Hardware buying tips for running HitFilm

Comments

• Okay thankst is it that i am looking for 4 when i do upgrade it, the GPU video size EG 1024 MB?

• Okay thankst is it that i am looking for 4 when i do upgrade it, the GPU video size EG 1024 MB?

The amount of memory is great, but even some poor cards can have a lot of memory. The inner workings of the card are much more important, it's best if you are thinking of buying a new card to post your thoughts on here & someone will take a look at it.
    Here is a Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart which shows each graphics card & they are sorted by power. So at least you can see for yourself if you are looking at a card where about's it sits in relation to it's capabilities. Remember that the minimum specification for the software is the Nvidia 7900 GT & the AMD/ATi X1900
    Thanks
    Ady
  • okay, thanks 4 your help most helpfull
  • I bought the EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1gig, and it works pretty well, have LESS of a slowdown when I was doing a space tutorial. I didnt get the 2 gig because I was reading that is only needed for large displays or multi display set ups. I do have 2 monitors, my wide screen nice one thats current and my standard monitor that came with my dell in 03. I keep any tutorials or reference materials on that monitor while I do all my editing on my primary monitor.
  • For people on a tight budget we recently completed some tested with the NVIDIA GTS 240, which is a very cheap card starting at around $50. It's still on the low end of our requirements, so won't compare with a powerhouse card, but it performs extremely well considering its price.

• Quick update: I installed a GeForce GTX570 in a i3 with 8GB DDR3. It cannot handle AVCHD from a Canon HD camera, literally in any way. Once it's converted with Movavi to... AVCD it works great. What am I missing? It seems like it should support the Canon AVCHD native.

This system screams... But I was still trying to figure out why I need to convert the native Canon .mts to mp4 in Movavi (a great inexpensive converter FYI)? They are both AVCHD.
  • As I understand it, MTS is a very slow performing video format in general. MP4 is generally much faster to work with.
  • Off topic a bit, but what I have been doing, is my basic editing in SVP11, and rendering it to AVI uncompressed. Then I do my keying in HFU, and when I'm done, my final render is MP4.
  • My processor upgrade should be in. Im going from a Intel Q6600 2.44 quad core to an intel QX6800 2.93 quad core. Old yes but it gets the job done.

• This system screams... But I was still trying to figure out why I need to convert the native Canon .mts to mp4 in Movavi (a great inexpensive converter FYI)? They are both AVCHD.

Hi,
    Can you look at your original clips and tell me what type of audio the camera is using in the original format container. I have a few .mts format devices and found that the audio for my camera was in Dolby. Hitfilm does not have a 'hand-shake' agreement with Dolby, so the transcoding needs to convert to another audio layer. Just checking to see if this is the case with yours...
    uncle Dom
  • Hey folks, I'm thinking about buying a HP Pavillion HPE h8 1114. Do you guys think it would run Hit film ultimate well? Here are the specs
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-5146418-5156839.html?dnr=1
    It has an i5 processor, H61 chip set, 8 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 (1 GB dedicated)
    Let me know what you think. the price is right in my budget.
    Thanks!
  • Everything is fine except for the graphics card.
    The GT520 is an entry level card that doesn't appear to meet the minimum recommended list found below:
    http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements
    Definitely try and find a computer with a decent graphics card to really take advantage of what HitFilm has to offer.
    Hope that helps :)
  • Hi folks, drove myself nuts today at Frys trying to find a notebook with a good GPU :(
    Right now I'm looking at the ASUS G75 on Amazon. Here's the page http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VW-AS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007MW73C2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    My question is, is the GTX 660m a good choice in GPU?. The G75 has the GTX 660m, which doesn't seem to be on the recommend list, but I think it might be a new GPU.
    According to the GeForce pages, it performs better than the GTX 560m.
    Can anyone confirm that the GTX 660m, specifically in the above mentioned system would be a good choice for hitfilm?
    If not, any recommendations around the $1500 mark, give or take a bit? (preferably one in stock somewhere :) ).
    I'm really wanting to get a new notebook so I can get hitfilm :)
    A desktop would be so much easier, but a notebook is a must for me.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Richard.
  • I recently purchased the MSI GT780DXR. It has a GTX570M and works very good with Hitfilm.
  • AdyAdy Staff

Hi folks, drove myself nuts today at Frys trying to find a notebook with a good GPU :(
    Right now I'm looking at the ASUS G75 on Amazon. Here's the page http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VW-AS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007MW73C2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    My question is, is the GTX 660m a good choice in GPU?. The G75 has the GTX 660m, which doesn't seem to be on the recommend list, but I think it might be a new GPU.
    According to the GeForce pages, it performs better than the GTX 560m.
    Can anyone confirm that the GTX 660m, specifically in the above mentioned system would be a good choice for hitfilm?
    If not, any recommendations around the $1500 mark, give or take a bit? (preferably one in stock somewhere :) ).
    I'm really wanting to get a new notebook so I can get hitfilm :)
    A desktop would be so much easier, but a notebook is a must for me.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Richard.

Hi Richard,
    The GTX 660M is a good card & should run HitFilm just fine, it's very similar to the GTX 570M that rtrowbridge mentions below. I think the 570M just pips it in terms of power but they are almost identical.
    If you are looking to buy a Laptop, below is a list of some of the best known Laptop manfacturers:
    Sager
    Alienware (Dell)
    ASUS
    I hope this helps a little, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks
    Ady

I recently purchased the MSI GT780DXR. It has a GTX570M and works very good with Hitfilm.

The GTX 570M is a good card, glad that's working out for you. :)
  • Thanks Ady. I saw the three links in another post and have been looking at a Sager with the 670m, which seems a bit faster. I've never heard of Sager before, but I like the size of theirs over the ASUS I was looking at, which seems huge! Hopefully, I'll decide today and have one on the way. Anyone know how long it takes for Sager to ship once an order is placed and payed for?
    Thanks again,
    Richard.
  • Ok, just ordered a Sager NP9130 with i7-3610QM, GTX 670M GPU 1.5GB GDDR5 and 16GB DDR3 1600MHz. As soon as it's here, I'll be ordering Hitfilm Ultimate. I guess I've been really spoiled by Amazon Primes 2 day shipping, because it's going to be a looong week or so waiting for the Sager to come in :)
  • AdyAdy Staff

Thanks Ady. I saw the three links in another post and have been looking at a Sager with the 670m, which seems a bit faster. I've never heard of Sager before, but I like the size of theirs over the ASUS I was looking at, which seems huge! Hopefully, I'll decide today and have one on the way. Anyone know how long it takes for Sager to ship once an order is placed and payed for?
    Thanks again,
    Richard.

Hi Richard,
    No problem.
    Sager have been around for a while, they just seem to get lost under the radar as Dell, Alienware & ASUS are much more household names so to speak.
    I would say it will be about a week for it to arrive, but I honestly cannot say for certain.

Ok, just ordered a Sager NP9130 with i7-3610QM, GTX 670M GPU 1.5GB GDDR5 and 16GB DDR3 1600MHz. As soon as it's here, I'll be ordering Hitfilm Ultimate. I guess I've been really spoiled by Amazon Primes 2 day shipping, because it's going to be a looong week or so waiting for the Sager to come in :)

Nice! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with the software.
    Just a gentle reminder that there should be a disc that comes with your machine. This has the latest drivers on it, your card is so new that they don't even have drivers available online at all currently.
    Once they start getting drivers out, make sure you check Nvidia regularly as with driver maturity comes stability also.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • I know i spoke on this a page or 2 ago but would more ram have any performance benefits for hitfilm?
  • AdyAdy Staff

I know i spoke on this a page or 2 ago but would more ram have any performance benefits for hitfilm?

Hi,
    The best way to see an increase in performance from HitFilm is a better GPU (Graphics Card), but you should always be aiming for a well balanced system.
    More memory would only truthfully help if you were creating larger Composite Shots with lots of Shadows & Lights. But it would not increase performance in terms of speed, just allow for more.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • I am trying to figure out how to overclock my GTX 560 Ti using EVGA's software to squeeze out every bit of performance boost I can get.
  • AdyAdy Staff

I am trying to figure out how to overclock my GTX 560 Ti using EVGA's software to squeeze out every bit of performance boost I can get.

Hi,
    Be very very careful, if you are not sure what you are doing then you best not to attempt it at all. Overclocking can damage & shorten the life of components although some can be overclocked successfully you do risk damage to an expensive part of your machine.
  • Hi Simon.
    Save us a little work and add some links to desktop and laptop models that meet the processor and graphics card "sweet spot" criteria. I bought Ultimate about three weeks after getting a Lenovo laptop, which is awesome in all other respects, only to discover it has no graphics card when installing the HitFilm software. Now HitFilm is sitting on a shelf unused, because even the card that fit my existing desktop slows down most multimedia processes when installed.
    The point it, many of us would appreciate not having to spend a few hundred every time we attempt a purchase through costly trial and error, when the same budget could be allocated to getting the right hardware in the first place.
    Also, you, users: write describing your configurations, where you bought your hardware and how happy you are with it.
    Thanks everyone!
    Dan

• Hi Simon.
    Save us a little work and add some links to desktop and laptop models that meet the processor and graphics card "sweet spot" criteria. I bought Ultimate about three weeks after getting a Lenovo laptop, which is awesome in all other respects, only to discover it has no graphics card when installing the HitFilm software. Now HitFilm is sitting on a shelf unused, because even the card that fit my existing desktop slows down most multimedia processes when installed.
    The point it, many of us would appreciate not having to spend a few hundred every time we attempt a purchase through costly trial and error, when the same budget could be allocated to getting the right hardware in the first place.
    Also, you, users: write describing your configurations, where you bought your hardware and how happy you are with it.
    Thanks everyone!
    Dan

Is this what your looking for?
    http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements
    It shows a list of the Desktop and mobile GPU's minimum and recommended hardware requirements plus the other equipment.
    As for user configs: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/510-hitfilm-benchmark-scene/
    The above link shows a few of the configs on this forum and their associated render times though it doesn't have any info related to where people bought their hardware.
    Hope that helps!

• Hi Simon.
    Save us a little work and add some links to desktop and laptop models that meet the processor and graphics card "sweet spot" criteria.

Unfortunately, the fact that there are thousands of configurations of desktops and laptops available, combined with the fact that the specifics of the hardware and the cost can vary depending on what country or market you are in, and the fact that most models have a variety of options to choose from, means its not practical to create a list of specific computer models that run HitFilm. However, as Orange Pekoe pointed out, we do readily make the requirements of the software available, so you can compare the specs of any machine you are considering to the requirements, to make sure it meets them or to gauge potential performance prior to making a purchase decision.
  • Any recommendations on a workstation gpu? I am planning on building a computer and wanted to go sli. There is a lot of talk about the gaming GPU but no mention on workstations.
  • SLI technology only works for games. It has no benefits for running software in general, and in some cases can actually be slower than an ordinary card.
  • Oh ok thank you very much. Any recommendations for a workstation? Is hitfilm optimized for workstations or the game graphics cards?
  • AdyAdy Staff
    edited June 2012

Oh ok thank you very much. Any recommendations for a workstation? Is hitfilm optimized for workstations or the game graphics cards?

Hi,
    You would not really see a performance increase from buying a Workstation card, Workstation cards are predominately used for CAD, 3DS Max.. etc. They can also be considerably more expensive than a 'consumer' graphics card.
    In my opinion picking up the latest Nvidia card would be a better investment.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • Okay I have put together a beast, I think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVyJD9taPSA
    So any ideas on how to use this setup, to use HFU to it's fullest.

Sign in to comment