device is only 1366x768.

Is there anything I can do to be able to open the project again on my temporary machine?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Possibly not. One thing about Hitfilm is it will automatically restrict media, project and composite shot resolutions depending on the hardware it's being run on.

So, as another example, Hitfilm Pro supports resolutions up to 8k, but my machine will max out at 6k.

It could have something to do with resolution of the screen of the laptop you're on, it could be the GPU, but you're hitting the limits of the hardware. 

Where are you seeing posts that HFX can't load 1920x1080 media? This is utterly incorrect and some people need a gentle correction. 

• I was seeing it here, but to be fair these posts are from 2016:

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/40585/error-when-opening-project-timelines-which-exceed-dimension-restrictions-resolved

But thank you, I guess I'll just try and open the project again once I get my newer laptop back. Until then, HitFilm seems to be letting me just remake the project from scratch so I'll work with that.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment