Weird Problem wif Importing

edited November 13 in Express Support

I've recently gotten the new hero 6 camera. I recorded a few of my vids on 1080@120, 1080@240 and 2.7k@120fps.

The 1080@120 imported fine, but the 2.7k@120fps and 1080@240 turned into only audio for some reason, i can't think of a solution but what i thought of might be the size of the file as it is fairly large, ranging  from 500mb to 5gb

Comments

• I've recently gotten the new hero 6 camera. I recorded a few of my vids on 1080@120, 1080@240 and 2.7k@120fps.

The 1080@120 imported fine, but the 2.7k@120fps and 1080@240 turned into only audio for some reason, i can't think of a solution but what i thought of might be the size of the file as it is fairly large, ranging  from 500mb to 5gb

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited November 13

I don't think Hitfilm supports 240fps video. The 2.7k isva head scratcher

• edited November 13

so basically i can't edit using hitfilm? cuz i went on a trip n there is no way im getting the same shots again.. could you check for me?

• @DYoutube Can you share a small clip on Dropbox or Google Drive? That would be easier for others to test with.

• edited November 13

Oops!  My mistake.  Wrong problem.

• @DYoutube If I remember correctly, 1080@240 and 2.7k@120fps with the GoPro Hero 6 are saved using H.265, which is not supported in HitFilm at the moment. You can confirm this by installing MediaInfo and look at the output (or paste here the text output).

Until support for H.265 videos gets added, you can transcode your video to another format to be able to use it in HitFilm. Sorry about the inconvenience.

• edited November 13

Once you solve any media incompatibilities, I would add that since a normal playback rate for your edited videos is not going to be 120 or 240 fps you are also better off transcoding to your edited playback rate. Which is probably going to be 30 or 60p.

Otherwise, for normal speed play, every time you press play in Hitfilm it has to resample the high frame rate media to the edit frame rate during playback. This adds constant overhead which might cause edit performance issues. 

The easier we make things for the editor the smoother our resulting experience using the editor. Decoding very high frame rate AVC/H.264 (high overhead) media in real time, in an editor, is a very big ask.

The high frame rate stuff is really only useful for slow motion and for those parts that you want slomo you normally import the high rate stuff, possibly more than once, and manually reset the framerate in the Hitfilm media bin of each specific media item to the normal playback rate or whatever relative slow motion rate you are going for.

•  @Alladin4d, i don't think i can since all the files are massive.

@CedricBonnier may i know how to transcode? and what does it do if i do it?

@NormanPCN indeed, yes, i am using it for slowmo and stabilization. That's why i captured it as such a high frame rate and resolution. My output product will be at 1080@24.

Why to transcode and several different ways to transcode. In your case there's no "if you choose to." You're shooting a format Hitfilm doesn't read. You have no choice and MUST transcode. 

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

• edited November 14

@Triem23

May i know if i use premiere cc pro 2017, after doing some color grading and stabilzation, could i just export it at H.264 but kept at the same frame rate and resultion?

Is this recommeded? 

Also, there is another issue that might help you guys resolve my issue, on some/most of my footage, the video is not in sync with the audio. the video is in slowmo but the audio is in realtime

• May i also know if support h.265 is coming soon?

• Alright my whole forum post is a mess right now, let me clear things up.
    I went on a trip for 3 days. Shot with a Hero 6 Black at 6 different resolutions and frame rates.

1080@30, 1080@60, 1080@120, 1080@240, 2.7@60, 2.7@120

My issue right now is that whenever i import my 1080@240 or 2.7@120s it'll only import it's audio.

From my understanding, this is due to its encoding. However, may i know what i would lose if I transcode my 1080@240 and 2.7@120 to the standard h.264 as it is currently at h.265 or HEVC.

Depends on what you transcode do. For Mac, ProRes is highest quality, for Windows it's Cineform. File sizes will be much larger, but quality will be maintained. Otherwise the "Norman AVC" settings in Handbrake (given in the above linked video) are good, and you could crank the quality settings higher if needed. 

Oops, missed part of your post. Bouncing through CC is valid workflow. 

Video/audio mismatch. Look at a MediaInfo report (also covered in the above linked video). If your footage is "variable frame rate" that's the issue. NLEs don't like VFR (explained in the video, again). Hitfilm 2017 is the only NLE I know of that tries to correct VFR, but it's imperfect.

I THINK Hitfilm maxes out at 120fps? @CedricBonnier can you confirm?

FXHOME never comments on future functions until they are released into the software. H.265 support will remain a mystery. One issue with h.265 is the licensing fees are pretty heavy. For Express it would likely be added to the Premium Formats add-on, but that's just a guess. 

• I question that we will ever want to edit HEVC/H.265 video. AVC is harsh enough for the average machine. We have very frequent forum posts about performance issues with AVC media. HEVC can have even more overhead on decode than AVC.

Hardware decode could/might change this statement.

Cameras like the GoPro are going HEVC because they are bitrate limited and are trying to cram as much video as they can into that limited bitrate. HEVC has the best compression capability of the codecs out there.

Bitrate limits can really hurt ultimate UHD quality. The camera bitrate limits even apply to the frame rate modes. The higher frame rate bitrate jump may not be enough to get the same quality as the/a lower frame rate. Circumstance dependent of course.

• Problem Solved, Thanks to ALL of you guys for the Amazing Support!! Keep it UP!!

Cheers! 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment