Reaching Specs

Evening Folks,

Been searching around for a new Laptop to run HitFilm Express on for my camera that shoots 1080 @60fps. I'm not planning on anything major such as CGI or special effects, just smooth editing with a few illustration pop ups. The core of the mission is a solid GPU and I came across one that might steal the show at a good price. But given my lack of expertise on the subject manner, why not run the Hardware by the community first and see how it plays? 

• Intel i5-7300HQ  Quad Core 2.5 @6MB L3 Cash
  • DDR4 8GB Ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 @2GB
  • 256GB SATA SSD

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

See if you can get an Nvidia 1060. All Nvidia cards under the x60 are underpowered. The 1060 is only 20% more expensive than the 1050 ($30), but is about 80% faster.

Try and find out if RAM is user upgradable. 8GB is the bare minimum for Windows 10. 16 GB or more is recommended. If RAM is user upgradable, you can often find RAM cheaper than your vendor will charge.

256GB isn't a lot for video, especially if programs and proxies are on the same drive. 512GB or more is better. Again, find out if it's user upgradable. If so, just like RAM you can usually find the upgrade cheaper than the vendor. (and you can get a cheap enclosure to use the 256GB drive as an external.

CPU and GPU aren't user upgradable, so definitely do the 1060. If RAM/SSD are user upgradable you could let those go for a month or two and save up money... Maybe hit an after Xmas sale.  The SSD upgrade will be the most expensive bit. 

•  Thanks Mate, that's very helpful. Why the 16GB though?

• @DetroitDemigod Video work eats resources for breakfast, 2nd breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper, between meal and midnight snacks and dessert. One big benefit for HitFilm use other than just more is better is RAM preview, the more RAM you have, the more you can Preveiw

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment