Advice on Continued HitFilm Upgrades

I love HitFilm and I have been using it to edit, animate, composite, etc for several years now. I love how intuitive the software is for me, the support I've encountered, and just the overall vision that FXHome has for the software. I recently acquired access to Adobe's Creative Cloud and have been dabbling in in After Effects. There's been a significant learning curve as far as After Effects' interface and I've found myself drifting back towards HitFilm.

This post is not intended to be a comparative discussion about Adobe versus FXHome. Rather, I'm seeking advice from other filmmakers and animators. HitFilm studio was released and I'm very conflicted on whether I should try to transition to primarily using After Effects and Premiere or if I should purchase the updgrade for HitFilm and use all of the softwares in conjunction.

I would like to pursue film as a career and I'm not sure how applicable HitFilm-exclusive skills will be in a studio-type workplace but I would love to continue my relationship with HitFilm. I would really appreciate any advice or wisdom that anyone has to offer in this situation. If there's any questions I could answer to help those reading to better understand my concerns and uses, please ask. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Basic diff is AE is subscription based - you quit paying and your software quits working.

HF is pay for what you want and you keep the software.  If you don't want the next upgrade, then no problem.  It keeps running as the version you have and you edit and motion graphics along as long as you want. 

If a new feature release comes along you like, then pay for the upgrade then.  Otherwise, keep your money in your pocket and use HF as is.  The software keeps  running.

• CNKCNK
    edited November 24

If it makes you feel better, I use: 

Premiere, After Effects, Audition, , Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, Reaper HitFilm Express

Different tools for different purposes.

I despise Adobe's subscription service, but I can afford to pay like I do with Netflix, Spotify, etc. It's not an issue for me, but I think comparing is fair. You should never be worried about mentioning other software on this forum. 

On the topic of After Effects, it does some things better than HitFilm, and some things worse, because the plugins you need are not free for After Effects @Triem23 has got a comparison somewhere, though it might be outdated because both programs are constantly evolving...

This may be very inspirational for you. Just click play on the video below, and play from 44:20 to 46:00 : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPQGTiGFNU&feature=youtu.be&t=44m20s

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@CNK I'd have to find it, but I'd say the gap is narrowing in regards to Hitfilm's relative weakness, while its advantages continue to grow. Especially in 3D work, where Ae would need a core re-write to have unified 3D space with 3D media, models and particles interacting without plug-ins costing twice what Hitfilm does and messing around with occlusion layers. 

Ae's primary advantage is in Expressions now, but those new and sexy Behaviors are starting to chip away at that. The last Beta version of Hitfilm Pro I had the opportunity to use (and based my review/first look on) only had two of the Behavior types. The others all went live in the last month, so the team might continue to add more of these. 

Behaviors was something @JoshDaviesCEO mentioned to me in personal conversation in 2016, so that's a function I'm particularly excited to see implemented. At the time I couldn't visualize how it would work, but that year or two of development really paid off! It's a wonderfully Hitfilm way to take a very complex concept and make it easily accessible with minimal experimentation, and has real potential to make complex scripting operations seem clunky and primitive. Why key in a long stream of code when one can just drag, drop and twiddle some sliders? Josh, I just begin to understand why you were so excited about this, but, dammit, now I have to do a "How to Animate EVERYTHING, part 4" tutorial! 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment