Hitfilm 4 Express Slow exporting

When I export a 22 minute video it takes me 4-5 hours.

I am using:

VIDEO

Width: 1920

Height: 1030

Scale Mode: Keep Aspect Ratio

Frame Rate: 60

Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Profile: Main

Level: 4.2

Encoding: Variable Bitrate, 1 pass

Target Bitrate: 0.384 Mbps

Max Bitrate: 0.384 Mbps

AUDIO

Codec: AAC

Bitrate: 192 Kbps

Comments

• What are your system specs? CPU, GPU, HDD, OS, RAM?

And what kind of visual effects are you rendering?

• CPU: AMD A6-3670 APU

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680 4GB

4TB hard drive

Windows 10

8GB RAM

and no visual effects.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Well... What's your source video? This might have something to do with it.

Um. Your export settings are kind of wrong. If you're going to set a VBR with identical target and max bitrates, you may as well export CBR.

But don't. VBR is better. With VBR, generally you want the Max bitrate to be 150% of the target bitrate. So if target is 10Mbps, then max should be 15Mbps.

We'll come back to the rest of your settings in a minute.

Next, here's the basic render order for Hitfilm. The CPU reads the video files from the hard drive. Video files are decompressed to full-size, passed to the GPU. GPU does any effects and rendering of the frame. The CPU then recompresses the frame and writes it to the drive.

So. Hard drive. I'd be interested to find out if it's 5400RPM or 7200RPM. Please note that a 7200RPM drive would be considered the minimum for working with SD files back in 1999. 1080p footage at 60 fps is 12(!) times the pixel data of SD. Your drive is possibly a bottleneck.

Your CPU is several generations old and is near the bottom of it's generation for performance. It's slow. This could be causing a bottleneck.

Hitfilm itself isn't the speediest program for basic video read and decode.

Which brings me back to your settings.

Uncompressed 1920x1080 video at 60 fps has a data rate of 2846.66 Mbps. With an export bitrate of 0.384Mbps you are asking Hitfilm to compress your video by a ratio of 7415.77:1. By comparison, something like a DJI Osmo compresses at a ratio of under 50:1.

Now, it should be pretty obvious that the more you compress video the longer it takes to compress. Your compression ratio is utterly ridiculous. Obviously the Osmo is compressing in real time--but you're compressing at a ratio almost 150 times greater than that camera. you cannot expect anything close to real time performance at that level.

Finally, your bitrate settings are way too low. Period. A 0.384 mbps bitrate is under half of what would have been used for an SD mobile phone video 10 years ago. You have 12 times the data! Your output is going to look terrible. Youtube (for example) would recommend an export bitrate of 12Mbps for 1080p.

• Thank you very much for your detailed reply.  My HDD speed is 7200 RPM.  Please tell me what setting I should use given my current hardware?  I am getting an upgrade on Wednesday.  My new hardware will be Intel i7 7700K CPU, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD.  Keeping the same graphics card as before.  What setting should I use for the new hardware?  Thank you.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment