Graphic cards. From built-in to PCIe.

Hi,

I'd like to share my experience with graphics cards.

I run Lenovo SmartCentre M710t, i5, 8Gb RAM, built-in Intel HD Graphics 630. No, it is not a machine for a video editing, but for my needs it does just fine. Before upgrading the video card, it exported a 6:52 min project for 18:58 min.

Now, I have GT1030, the maximum I can put in my computer, and it renders the same project for 9:02 min. Two times faster. The viewer runs much smoother (no stutter) even in Antialiased mode.

So, in my case I got a definite boost in performance. The interesting thing was when I checked a GPU monitor. The peak usage was only 32% and 15-25 in average. To be honest, I expected more. Not to mention 4 core CPU fooling around. Still, I feel much happier.

Cheers.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

For the record, on rendering Hitfilm grabs video off the drive, decodes video (in Pro, particle physics are calculated CPU), then passes back to the CPU for encoding and writing to drive. This is why no one ever really sees either CPU or GPU pegging 100%. The processes are serial and each processor has some down time.

But, as you've said, you got the performance boost. That tends to show up more in viewer playback as there's not a handoff back to CPU to encode.

Looking at benchmarks, the 1030 is about 118% faster than the hd 630, so, once CPU encode is accounted for, half the rendering time sounds just about right, with the viewer performance being a bit over twice as smooth.

So, mission accomplished! :) 

I'm surprised you could upgrade the laptop GPU. That's rare. 

• It is not a laptop. It is a desktop :)

Thanks for explanation GPU<>CPU workflow.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment