Hardware buying tips for running HitFilm

Comments

• Hello everyone
    I'm currently in the process of building my first ever PC. The aim is to get it to run this, as well as playing games. I just wanted to post this on here to see if there is anything obvious that I have missed, and if there is anything you would change/recommend. The total price is pretty much the budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£253.19 @ Aria PC) 
    CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£23.62 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Motherboard:  ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  (£100.91 @ Ebuyer) 
    Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£51.98 @ Amazon UK) 
    Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (£105.74 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card  (£272.74 @ Amazon UK) 
    Case:  Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  (£73.00 @ Ebuyer) 
    Power Supply:  Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  (£59.45 @ Dabs) 
    Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  (£13.15 @ Amazon UK) 
    Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£64.98 @ Ebuyer) 
    Total: £1068.74

Thanks for the help!

Looks like a pretty balanced system you'll be building!  Can't see anything obvious that you're missing.  If there was anything I'd add/change it would be to add a bit more RAM.

• AdyAdy Staff

Hello everyone
    I'm currently in the process of building my first ever PC. The aim is to get it to run this, as well as playing games. I just wanted to post this on here to see if there is anything obvious that I have missed, and if there is anything you would change/recommend. The total price is pretty much the budget.

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£23.62 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (£105.74 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Power Supply:  Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  (£59.45 @ Dabs) 

Thanks for the help!

Hi,
    Yeah, that's a nice system. You can increase the RAM as suggested as you can never truthfully have too much RAM, but for playing games & HitFilm you should be fine with 8GB.
    I would maybe suggest getting a slightly more powerful PSU, the GTX 670 requires a 500W PSU as the minimum & obviously the 600W will be fine, but if you ever wish to upgrade in the near future you may end up having to buy another PSU anyway. But that's just me! :D
    Cheers,
    Ady

• edited July 2013

Hi,
    Yeah, that's a nice system. You can increase the RAM as suggested as you can never truthfully have too much RAM, but for playing games & HitFilm you should be fine with 8GB.
    I would maybe suggest getting a slightly more powerful PSU, the GTX 670 requires a 500W PSU as the minimum & obviously the 600W will be fine, but if you ever wish to upgrade in the near future you may end up having to buy another PSU anyway. But that's just me! :D
    Cheers,
    Ady

Looks like a pretty balanced system you'll be building!  Can't see anything obvious that you're missing.  If there was anything I'd add/change it would be to add a bit more RAM.

Thanks for the help guys, makes me feel more confident! I'll think about adding the RAM and PSU. I definitely want to keep upgrading it, so perhaps it would be better to just make it slightly more future-proof now. 
  • Hello everyone

Thanks for the help!

Yes bigger PSU. I just broke mine, as it was underpowered. Also, PSU:s tend to lose their effectiveness in time, so it's recommended to buy a PSU abit higher wattage than you actually need. And it can break your whole system if your PSU breaks...

• Yes bigger PSU. I just broke mine, as it was underpowered. Also, PSU:s tend to lose their effectiveness in time, so it's recommended to buy a PSU abit higher wattage than you actually need. And it can break your whole system if your PSU breaks...

I've upgraded the PSU and doubled the RAM, as well as making a couple of other changes. Thanks for the recommendations everyone  :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    I just went off on this on the "Laptops for Hitfilm" thread, so this will be the shorter version.
    My basic recommendation is to do your research (and, if you're in this thread, you just did), then look online for a company that specializes in gaming rigs.
    Last time I went laptop shopping I spent probably a good 50 or 60 hours doing research, sitting on Firefox with browser tabs open for Sony, Toshiba, Dell, etc, etc juggling configurations and prices until I started looking at the game rig builders.
    What I found is that the little guys who specialize in gaming rigs usually offer more computer for less money than the major makers, as well as wider configuration options, and lacking the bloatware that Sony, Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc will put in their machines.
    Additionally, the online game rig builders have options that you just CAN'T get from the majors--for example a laptop panel that displays 95% of the NTSC color gamut, instead of the 50% gamut more laptop screen display. For video work and photo work this high-gamut screen is almost a must.
    North Americans can look at sites like www.xoticpc.com (where I shop)  www.originpc.com, etc, etc.
     And I'm certain you Brits and Europeans have similar retailers.
    My current laptop machine is a Sager running the second-fastest processor available at time of purchase, has close to 2TB of drive space in it, 16GB RAM  and cost hundreds to THOUSANDS less than a near-identically configured machine from a major vendor. And the majors didn't have the high-gamut screen option.
  • edited November 2013
    Hello!
    I need to edit 1080@25p videos and create some unique effect (2D-3D). Is going to be a youtube channel with video reviews (and few sport action). Some basic 2D-3D rendering.
    No overclocking, no SLI and maybe some casual game for my nephew.
    Do I have to improve my GPU or will it work fine? Other suggestions?

### The CPU must be Intel, the MOBO must be Gigabyte and the GPU must be Nvidia. ###
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770

CPU Cooler:  Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (or CM Hyper 212)

MOBO:  Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3

Storage1 (OS/APP/Single video editing):  Samsung 840 pro 256gb

Storage2 (Files):  WD hdd Caviar Blue - 1TB

GPU  GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 2gb <<<

Case:  Fractal Design Define R4 (or Corsair Carbide 330R)

PSU:  Seasonic G-550 550W 80+ Gold (or Antec Platinum EA-550)

Right now I have a MacBookPro5,1 (C2D 2.66 - Nvidia 9600M GT - 8gb ram - WD Black 320gb), Hitfilm2 trial works but is quite laggy/slow.
    Thanks

• I have a custom built computer that was built in 2012.
    CPU:  Intel Quad Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
    Ram: 16 GB Ram
    Motherboard: Gigabyte. H61M-S2PV
    Video:  2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
    Hard Drive: 
    Op Sys: WD Blue 1TB
    Work Drive:  WD Black 1TB
    Storage / Library:  WD 1TB  - not sure model
    WD has the NEW Black drives with the newest tech available now.  They first released the Blue which on many of the tests out performed the older Black drives which I have one as my work drive.  I use the blue as my Operating System drive.
    The motherboard I have is not a USB 3 mobo, I had to get a expansion card but it wont run the full USB 3 speed because of the MOBO being older tech. Which is why I can't use an SSD because it won't run at full speed.  Plus the SSD's burn out too quick for my tastes.
    With that all said I have NO problems running Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, rendering or anything else I want to do.  It maybe somewhat slower than the newest tech but it gets the job done and still lets me multi-task at the same time.
    NVIDIA Graphics Cards, you can't find anything lower than the 600 series in the main market place.  Nvidia 670 and above will run $250+ for price unless you find a deal somewhere.  The top of the line card for Nvidia midgrade cards are the 770+ and 800 series.   I have the 550 which is one level below being on any of the compatible lists for Video software like Premiere, After Effects etc..  but I still use it and it works fine.
    You do NOT need the top of the top of line or spend $3500+ on computer hardware to do the things you want to do.
  • edited December 2013
    @I drank what?
    Thank you but too late, this morning I bought my new PC. I have been using my MBP late 2008 as a workstation for 5-6 years without any particular problem. I work as a freelancer web designer and I usually spend some money on my gear.
    I decided to make an investment. Moreover, I am going to sell my MBP for $250-270.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770

CPU Cooler:  CM Hyper 412s

Memory: Kingston 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3

Storage1 (OS/APP/Single video editing):  SanDisk Extreme 2 - 240gb

Storage2 (Files):  WD hdd Caviar Blue - 1TB

GPU  Asus GeForce GTX 760 2gb 

Case:  Fractal Design Define R4

PSU:  Seasonic G-550 550W 80+ Gold 

Total: almost $1700 ( so almost $1450)
    Thanks again for your share.
  • @I drank what?
    Thank you but too late, this morning I bought my new PC. I have been using my MBP late 2008 as a workstation for 5-6 years without any particular problem. I work as a freelancer web designer and I usually spend some money on my gear.
    I decided to make an investment. Moreover, I am going to sell my MBP for $250-270.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770
    CPU Cooler:  CM Hyper 412s
    Memory: Kingston 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
    Storage1 (OS/APP/Single video editing):  SanDisk Extreme 2 - 240gb
    Storage2 (Files):  WD hdd Caviar Blue - 1TB
    GPU  Asus GeForce GTX 760 2gb 
    Case:  Fractal Design Define R4
    PSU:  Seasonic G-550 550W 80+ Gold 

Total: almost $1700 ( so almost $1450)
    Thanks again for your share.

You may have an under powered PSU with all the gear there.  I wouldn't get a PSU that is less than 800W.  Total up all the power usage for the devices you are going to plug into it cpu, video card, accessories etc...  and then add an additional 100W just for safety and I wouldn't go for anything less than that.   If your system draw 750W and you only have a 550W PSU you will end up frying something and usually the MOBO and video card, the CPU will throttle a lot as well.   Don't skimp on the PSU.

• Hey there, I was wondering if this graphics card would support Hitfilm 2 express... it is a NVIDIA GeForce 210, would that work? If not what will? I am kinda on a budget however...
    The Geforce 210 is under minimum recommend spec as laid out here: http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements
    Any card above a GTX 260 meets minimum recommended specs. That said, According to the devs, Hitfilm mostly uses the GPU for rendering, and the engine is largely based around the Open GL spec, so, the better your graphics card, the better Hitfilm will run.
    nVidia's site has only the 600+ series listed as in current production. The 600 series wasn't a particularly good upgrade, so you might be better off looking for something in the 500's from Newegg, or elsewhere.
  • I'm looking at a new PC build. My last one has been going strong for 5 or so years but is being to show it's age!
    Trying to decide on a video card!
    Probably down to the following, the prices are in Australian dollars are only included as a guide.
    My understanding is that the 270x preforms close the GTX760 in a lot of cases... but I'm not sure how that would relate to Hitfilm and rendering, etc.
    The TOXIC card below is overclocked an extra 50mhz on the 4gb model I believe.
    Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on this?
    Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X 4GB Dual-X $279
    Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB TOXIC $289
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 2GB $328
    Thanks!
  • edited March 2014
    Edit: Posted in its own Topic
  • I need a better computer for under four hundred. I found one but are the specifications good for hitfilm 2 express,
    Processor - Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i3

Processor speed - 1.9GHz
    RAM - 4GB
    Graphics card - Intel® HD
  • Pcpartpicker.com is really cool! They are helping me allot right now with building my dream computer... Here's the fourm page if you want to see what they have came up with.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/29170-questions-regarding-my-hardware-choices
    http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements
    Here are the minimum system requirements for Hitfilm. The system you are looking at does NOT meet minimum specs.
    Honestly, under $400 may be a pipe dream. You might need to look around the $1000 range. With all things, you get what you pay for, and a computer that barely hits minimum specs will run Hitfilm s-l-o-w-l-y.
    I generally recommend buying from a site that caters to gamers, like xoticpc.com. Better prices, better hardware options, less bloatware than the big guys.
  • Thanks for the help. So how much money am I looking at to meet the minimum requirements. Maybe around 500$
  • Thanks for the help. So how much money am I looking at to meet the minimum requirements. Maybe around 500$

I will add to what Triem is saying, if it's at all possible try and bump up your budget or save until you can afford a computer above the minimum range do that.  It will save you potential frustrations and a lot of time with better equipment. 
    The problem is, at around the $500 range you're unlikely to get any computer with a decent video card.  HitFilm is highly dependent on the performance of your GPU for rendering both while you work (between frames) and exporting. 

• How about These specs?
    Intel Core i3-2370M 2.4 GHz (3 MB Cache)

6 GB DDR3

750 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

17.3-Inch Screen, Intel HD graphics 3000

• I assume you're looking at laptops?
    Laptops will be a more expensive way of getting performance but if you have to, get one with at least a dedicated graphics card rather than the integrated intel graphics.
  • Thank you for replying. What would you suggest, a desktop?
    The choice of laptop vs desktop depends on several things.
    You can get more power for the same money from a desktop--laptops are more expensive because of the additional engineering involved from taking a bunch of modular card designed to fit inside a big box with extra space and cramming it into a few combined boards, and putting it into a very very small space. Additionally, as a desktop ages, you can swap out individual components to extend the useful life of the system--you'll be able to update the graphics card and processor, etc. With a laptop, there's not too much you can do to expand it, other than maximize the RAM and swap out hard drives/SSDs.
    Another consideration is your lifestyle--I have used laptops exclusively for the last ten years. I know I get more power from a desktop, but I'm rarely home to use it. I'm a freelance videographer, and I often have to prepare material in the field--like, 400 miles from home. Last night, at my karaoke job, we were dead (I had two singers.), but, since I brought my laptop with me, I was able to get some editing done on a shot. So, if you're the type of person who's schedule has you out and about most of the time, the laptop has the portability advantage. If you're home most evenings, then the desktop has the power advantage.
    The specs of the last laptop you mentioned are withing the recommended specs for Hitfilm, but it's down at the low end. The integrated Intel HD 3000 is the absolute lowest, bottom of the barrel card Hitfilm supports, and, with an intensive program like Hitfilm that means very very slow operation.
    But, laptop or desktop, I just don't think $400 will buy enough computer to run Hitfilm smoothly. I've done a little poking around online, and it's looking like the machines that will give you a smooth experience are starting around $900
  • I really appreciate what you guys have said. But what I want is a computer that will just run hitfilm not really well but ok. Better then the one I have at least. I'm 17 and just got into movie making, I bought hitfilm thinking my computer could handle it but when I upload a video or do special effects it's super choppy.  So you guys are really helpful.  I'm not great with computer stuff and don't know much about computer specs. So I have one more question would a integrated intel hd 4000 run without choppy playback? Thank you TRIEM23 for the advise.
    Probably not. The Intel HD4000 is an integrated chip, sharing resources with other components. My machine (which is two years old) still is prone to choppy playback when I start adding complicated effects, particle systems, lighting, etc... And, two years old or not, my machine's nVidia 580GTXm is still a heckuva lot better than the Intel HD4000.
    So, you're 17, and, obviously, money is tight, since you're hoping for an under-$400 machine. I don't know if you have a job, or a birthday coming up where you could ask parents, relatives and friends for money for a "film making fund." for computers and cameras? I feel your pain, because we never have enough money to buy all the toys we want.
    Anyway, with the HD4000 you're going to get choppy playback once you start adding in lots of effects (especially if you're getting into particles), but also remember that you can change your quality settings in hitfilm--you can turn off lights, shadows, motion blur and DOF in your preview window and reduce your preview window to "Half" or "Quarter" resolution. Even with a high-end system, Hitfilm can start to lag with heavy effects work, so turning off things like lights and working in half-resolution is very common when editing.
    If you're having choppy playback with straight video files, I want to ask what your camera is and what the file format is your camera is giving you. The chances are it's mp4 or AVCHD. Both of these are what we call "delivery" codecs--they are highly compressed formats intended for playback, not for editing. Hitfilm really slows down when dealing with mp4 and AVCHD (as to all NLE's)
    If you download a free program like MPEG STREAMCLIP or VLC and download the free Avid DNxHD codec, and use VLC or Mpeg Streamclip to convert your files to DNxHD beofre opening them in Hitfilm, you'll get smoother playback and editing. This WILL increase the file size, but there's a tradeoff between file size and performance.
    for more information about editing vs delivery codecs, read this: http://blogs.telestream.net/screenflow/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-formats-when-editing/
  • Thanks TRIEM23 you have really been helpful. The camera I use is from my iPod touch 5th generation. It shoots 1080HD video and is a MP4 codec.
  • Race out there and grab MPEG Streamclip and Avid DNxHD and install them, convert some of your footage as Triem23 suggests, and see if you don't notice an immediate performance improvement.
  • Race out there and grab MPEG Streamclip and Avid DNxHD and install them, convert some of your footage as Triem23 suggests, and see if you don't notice an immediate performance improvement.

+1
    When I switched to 1080p from 720p on my 550d Dslr I found hitfilm almost unusable.
    The suggestion of Steamclip and DNxHD made all difference in the world. Felt completely different. (Better)

• I have been trying to do what you guys suggested and I have no idea what I'm doing. Could someone help me install VLC and avid DNxHD and then convert my movie.
  • I was wrong my video format is H.264

Sign in to comment