My exported video looks like it had too much time in the H.264 department.

edited November 18 in Express Support

So problem is that after I've exported my video, it desyncs the audio, the compression is out of the window, and it is just generally bad. This is a gaming video, so there could be problems with the fps and such, but in that little video where you have a preview of what is happening of what you've edited, it looks completly fine. No desyncs with audio, the compression is good (had it at 95Mbps btw(recorded with Shadowplay)) and nothing looks bad at all, but the exporting part. HOO boy! It is shit. So what could I do wrong?

My export settings are:

Widt: 1920

Height: 1080

Scale Mode: Keep Aspect Ratio (can't edit)

Frame Rate: 60 (video is at 60)

Apect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Profile: Main

Level: 5.0 (if I have it at 4.0, it won't allow me to render)

Endcoding: Constant Bitrate

Bitrate: 95.906

Audio Bitrate is at 448 Kbps.

So did I do something wrong? Is there something I should channge?

Edit: So I was told to downlaod a software that could give the some more information about the video, so here they are:

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Herminator\Videos\Star Wars Battlefront II (2017)\Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) 11.17.2017 - 17.51.28.06.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (isom/mp42)
File size : 9.76 GiB
Duration : 28 min 38 s
Overall bit rate : 48.8 Mb/s
Recorded date : 2017
Encoded date : UTC 2017-11-17 17:20:07
Tagged date : UTC 2017-11-17 17:20:07

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
Muxing mode : Container profile=High@1.3
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Source duration : 28 min 38 s
Bit rate : 48.6 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 26.455 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 63.830 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.391
Stream size : 9.72 GiB (100%)
Source stream size : 9.72 GiB (100%)
Title : VideoHandle
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System M
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
mdhd_Duration : 1718751

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Source duration : 28 min 38 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 196 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 40.1 MiB (0%)
Source stream size : 40.1 MiB (0%)
Title : SoundHandle / System sounds
mdhd_Duration : 1718666

Comments

• @ThaHerminatar ; I'm certainly no expert but but I suspect your gameplay footage is Variable frame rate.  I have read a lot of post that say this causes audio/video problems on export in Hitfilm.  The wizards on here usually recommend install MediaInfo and generating a report to post here to confirm this:

download and install MediaInfo https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Copy and paste here a "Tree" report of a source file and your output file. This gives specific details on the files. 

If it is VFR I think you have to transcode to a Hitfilm friendly type file like @Triem23 tells you about in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Yqhl0mRuTng

I hope this helps you out.

•  @palacono Saw it, did it, video doesn't want to load, because apparently, windows doesn't support "mp4".

• @ThaHerminatar ; Windows does support MP4 but yours, unfortunately, is going to be a little difficult to deal with. Your frame rate varies from  26.455 - 63.830 fps with a target playback rate of 60 fps. HitFilm does try to handle video with a variable frame rate but it isn't perfect and that's a pretty extreme variance. You basically have two options - You can use the NormanAVC settings for Handbrake covered in @NormanPCN 's thread: 

Transcoding to fast decode AVC for timeline edit performance

You mentioned using ShadowPlay but you might want to switch to OBS. Farther down in the thread I just linked to NormanPCN covers NVENC settings for OBS you can use to avoid having to do this transcoding step.

Your other option is to convert to Cineform. You'll end up with much larger files, but HitFilm performs best with Cineform. Steps to do that are covered in my thread here:

How to Use VirtualDub FilterMod to fix VFR issues and convert to Cineform

Either way you'll end up with something that works and is much, much easier to deal with. Once it's done, then you can focus on output quality.

• edited November 18

That wide a variation in frame rate certainly does affect the quality of movement in the video. If you are getting those kinds of frame rate drops, then make sure you are using the low latency, high performance NVENC presets. Geforce experience does not give access to these settings so it is hard to know exactly what NVENC settings it is using. Probably better yet, just target 30p for your recorded video.

OBS will always output constant frame rate but when these performance related drop outs happen, what you get are duplicated frames in the output and therefore less smooth motion in the video. The lower overhead NVENC settings can cure that situation. At least one user who contacted me for some OBS help. It cured their situation.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited November 19

@Palacono that particular sticky ain't bad, but one would be better off with Norman or Aladdinvs thread, or, dare I say it, the above linked Essential Hitfilm video which specifically collected the information in the sticky thread and some good information from Norman and Aladdin into one package. ;)

Herminatar like Aladdin said, you're going to need to transcode. That's an insane variation. Norman can definitely help tweak initial capture settings. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment