Hardware buying tips for running HitFilm

Comments

• You weren't entirely wrong; H.264 codec is a variant of the MPEG-4 standard.So H.264 footage is just one type of MPEG-4, which is what .mp4 stands for.
    I've never used VLC, but I would assume that it comes as a standard installer file, which you run in the ordinary fashion.  i know that DNxHD does.  Can you explain further what problem you are having installing them?  It should just be a matter of running the installer files.
  • The first problem is that I cant find a MPEG STREAMCLIP download. second I don't know what TRIEM23 meant by install DNxHD then convert my video file to DNxHD
  • http://www.squared5.com/
    If you search google for "mpeg streamclip" the page with the installer is the very first result; the link is above.  You can download the appropriate installer for your system from there, then run it to install the software.
    http://www.avid.com/dnxhd
    If you search google for "avid dnxhd" the very first result is avid's page for the codec, the link for which is above.  Following the link for the Quicktime codec on that page will take you to the page where you can download either the Mac or PC installers: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319
    Download the appropriate installer and run that as well.
    Once they are installed, launch MPEG Streamclip, and import your footage, then select DNxHD as the format you want to export to, and begin the conversion.
  • I am planning to buy a new laptop soon. I am looking at models with the GTX 860m and GTX 850m and wondering how well they will work with HitFilm. All the benchmarks I see seem to focus more on games and such. At some point I remember reading somewhere that memory bandwidth was the thing to look at for video edition. If that is the case, I am going to jump from 28.8 GB/s to 80.2 GB/s and my old card already was ok (not great at all), but I thought I'd rather ask, just in case.
  • AdyAdy Staff
    I am planning to buy a new laptop soon. I am looking at models with the GTX 860m and GTX 850m and wondering how well they will work with HitFilm. All the benchmarks I see seem to focus more on games and such. At some point I remember reading somewhere that memory bandwidth was the thing to look at for video edition. If that is the case, I am going to jump from 28.8 GB/s to 80.2 GB/s and my old card already was ok (not great at all), but I thought I'd rather ask, just in case.

Hi,
    The Nvidia GTX 860M & GTX 850M are both high end cards & perfectly capable of running HitFilm. The differences between the two cards is minimal though so if the price hike is much higher for the GTX 860M I'd go for the GTX 850M. 
    Cheers,
    Ady

• What about the HP ENVY M6 TouchSmart Sleekbook Touch Screen Laptop - 15.6" Display
    with 
    • AMD A10-5745M accelerated processor
    • 8 GB Memory, 1 TB Hard Drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 8610G graphics
  • AdyAdy Staff

What about the HP ENVY M6 TouchSmart Sleekbook Touch Screen Laptop - 15.6" Display
    with 

AMD A10-5745M accelerated processor
    8 GB Memory, 1 TB Hard Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 8610G graphics

Hi,
    The AMD Radeon HD 8610G is not a supported GPU I'm afraid, it just wasn't designed to be used with intense 3D applications. Part of the reason why it has no dedicated memory, although it can share the main memory with the CPU.
    Cheers,
    Ady

• I'm looking into getting a laptop to do some work when I don't have access to my desktop computer. But don't really know much about the specs of laptops.
    Would a laptop with the following be ok?
    Processor: AMD A8-4555M APU (1.6ghz, 4mb cache)
    Ram: 8GB DDR3L
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7600G
    The full spec can be found here
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-n266sa-15-6-laptop-black-21862438-pdt.html?themeid=383&token=pc-world-laptop-deals#wrapper
    Or if any knows where to get a laptop for about £400-£500 region that can handle Hitfilm, that would be useful as well.
    Thanks
    Koradin
  • edited May 2014

Would these specifications run hitfilm 2 express
    Graphics

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Processor

Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i5

Processor Speed

2.6GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

• AdyAdy Staff
    I'm looking into getting a laptop to do some work when I don't have access to my desktop computer. But don't really know much about the specs of laptops.
    Would a laptop with the following be ok?
    Processor: AMD A8-4555M APU (1.6ghz, 4mb cache)
    Ram: 8GB DDR3L
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7600G
    The full spec can be found here
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-n266sa-15-6-laptop-black-21862438-pdt.html?themeid=383&token=pc-world-laptop-deals#wrapper
    Or if any knows where to get a laptop for about £400-£500 region that can handle Hitfilm, that would be useful as well.
    Thanks
    Koradin

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply, but the system you have listed is not supported due to an incompatible Graphics Card.
    The only laptops within your budget will be ones that have the Intel HD 3000 / 4000 present, much like the one listed below. Places like Dell have laptops with the Intel HD present, maybe have a look there.
    Any problems, get back in touch.

Would these specifications run hitfilm 2 express
    Graphics

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Processor

Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i5

Processor Speed

2.6GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

Hi,
    Yes that system is fine, the Intel HD 4000 is supported but is one of the lowest cards / chips we support so don't expect the performance of a dedicated card which would always be more powerful.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • What about a
    AMD Turion II Ultra M600 GPU
  • Thanks for the reply Ady, I was wondering about the following two cards, NVIDIA GT 840M 2GB or NVIDIA GTX 850M 2GB.
    Neither are listed on the requirements page, but am hoping they are just newer models than what is listed on that page.
  • AdyAdy Staff
    edited May 2014
    What about a
    AMD Turion II Ultra M600 GPU

Hi,
    That appears to be a CPU, not a GPU, if it has an integrated GPU on the CPU it won't be compatible I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply Ady, I was wondering about the following two cards, NVIDIA GT 840M 2GB or NVIDIA GTX 850M 2GB.
    Neither are listed on the requirements page, but am hoping they are just newer models than what is listed on that page.

No worries, yes the GeForce 840M & GTX 850M are very new to the market, the Nvidia GeForce 840M is a low mid-level card which although it should work with HitFilm performance would likely not be great. The GTX 850M is a much better card & if your budget can stretch I would put your money down for that one.
    Do keep in mind that if you do purchase a laptop your options for upgrading the machine in the future are 0, if you absolutely must have a portable machine then that's fine but you'll get much more bang for your buck buying a desktop machine.
    Thanks,
    Ady 
  • Thanks again Ady.
    I realise that laptops aren't very upgradable, my desktop computer is over 18 months old and beats the spec of all laptops I've been looking at, but the way things are going I'll only be able to use a laptop for about 6 months. So I think I'll be going for the 850m soon.
  • AdyAdy Staff
    Thanks again Ady.
    I realise that laptops aren't very upgradable, my desktop computer is over 18 months old and beats the spec of all laptops I've been looking at, but the way things are going I'll only be able to use a laptop for about 6 months. So I think I'll be going for the 850m soon.

No worries!
    If you need any further help, just come back, I'm always around.
    Cheers,
    Ady

• edited May 2014
    is the intel core i7 better then the intel core i5,and i3

Wat about intel HD 4400, for a GPU.
    What about a NVIDIA NVS 3100 GPU.
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm on a computer search right now.

What about this GPU
    NVIDIA quadro FX 880M
    and this GPU
    AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.
    this is the last question. sorry for so many.

I'm sorry one more GPU.
    AMD Radeon HD 6310.
    please take all the time you need to get back to me.
  • Yes, i7 chips are better than i5, which are better than i3.
    For graphics cards, any Radeon card you are looking will have four numbers (such as 6310).  The first number is the series, and needs to be a 5 or higher.  The last three numbers rate the power of the card within that series, and need to be 600 or higher.  Since 310 is lower than 6, that card isn't suitable for running HitFilm.
    For nVidia cards, a 3 number system is used, with the first number being the series, and the last two numbers representing the power rating within that series.  But, they also like to throw some random letters in there too.  So, look for cards with a GTX or GTS in front of the number, and you want a card from the 2 series or higher.  
    All this info is taken from an article on the HitFilm blog about GPU naming, and you can read the whole thing here: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-192-a-quick-guide-to-gpu-model-names/
    I also notice that you are mixing Mobile GPUs and desktop GPU's, which aren't going to be compatible with the same systems.  If you are looking to upgrade the GPU in your current machine, you will need to make sure its compatible with the rest of your hardware.
    As far as Intel integrated graphics solutions, you will need a 3000 or higher, but integrated graphics won't match the performance of a dedicated graphics card.  
  • edited May 2014
    Thank you for the information you guys have a great and helpful staff.
    but would the NVIDIA quadro FX 880M GPU be suitable? I didn't notice if you said it is.
    is the AMD Radeon HD 7600 GPU a good GPU.

and will the HD Intel 4600 work better then the HD Intel 4000?
  • AdyAdy Staff
    Thank you for the information you guys have a great and helpful staff.
    but would the NVIDIA quadro FX 880M GPU be suitable? I didn't notice if you said it is.
    is the AMD Radeon HD 7600 GPU a good GPU.

and will the HD Intel 4600 work better then the HD Intel 4000?

Hi,
    HitFilm was not designed to work with Workstation cards hence why they are omitted from the minimum & recommended requirements. It's not to say that the software will not run with the Quadro & FirePro range of GPU's, but it will perform much better with a Pro consumer card. So as much as the Quadro FX 880M will work, you'd be best off getting something aimed at the gamers market (GTX 770M or GTX 880M for example).
    I'm assuming you are referring to the AMD Radeon HD 7600G which is essentially the AMD equivalent of the Intel HD in that it is a Processor Graphics card. Sadly this card is not supported & is below the minimum specification for HitFilm.
    The Intel HD 4600 is more powerful on paper at least than the HD 4000, but whether you'd see a dramatic increase in performance between one or the other I'm not sure. But if you had the choice of an Intel HD 4000 or HD 4600, then naturally you should select the more powerful card.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• So which computer would be better.?The one with the HD Intel 4600 GPU, or the  NVIDIA Cuadro  FX880M GPU?
  • The nVidia Quadro is better than the Intel integrated chipset, but you could get much better performance from a card that is much more affordable, like the GTX 770M, as Ady mentioned.
  • Actually I could get a labtop with the NVIDIA Cuadro fx 880m for about 500$ from my grandpa.
  • edited May 2014
    Actually, i may have been wrong.  Let me look into that card a bit more before I confirm that it would be better than the Intel.  I was thinking that the Quadro FX 880M would be similar to the GTX 880M, but they look to be very, very different, with the FX 880M being based on the 330M chipset, which is rather low end.  I'll get back to you on this soon.
    Curse you, graphics card manufacturers and your inexplicable naming systems!
  • Hahaha I would have to agree with you on the useless names given to some of these GPUs. I really appreciate you doing this for me I'm not very educated when it comes to computer chips. But I am very good at film editing.
  • edited June 2014
    Just curious what does HitFilm do for these situations?
    • 32GB of RAM
    • Multiple CPU Cores
    • AMD chip with their magical use ram like ram and graphics card thingy mabobber
    • Two graphics cards
  • AdyAdy Staff
    edited June 2014

Just curious what does HitFilm do for these situations?

32GB of RAM
    Multiple CPU Cores
    AMD chip with their magical use ram like ram and graphics card thingy mabobber
    Two graphics cards

Hi,
    Depends on what you mean by situations, but I'm guessing you mean what will HitFilm use if these items are present?
    32GB of RAM

HitFilm is a 64Bit process so it can use as much RAM that is available & that the OS hasn't allocated to other processes / tasks. Not everything within HitFilm will use lots of RAM but certain tasks like 3D Models, Lights, Shadows & embedded Composite Shots will.
    Multiple CPU Cores
    HitFilm will use as many cores as your system has available, but not necessarily all of them, or at 100%. The operating system allocates cores to the currently active threads (from all running processes) according to its own scheduler.
    There are some operations in HitFilm which will be very CPU intensive, but these operations will often be interleaved with things like disk I/O or rendering. E.g. HitFilm will use multiple cores when decoding a video, but the CPU will have to wait for the actual data to be read from disk. Another example is that HitFilm uses multiple cores for the physics simulation of particles, but when these particles are then rendered, that work goes off to the GPU.

AMD chip with their magical use ram like ram and graphics card thingy mabobber
    I'm not sure I know what you are referring to here, I'm going to assume you mean AMD's APU range? Which is an AMD CPU that also has a GPU, much like the Intel HD series. If that's not what you mean then please explain?
    Two graphics cards
    SLi & Crossfire configurations are not supported by HitFilm at this present moment in time, this kind of configuration is almost exclusively supported by gaming only. This is something that has been talked about being supported but as yet no decision has been made.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • What do you guys think about these specs? For hitfilm, blender and gaming (in that order).
    Intel i7-4770 clocked to 3.4ghz quad core
    16gb drr3 ram
    nvidea gtx 660ti 3gb
    and a 2tb hdd at 7200rpm.
    Thanks, Joe
  • Is a desktop with.
    CPU intel core 2 duo 3.00GHz
    GPU intel GMA 4500.
    good for hitfilm.
  • Would a MacBook Air with these specs run hitfilm 2 ultimate.

1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor

Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz

Intel HD Graphics 5000

4GB memory

128GB PCIe-based flash storage1

Or a iMac with these specs run hitfilm 2 ultimate.
    1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz

8GB memory

500GB hard drive1

Intel HD Graphics 5000

• hello. don't worry about the last few post I did, I did some of my own research. anyway, I would like to know if a desktop with these specs would run hitfilm 2 ultimate?
    intel core i3-4150 processor
    8GB DDR3-1866 ADATA XPG V2 memory chip
    NVidia GeForce GTX 750 2GB

Sign in to comment