Projects aren't autosaving

I''ve been working on a 1 hour project for the last 3 hours, had it nearly done, and HitFilm Express 2017 crashed. Hitfilm detected that there was an unsaved project when I reopened it, so I accepted the prompt, and the folder it opened was empty. Then I went File>Options>Autosave and looked at the path provided, which is not the one Hitfilm opened when I accepted the prompt. So, I went to that location on my drive and the autosave wasn't there either. Any tips? I'm feeling discouraged from even editing again today because I'm worried this will happen again.

Comments

• @DClark747 ; I believe that when a crash happens and it detects an unsaved project it is asking for you to give it a name so it will save into that empty folder.  If you close that process down without giving it a name it's gone gone!  There may be a way to make it detect the unsaved project a second time but I have never run across it, but I am no expert with Hitfilm by even a remote definition so wait until others can give further comment.

• @tddavis FFFFFF. I've just read the same thing on another thread, I suppose I should've read the prompt a bit more clearly. Hopefully there's some way to retrieve it somehow

• @DClark747 ; You might contact support (sorry I don't have the link available that others give out) but they won't be in the office until tomorrow I suspect.  So I would guess 9 am GMT??  Doesn't hurt to go ahead and have a message waiting on them though.

•  @tddavis I found the link, thanks. I've sent a message to support and hopefully they'll be able to assist me. I suppose for now I'll just get into the grind and start editing again.

• Unfortunately @tddavis is correct, once you dismiss the save dialog, it deletes the auto saved project, sorry.

We have in our internal backlog a task to improve this and make it harder to get into this situation but we haven't got round to doing it yet.

Sorry about the inconvenience...

• My suggestion: don't ask the user where to save an unsaved project if one is found.  Just force-save it to someplace very convenient (like the Desktop), and alert the user with a dialog to the location.  They can move/copy it wherever they want from there, but at least it's saved.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment