Inner Shadow and Glow?

Since HitFilm doesn't seem to have any effects equivalent to AE's inner shadow/glow, how would you go about achieving a result similar to what is being done to the animated character in this video?

https://youtu.be/BI1Y5hgISSE

Basically like layer styles in AE/Photoshop where you can add an inner shadow or rim lighting effect with a specific angle to cast it.

I am using HitFilm 4 Pro if that makes any difference.

Comments

• edited November 3

Here's a way to do it that works in either Pro or Express.  One thing to note, though, is that your source material can't be too closely cropped.  It needs some space around it for this process to work.  If your source IS closely cropped, then drop it into a new comp first to give it some breathing room, then use that comp as your source for the steps below.

Another thing to note is that this process won't work with the built-in Drop Shadow effect.  At least I couldn't get it to work, so I found a workaround.

1. In the comp where you want to create this inner shadow/light effect, drop your source (either raw or pre-comped, as described above).
    2. Duplicate it and name the copy "Highlight"
    3. Drop the Invert Alpha effect on it
    4. Drop the Fill Color effect on it.  Crank the Blend Amount to 100% and set the color to whatever you want your highlight color to be.  Your character should now be completely surrounded by this color.
    5. Add the Blur effect to this layer.  You can play with the amount now, or mess with it later, when you can actually see its affect on your character.
    6. Add the Set Matte effect.  For the source layer, pick your original source.  Set the Blend option to "Subtract," and check the Invert box.  You should now see an inner glow all around the edge of your character.
    7. Select the layer in the layer stack, then drag it in the view so that the highlight is on the side you want.  For example, to put the highlight on the upper right, you'd drag to the lower left.
    8. Adjust the layer's blend mode, opacity level, etc. to get the highlight to your liking.
    9. For a shadow, just duplicate this layer, change its color to black (or whatever dark shadow color you prefer) and move it appropriately to create a shadow.
    10. If you plan on moving the source layer, I recommend parenting these highlight and/or shadow layers to the source so that they go along for the ride.

Here's how my test looked, using an image I snagged from the Interwebs.

• edited November 4

Nice one... :)

• Definitely a messier process, but a great substitute. Thanks!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@jsbarrett whipping out the 1990's method before Inner Shadow adjustments were invented... 

Sign in to comment