New to Hit Film - Looking for examples.

Hi All,

So I've gone through page after page to look for ideas to implement for a car enthusiast like myself and may be help others along the way.

Little bit of background:

I'm part of a Jap car owners club and over the years I've accumulated hundreds of pictures and videos from car shows I attended. Recently I purchased a new PC that can finally handle Hit film. 

My pictures and videos are all in different formats: 720/1080 videos and pictures with various resolutions as well as rolling road and panoramic shots. 

what do i plan to achieve:

So the idea I've got in my head is our group logo which I would love to animate. I'm guessing i need to learn about masking and then i'm lost on how to animate a swinging motion. (to Animate the needle of a rev counter)

Next I'd like to do an introduction of the loyal members of the group, no matter if the weather is sunny, raining or snowing they always turn up. I have some high res pictures of their cars and want to add a zoom effect and then a HUD to pop up to describe the spec/torque and power of the car in an animated graph. I think I have understood transition from one picture to another but it's pausing it having a HUD pop up and the graph i'm stuck with.

Then I have hundreds of pictures of other car owners cars from shows but i feel it could get boring just transitioning each one individually - is there a way to randomize is all in one go?

Then the videos:

Some on the track and some rolling road shots - i'm guessing stabilizing and tracking will be my friend for these?

I'd like to add some comedy in to it too: I have some chicken videos where when they want to speed up they start to flap there wings and i was thinking to add the famous quite of "V-Tech kicked in" (although most of the owners in our group have Turbo/Super Chargers) 

There also a couple of videos of drift trike bikes that i'd like to add some effects of smokey rubber/flames out of the exhaust etc.

Then end with a scrolling credits/thanks including those from here who help. 

I would say I'm a very quick learner as long as i'm shown step by step and hope that a few members will be happy to point me in the right direction with links or tutorials that will help me. 

Please don't shoot me down for not using the search option as I also wanted to keep a history of my learning curve for Hit film and hopefully work my way up to be confident to help other car enthusiasts. 

Hope you all have a nice day and I look forward to responses. 

Kind regards,

Nas

Comments

• First off, welcome to the fun that is HitFilm!  We hope you enjoy your stay.  :)

To the point of your post, you might get more responses if you pick a single thing you want to achieve and focus a post on that.  Make new posts for new issues/questions as needed.  Asking for input on several ideas at once may overwhelm some folks.  Focusing a post on a single topic will also help others down the road who may be searching.

That aside, I'll try to do my best to address some of what you mentioned:

1) Animating a needle.  Once you have your needle image (whether you find one online or use existing artwork), you'll need to adjust the anchor point so it's at the base of the needle.  This way the needle will properly pivot as you change the rotation value.

2) Member introductions.  "I have some high res pictures of their cars and want to add a zoom effect".  You probably have a detailed picture in your mind of the "zoom effect" you want, but your description doesn't offer any detail.  I suggest making a new post with much more detail describing the effect you're trying to create (maybe including links to examples we can see as reference), which will help us guide you to the techniques you can use to achieve what you want.

3) "I think I have understood transition from one picture to another but it's pausing it having a HUD pop up and the graph i'm stuck with."  This is where comps come into play.  In a comp, you can bring in multiple layers and have them do all kinds of nifty things.  You'll need to design your HUD, create the individual elements that make it up (using HitFilm, PhotoShop, or whatever you want), then bring them into a comp to sequence and animate them.  Same goes for the graph.  Again, I recommend starting a new thread on this topic (or even pieces of this topic, i.e. "How do I make an animated graph?").

4) "Then I have hundreds of pictures of other car owners cars from shows but i feel it could get boring just transitioning each one individually - is there a way to randomize is all in one go?"  Randomize the photos and do...what?  HitFilm doesn't have any auto-randomization features, if that's what you're seeking.  In fact, there's very little that's automated in HitFilm.

I'd go on, but my time is short, and you've got a LOT of other things you list (another reason to divide and conquer vs dumping everything into one post: people who are short on time can answer a single question, but might not be able to answer a list of them).

Long story short: you clearly have a big vision for what you want to achieve, but it sounds like you want all the solutions at once.  Slow down and eat that elephant a bite at a time.  That will not only make the project more manageable and help you to learn HitFilm, but will help us to help you.  :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

May I recommend a detailed series of tutorials, focused on concepts, workflow and controls, not "create awesome effect?" 

Essential Hitfilm: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgfiM46Y0Ue0sk4ACtkEy9TPWO6JbgD79

• Thank you jsbarrett for taking your time for your reply. I managed to animate the needle using your advice and using a recorded exhaust audio of my car, pivoting and using the rotation was easier than i thought. Syncing the rev needle to the audio was the hardest bit for me. An example of what i'm trying to recreate is: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNo6yGQ0lQ

Triem23 thank you I didn't know there was a detailed series of tutorials on youtube - I have tried a search but i guess i wasn't using the right key words previously. Hopefully they should help me with this project. 

Many thanks 

Nas

Sign in to comment