Hardware buying tips for running HitFilm

Comments

• I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB graphics card
    and I keep getting errors on the export or crashes...
    Is this not a powerful enough graphics card?
    Processor  2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory  12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
    Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
    Software  OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
    Been trying to contact tech support with no response....
    Error message on export:
    Could not initialise the export renderer.
    An OpenGL rendering context is not set for this thread...
    WTF does that mean? @-)
  • edited August 2014
    I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB graphics card
    and I keep getting errors on the export or crashes...
    Is this not a powerful enough graphics card?
    Processor  2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory  12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
    Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
    Software  OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
    Been trying to contact tech support with no response....
    Error message on export:
    Could not initialise the export renderer.
    An OpenGL rendering context is not set for this thread...
    WTF does that mean? @-)

That is an older card, but I think it should work. You should go to the ATI site and download/install the latest drivers. I think thats whats causing your issue.

• That is an older card, but I think it should work. You should go to the ATI site and download/install the latest drivers. I think thats whats causing your issue.

Yea, the first thing I did was to go to the ATI site... Couldn't even find drivers for my system. Apparently Apple only put these in a couple of MacPro models... all I could find was P.C. drivers.... 
    Worked it out though.... I had an SDD drive so I installed Mavericks and put HitFilm on that drive... I don't know why, but it works now... I think I just have too much crap on the Mountain Lion OS... This now makes three OS I have on my computer.... I also keep a drive with Snow Leopard for all my legacy software....
    Cheers... And thanks 

• RPS just put up a nice article about the pros and cons of self-building versus off-the-shelf. Worth a read if you're not sure which approach to take:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/09/custom-built-pc-or-diy-pc/

• edited November 2014

hi I'm currently lower than a noob I have hitfilm 2 express but after a load of fails with 32bit then upgraded to 64 to find out my graphics card sucked. I have ordered a new laptop i7 12gb ram 840m graphics now I know its on the low end but would hit film pro be usable? Or frustrating with this set up and by the way the requirements page has disappeared just in case you were unaware thanks

• Found the requirements page. . Has anyone tried pro with 840m processor? Is it usable? I really want to add a 3d models to a scene

• The 840m is a low-to-middling card. We haven't tested specifically with it. While HitFilm is likely to run, you're not going to get great performance from that particular card.

• Thanks Simon I only went with the laptop cause it was the best work had to offer its also has the HD4600 which is also the lower end i will give it ago and post results will be investing in a desktop in the new year Thanks for replying

• Random update: I upgraded my home system to a new NVIDIA 970 this weekend, which combined with my 4690K i5 CPU is providing amazing performance in HitFilm (not to mention games!).

As an example, a 2+ hour render of a particular project on my old 560ti now takes just under 4 minutes.

My i5 and 970 combo isn't the cheapest but it does represent a really good price-to-power ratio at the moment. Keep an eye on the January hardware sales!

• @SimonKJones I have a 560ti in my current rig. That render time drop sounds... Ahem. I think it might be time to think about an upgrade.

The rest of my rig is quite awesome though, I recently upgraded to an i7 Haswell, along with 16GB of RAM and an SSD. Most everything is amazingly fast now - just the GPU now really is the bottleneck when it comes to HitFilm and Games.

• @Robin... look at Tom's Hardware you can get a price/power break down.  970 is up there with my 780 or a TItan.  A 780 Ti is rated as higher.  Save money where you can;)  Could always go for a GTX 690 if you want high performance.

• edited December 2014

MichaelJames- Which GTX 690? NVIDIA or Asus?  4GB? There are some rather good deals on eBay.         

• An good, overclocked 970 can actually get up to the stock speeds of the 980, which is a bit mad. I haven't bothered overclocking mine yet as there's no need, but might look into it next year.

@StormyKnight - the 690 is an NVIDIA card, but custom versions will exist from all the usual manufacturers (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc).

• @MichaelJames thanks for the link!

• @Stormy the difference is up to you.  Me, i always buy EVGA.  Asus and EVGA are what seem to be the only options:).

• Thanks, Simon & MJ!

• Asus and EVGA do seem to be the most highly regarded. I've had a few MSI cards now, though, and they also seem very high quality.

• I have an old model gigabyte mobo which has PCI-E 3 support but only if my cpu handles it, which being an intel i7 2600 it does not.  This means my PCI-E 3 runs at PCI-E 2 speeds.  Researching hardware I discovered this little secret that the guy that built this c omputer I have did not tell me or that the PSU is a VisionTek brand which is apparently about the worst power supply in existence, though it is an 800W and I have had ZERO issues with it.

To be safe I wil be getting a new PSU along with a new Video Card to upgrade my EVGA GTX 550 TI 2GB video card I bought off the shelf retail 2 years ago.

I was looking at either the 980 GTX or 970 and after learning my PCI-E is running at version 2.0 speeds and not 3.0 I am not going to be getting the 980.  At least not at the current prices, spend $700+ for a card that I can't use entirely is waste of money.

Even though the 970 is somewhere between $330 and $400 USD the overall performance increase from the 550 TI even with the slower speed would be one heck of a performance increase especially since it has features specifically for 1080p display.  Apparently 4k level on 1080p, I have two 27" 1080p monitors so it should work out.

I have inquiries into gigabyte to verify my mobo can work this thing before buying it. My 550 Ti works with no problems at all.

I am looking at the Gigabyte G1 Gaming card as it has somewhat higher specs than EVGA or other brands I have looked at but it is one large card so maybe not. As long as it is about the same width as the EVGA GTX 550 Ti 2gb card then no problem, that card takes up two slots but the gigabyte may take up 3  and I have to remove a PCI card I have installed but not sure.

Any other ideas for video cards or PSU's,    Video Card in the $300 range will go up to $400 but I don't want to unless it is feature rich as the 970.  

PSU's nothing less than 850 Watts due to the amount of hardware I got in this thing and plug into it.  Used one of those online resource calculators and my rig maxes out at around 600 Watts.   I have a PFC battery backup rated to 900 Watts max output but looking at the live output stats my rig with monitors and internet modem sucks out between 144 Watts and 170 Watts.

I have never seen it go above 250 watts even at full load so this min and max numbers for power I have no idea my machine never comes close to 400 let alone 600 watts.  To be safe though I don't go below 800 Watts PSU and next one at least 850.

I type too much...  

• edited December 2014

If you (or anyone else reading this thread) is also using Adobe premiere on your computer (in addition to Hitfilm) I suggest you visit the adobe.com  hardware forum.  There are amazing experts there who will provide you with excellent advice.  

When I built my own computer for premiere I ran every piece of hardware by them for their "approval" before purchasing.  Adobe premiere can be very picky about what hardware to use for optimal  petformance.

...Rowby

• @Rowby...  I went over to their forums and have been reading through all the threads on the Nvidia GTX 970 /980 and came across this little tid bit from a comment about Sony's Vegas line of NLE's.

-----------------------------
    "RjL190365 wrote:.... (Sony Creative Software, on the other hand, gave up on CUDA support in Vegas Pro due to the problems it encountered with CUDA acceleration with GPUs newer than Fermi; GPU acceleration support in Vegas is now restricted to OpenCL only, which Nvidia GeForce GPUs are indeed weaker than comparably priced AMD Radeon GPUs at.)"
    ---------------------

Earlier in this post I excerpted from this person went on to mention that Adobe CC products for 2015 seem to be going into supporting the new Haswell based GPU's and dumping the older technology cards.  

It seems the two technologies are different and it is an either or situation.

• Hi odrankwhat,

Thanks  for that  info!

Rowby

• I took a quick look at the Adobe Forum --- and  Adobe did a major redesign since I've been there -- the Adobe Hardware forum is hidden down in the menus.

Here's a direct link: adobe premiere hardware forum   You might have to create a free Adobe account to see or log into the forum.

Rowby

• Cool, thanks @Rowby.  

A lot of good info there!  (Fortunatelly, I didn't have to create an account.)

• edited December 2014

An exceĺlent hardware resource for those running  Premiere cs5 cs6 and Creative cloud I suggest this extremely valuable page "Tweakers Page"  http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page

It includes a warning for those with Cs6 who are thinking about trying Creative Cloud.

Rowby

• Good info @Rowby

• Good to know about this topic, pretty tense will AMDs latest GPU generation with HBM as Storage and how it will performe to the today standards GDDR5.

I build my rig about two days, but with the GPU im pretty unsure what to do. Planned was a gtx970 Amp! EE maybe I will buy a bridging GPU until Bermuda launches.

Btw my Rig: Fractal Design Define R5 / Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H / Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3 / EKL Alpenföhn Himalaya 2 / Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB / Crucial MX100 512GB / Zotac GTX 970 Amp! EE / bequiet! E10 CM 500W / bequiet! Silent Wings 2

Regards Patrick

• Broadly speaking, are the specs for a good gaming machine similar to what you'd look for in a good editing/vfx machine?

I ask mainly because the editing/vfx category is one that seems to be covered rarely  when it comes to laptop/PC reviews, but reviews of gaming machines are much more prevalent.

• @AndrewCameron For HitFilm, generally this is the case, yes. There are just some exceptions, for example an sli dual-gpu rig will not benefit HitFilm, while it can be really effective for games.

This can vary though for other vfx software. The business class of gpus (for example nvidias quadro cards) won't do HitFilm any good, but software that can utilize those will be blasting away with them, so this question is in part dependant on the software you intend to use for editing/vfx.

• I'm contemplating two video cards - I use Hitfilm and Vegas Pro...which video card to get...?

GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

or this:

Radeon R9 290X LIGHTNING

• I'm not familiar with Radeons but the 980 is a great card. However, I'd also consider the 970 as an overclocked 970 can perform close to a 980 while being considerably cheaper. Unless money is no object, of course, in which case go for the 980. :P

Sign in to comment