Issues with HitFilm Pro Version 6

2»

Comments

• @GrayMotion Yes I have, but not to the degree that you obviously are experiencing.

@Triem23 Don't tell me you already have glimpsed a copy of the spec sheet for Express Version 6? :o

• @GrayMotion Please contact support about both the performance regression and the crashes. We haven't been able to reproduce these crashes and it's the first time I hear about performance decreasing in version 6. Both should be fixed but unless we can reproduce the issue here, there is very little we can do.

• @Triem23 Clearly the screen shot told you a different tale than it told me.  IMO there was a lot of detail missing from the post that would have made the discussion more clear right out of the gate if it were there. I felt like I was filling in gaps the best I could with what little info was provided.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@HitfilmSensei I just assume the 360 Panel and Editor keyframing will carry over. Behaviors MIGHT be Pro-Only. I'm guessing, but for Essential Hitfilm it effects the Interface tour and Animation lessons and the custom decoders and native Cineform and MOV effect Import/Export and Transcode/Optimize. 

• edited November 30

@CedricBonnier Version 6 IS creating crash reports and sending them in so you should have some idea.

Tell ya what...build yourself up some 3D scene and test, test, test. These problems can be reproduced as you can see from @HitfilmSensei response.

Granted I probably go a little heavier on 3D models than most, outside of the masters triem23, spyurhank, tddavis and a few others,  so I doubt not many  will even get to the level of modeling to even report something like this.

I'm a longtime user and know what I'm doing with your software, after all I have 4 Pro versions installed. So as you can see I like your software.

I'll test more myself before I contact support to see what I can reproduce over and over and what I can't. Thanks for the response.

Edit:  There is a common thread. Both of the projects I built are utilizing cast reflections in the material settings. BTW - I have never used this option in the past. An observation; I see the only noticeable change on the surface to the 3D module is spherical and planer reflections.

• I've also had  issues with some 3D scenes that were built in the previous Pro version.  I load in one of those scenes containing a model and UV textures and get an immediate crash.  Then HF writes out the dump file and apparently uploads to FXHome.

I haven't run it down, but I am suspecting that there could be a vertice issue with one of the models that HF 6 doesn't like.   As soon as I can reproduce it, I'll report it as a bug.

But the question is, where do the dump files go after the crash and is anybody looking at those?

• @Stargazer54 ; good question, I wonder if anyone does look at the dump report 

• I would expect dump reports do get looked at. At what level who is to say. The dumps are not that big some someone cannot really do a post mortem debug. They probably have stack dumps in what is sent so one can look at call traces. 

Small dumps really have to point at kinda obvious things to identify any fix. If the function that crashed is basically operational, and unless you are alpha/beta testing it should be in that state, you are normally looking at boundary conditions. Here you need more complete info including the sequence of events leading to the crash.

I'll bet that often these things do not shine a flashlight on something says, here is the bug. Here I aam. Fix me. Having them is way better than nothing and it certainly gives statistical reports of what is going on out in the wild.

• edited November 30

Thanks for putting it that way NormanPCN

I sent support my scenario. Lets see if they can reproduce it. I'm thinking it (split windows crash/slow performance) has something to do with the Color depth and anything above 8-bit

• Well, I tried to run down my crashing issue tonight.  Note, in the image below the layer stack on the right reads into HF6 with no issues.

http://lcprod.com/hf/compare-04-05.png

The layer stack on the left crashes immediately on load.  Only differences are adding another parent at the top ,"TARGET",  another light "red" and the "Stream" particle effect.  One of these critters doesn't play well with HF 6.

Here is the render output.  The camera is also changed so that might be part of it, who knows?

http://lcprod.com/hf/compare-04-05-render.png

• AdyAdy Staff

@Stargazer54 - Could we have the project by any chance? It's going to be the simplest way of reproducing the issue & if it crashes here for us we can fix it ASAP.

• I have a new issue that has just arisen. I was working on a project, and all of the sudden, while I can see everything in the viewer window (whether it be on the editor timeline or in a composite shot), when I export it out, it is a black screen. It renders very quickly (only a few seconds). It does not matter what preset I use. I even put a picture on the timeline and rendered it. Nothing. Very Interesting.

• @HitfilmSensei that is very strange. Have you tried to create a new project containing just a colored plane and export this?

• @CedricBonnier I can export a new project just fine. It happened during an export. The video went black part of the way through the video, and now when I export anything out of the project file, it is only black.

• @CedricBonnier After rebooting my computer and restarting HitFilm, it now works properly again. That will be my work around for now. Hopefully, you guys can get it figured out. You guys  are some of the smartest people I know, so I am confident you will! :)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited December 2

@Ady ; I'll try to package up something for you tomorrow (just saw your request). 

On another note, I was looking at loading in some of the Fireball explosions from ActionVFX, that I had in my stock footage pile, and low and behold that crashed HF6, too.

Here is the MediaInfo on one of the clips.  They are 4K, ProRes 444.  This one is from the "Fireballs at Camera 4K Pro" collection.  (This same clip loads up ok in HF 2017 Pro.)

General
    Complete name                            : E:\Stock-Footage\Action-VFX\Fireballs-at-Camera\Fireball_0015_4K.mov
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : QuickTime
    Codec ID                                 : qt   2005.03 (qt  )
    File size                                : 368 MiB
    Duration                                 : 1 s 368 ms
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 2 254 Mb/s
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-04-10 06:50:23
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-04-08 06:56:29
    Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime
    ©TIM                                     : 00:00:23:30
    ©TSC                                     : 2997
    ©TSZ                                     : 50

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : ProRes
    Format version                           : Version 1
    Format profile                           : 4444
    Codec ID                                 : ap4h
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 2 248 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 4 096 pixels
    Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 1.896
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 4.239
    Stream size                              : 367 MiB (100%)
    Writing library                          : Apple
    Language                                 : English
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-04-10 06:50:23
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Other
    ID                                       : 2
    Type                                     : Time code
    Format                                   : QuickTime TC
    Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:23:30
    Time code, striped                       : Yes
    Language                                 : English
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-04-10 06:50:23

• I just install the latest version 6.07122 and it was working fine today until I install mocha Pro VR and continuum ofx 11.01.  Now It crashes everytime I try to open it. Here is the error message:

We're sorry Hitfilm pro encounter a problem and has to exit. To help us fix the problem, please send the crash report to us. I tried several time even to uninstall and reinstall the app with the same results. I also sent the crash report 4 to 5 times.

I am kind of desesperate here . Any help would be appreciated.

• @Jfrog if you hold Shift when starting HitFilm, does it work? Doing so will disable all OFX plugins.

• Thank you Cedric for the quick reply, Yes it does open and work when bypassing the OFX plugins. 

• I sent a ticket to Boris FX but it would be great to know if the problem comes from Hitfilm pro 6 or The Mocha VR plugin.  Anybody else with this problem? 

Thank you for your help!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Jfrog I don't have Mocha VR but the Mocha Pro plugin is working for me. Since you also have Boris Continuum, that might be part of the problem too. What you might want to try is to navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\HitFilmPro

There you should see two folders listed. BCC_OFX_3DObjects.ofx.bundle and mochaHitFilm5.ofx.bundle Move these to another location and try to start HitFilm Pro. If it starts, shut it down and move mochaHitFilm5.ofx.bundle back to the original location and try starting HitFilm Pro again. If that works, shut HitFilm down, move BCC_OFX_3DObjects.ofx.bundle and start HitFilm one last time. 

Note that Moderators like me aren't staff. This is just what i would try to start pinpointing where the problem is.

• I tried removing both BCC_OFX_3DObjects.ofx.bundle and mochaHitFilm5.ofx.bundle. Those were located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\HitFilmPro folder. This did not change anything but I remove the mochaVR5.ofx.bundle from the C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\plugin folder and Hitfilm can now start so it means that the mochaVR5.ofx.bundle is causing the crashes.   

Thank you very much for the quick tip for troubleshooting.  Now the only thing I have to figure out is if the problem is within  Hitfilm 6 or the MochaVR but there seems to be an incompatibility between both.  I am waiting for Boris FX to know if this can be a license issue since I upgraded the mocha pro to VR but I can't activate my license since I need to activate it within hit film...

Thanks again for your help!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Jfrog Ok I have the Mocha VR trial installed and HitFilm is not crashing on start up. I'm not sure what to think of that in terms of trouble shooting because I actually expected to see HitFilm crash.

• @Jfrog Have you tried to remove all OFX plugins and add only mochaVR? If this works then it's probably a conflict between multiple plugins. We'll have a look our end so see if we can reproduce.

• Hi Cedric,

Yes I did try to remove all plugins except the Mocha VR, but that did not work. When The mocha VR plugin is the only plugin, Hitfilm Pro does not open. When I remove the mocha VR5 plugin, Hitfilm works.

Thank you.

•  Is normal that if I load a .mov time into hitfilm it says QuickTime is not installed, it tought reading the changelog that in this HFP version a QT transcoder was built-in

• edited December 6

Hitfilm 6 can load very specific MOV files without Quicktime.

Typical DSLR files (AVC video and PCM audio) and Cineform and Prores MOV files.

If you have files with the DNxHD/HR codec or others, then Quicktime is still needed to read the files.

• edited December 6

@NormanPCN thank you I was just trying to import a DNxHD mov file, so I'll try with Cineform

• @Aladdin4d

@CedricBonnier I already posted this on another thread but just to keep you updated. 

"Remove everything in "C:\ProgramData\FXHOME\HitFilm Pro\ofxPluginCache" to clear the OFX plugins blacklist"

Martin at BorisFX suggested the same solution you suggested, and it worked! MochaVR is now running great in Hitfilm 6.

So thanks to both of you and others that helped me solved this problem. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment