Exported video of images has bad quality.

edited December 6 in Express Support

Hi, I've searched for this but haven't found much help. If there's already an answer on this forum please direct me.

The issue I'm having trouble with is the low quality output of still image videos when rendered.

Here is a screenshot of the original JPEG image I'm using:

Pic 1

Here is the exporting setting I'm using (I've tried others as well):

Pic 2

And here is a screenshot of the rendered video quality result:

Pic 3

So what might be the problem? How can I get the same quality output as the original image used?

Thanks.

Comments

• @Tavo07 What's the resolution of the original image? 

If it is below 1920 x 1080 (which are your render settings) then it will be scaled up by the software - which would result in a blurry output.

• I would also add that if you are turning on the antialias option to something like 16 or 32x then, don't do that. Those modes will soften your image.

• edited December 5

@Stargazer54 The resolution of the image is quite big, 12536 x 7051, bit depth is 24. It's a JPEG and 1.67 MB. I just know really basic stuff so I added this extra info in case you find it helpful. I had to make it big so as I zoomed in (scaled) it wouldn't look pixelated.

@NormanPCN ;The project's antialiasing mode is set to 4x MSAA.

This is the original image: Original Image

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited December 5

Hmmmm. 

I don't believe Hitfilm supports media that large. Depending on your GPU it's likely the media is being resized on import. Hitfilm 4 automatically resized media to a max of 4096px across.

Hitfilm 2017 Pro and the current version allow 8k comps if the GPU is powerful enough, but might resize imported media to 8k across? I have no clue about Express 2017.

@CedricBonnier can you confirm? 

If this is so, then break your original file up into 4k by 3x (or 8k by 6k)segments (the bottom and right edges will end up smaller, of course), then reposition them at 100% scale in a Composite Shot so the edges line up (this is basic math) and parent everything to a point so they stay together. Then you can do your scaling and scrolling  ON THE POINT.

A bit of a kludge workaround, but it works. 

• edited December 5

@Triem23 Makes sense if that's the case.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz. 8 GB RAM. Running on Windows 10 64-bit. Nvidia Geforce GTX460M CUDA 1.5 GB.

And I'm definitely gonna try breaking the image up. Sounds great. I'll be posting my results.

Thanks.

• I'm a bit late to the party but yes, HitFilm resizes images to the maximum supported size on the GPU. It may not do what you want but this was done to prevent crashes. Like you said, the workaround is to manually resize the image and then import the resized image in the software.

• edited December 5

@CedricBonnier "HitFilm resizes images to the maximum supported size on the GPU."

A technical clarification if you could. The max size supported by Hitfilm or the max size supported by the GPU/GL. I am assuming the former since that is what you test for stability within Hitfilm.

edited December 5

@NormanPCN I think GPU. After all, 2GB VRAM is required for 4k work, and 4GB required for 8k. Yet my 8GB Nvidia 980m maxes out at a roughly 6k project/comp size.

So an Intel HD 4000 has a smaller max media size than an Nvidia 980m, which (presumably) has a smaller max size than an Nvidia 1080ti.

• I asked for the clarification because my old GTX 980 listed a 16k texture limit. 16384x16384. This is what the GL driver reports. My current 1080 reports a 32K max limit.

@NormanPCN oh, I want the clarification too. :) You know me... Always speculating. 

• First off I want to thank all you guys for the input. I’ve learned a lot.

@Triem23 I had difficulty reconstructing the sliced images back in place. So before asking how to do it step by step, I found a more detailed answer (also by you) in this link:

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/40584/large-jpg-import-crash

Here are the new results:

This screenshot shows the sliced segments forming the whole image. I’ve left small gaps between each segment in order to show where the cuts were made.

Whole Image

And here you can see the zoomed (scaled) in effect without any blur or decreased image quality.

Before      After

I'm very happy with the results. Hitfilm is awesome! And thanks again to all of you in sharing your knowledge and helping out.

I am truly grateful.

@Tavo07 First, kudos to you for finding that thread. Search on this forum is pretty terrible. 

Second, I point out from Cedric's response above the improvements in Hitfilm in the last 18 months--moving from a max 4kx3k to a kind of sliding scale based on GPU.

Third, glad you got your map to work the way you wanted it to! Always glad to help someone out. :) The new version is noticeably better. :) 

• @Triem23 @Stargazer54 @NormanPCN @CedricBonnier

Just wanted to share what the final project will look like.

https://youtu.be/ZOlH1u_SSEY

edited December 6

Nice!

Incidentally, I'll be doing similar travel map animations myself in the next month. 

• @NormanPCN Yes, I meant the maximum resolution that HitFilm supports, which depends on the GPU and the amount of VRAM that it's got.

•  Looks good!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment