[SOLVED] Reinstalled Windows; problem with displaying .mov files despite installing Quicktime

edited October 20 in Express Support

I had to reinstall Windows and I have a problem resuming my Hitfilm project. When I first opened my project, there was an exclamation symbol inside a triangle for all my .mov files and the instruction to install Quicktime. I installed Quicktime 7.7.9 and re-opened Hitfilm and now the warning has gone away but when the .mov files are played, nothing appears in the VIEWER window. When I play the files in VLC player, the moving images are displayed as expected.

Comments

• VLC is fully self contained so that means nothing.

What are in your MOV files? Got a full text MediaInfo report? You should know the drill.

Do your MOV files contain DNxHD per chance? If yes, then re-install the Avid DNxHD/HR Quicktime codecs.

• Thanks, Norman; it was the DNxHD codec I was missing. It's been a while since I set everything up the first time and I forgot this was part of the process. Thanks again (below information from Mediainfo but not really needed now!)

General
    Complete name : E:\Projects\YouTube\AST KB-102 augmentation\Keyboard B-roll 2.mov
    Format : MPEG-4
    Commercial name : DNxHD 185
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt 0000.02 (qt )
    File size : 355 MiB
    Duration : 16 s 128 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Constant
    Overall bit rate : 184 Mb/s
    Writing application : Lavf57.56.101

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : VC-3
    Commercial name : DNxHD 185
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : HD@HQ
    Codec ID : AVdn
    Codec ID/Info : Avid DNxHD
    Duration : 16 s 80 ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 184 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.540
    Stream size : 352 MiB (99%)
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings : Little / Signed
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : sowt
    Duration : 16 s 128 ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 2.95 MiB (1%)
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

• Hi! i have the same issue with .mov files. I have quicktime on my laptop, installed Avid DNxHD/HR Quicktime codecs, reinstalled Hitfilm Express 2017, but no effect, nothing appears in the viewer window.

• Here is the media info:

General

Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Commercial name                          : DNxHD 36
    Format profile                           : QuickTime
    Codec ID                                 : qt   0000.02 (qt  )
    File size                                : 59.6 MiB
    Duration                                 : 13 s 263 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 37.7 Mb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf57.25.100

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : VC-3
    Commercial name                          : DNxHD 36
    Format version                           : Version 1
    Format profile                           : HD@LB
    Codec ID                                 : AVdn
    Codec ID/Info                            : Avid DNxHD
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 36.1 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.727
    Stream size                              : 57.1 MiB (96%)
    Language                                 : English
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings                          : Little / Signed
    Codec ID                                 : sowt
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 2.43 MiB (4%)
    Default                                  : Yes
    Alternate group                          : 1

Other
    ID                                       : 3
    Type                                     : Time code
    Format                                   : QuickTime TC
    Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
    Time code, striped                       : Yes
    Default                                  : No

• @AL_ien It might be a stupid question but have you rebooted since installing QuickTime and the Avid codecs?

• Yes, i did

• @AL_ien Ok next stupid questions, does your clip play in QuickTime? Have you tried a clip in something other than HitFilm?

• Hm.... that's weird, but quicktime shows me a black screen, while vlc and mpc-hc from k-lite codec pack shows fine

• @AL_ien It's not that weird, neither one uses QuickTime. The k-lite pack relies heavily on LAV/FFmpeg DirectShow decoders. VLC uses a variety of libraries including FFMpeg. HitFilm, on the other hand, requires the QuickTime framework and codecs. If QuickTime won't play an MOV, neither will HitFilm. 

Since your clips play in VLC and MPC-HC but not QuickTime that indicates a problem with your QuickTime installation and/or the Avid QuickTime codecs. Uninstall, reboot, cleanup, re-install reboot for both is a recommendation BUT:

Codec packs and K-lite in particular are known to wreak havoc with editing software from time to time. Unless it's going to royally screw something up for you, I would get rid of K-lite, uninstall the Avid codecs and QuickTime, cleanup and start over. When you're ready to re-install, do QuickTime first, reboot then do the Avid codecs and check to see if QuickTime will play your clips. If your clips won't then it's time to dig in deeper to find out what's going on with QuickTime. If it will, you can move on. Instead of installing the K-Lite codec pack, try using just the LAV filters and MPC_HC.  

•  i re-installed quicktime and tried to play the video again. The program says that to play the video it need some additional components and advise to download them. When i agree and click the button it send me to apple.com where written "page not found". if i try to play video anyway, then just black window

• Any ideas?

• @AL_ien Unfortunately no. Once you have a good install of QuickTime and the Avid codecs it should just work without having to add additional components.

All I can think of is make sure you're getting QuickTime from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US

Once the installer is downloaded, right click it, select Properties, tick the Unblock box and click Ok, Right click again and run as Administrator. It almost seems like you're running into a permissions issue somewhere. Maybe  your anti-virus is blocking some necessary registry entries?

• i've downloaded installer from the official site, but still no luck... it's very strange

• @AL_ien Yes it is and I wish I had better advice but this is one where I'm at a loss. You should try contacting support and see if they've seen the problem before.

•  Can someone check one of my .mov footage? can you guys open it on your computers via hitfilm and quicktime? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KjcsC4EbPhUg5gGOhmLk4a1R05AwmZ0k

• @AL_ien Working for me

• @Al_ien ;   Sorry, I kibbitz here and got the wrong problem at first, but I downloaded your file and when I import it into Hitfilm Pro 2017 I get a blank(transparent) image which would be black on render as you said.  When I tried to open it in Quicktime 7.7.6 (1680.95.31) I get the same pop up you listed which is the first time I have ever seen it.  I then played it in VLC and it played flawlessly and it's really good looking footage (I can see why you don't want to try a reshoot.)  So, I tried converting it to an AVI with XMedia Recode and while it played in Hitfilm it had artifacts that looked like lingering afterimages of previous frames on it so it was totally unusable.  Sorry I have no suggestions but I shall try downloading the extra files at Quicktime to see if I get the same result you do.  I did have the same result at Quicktime's page.

@Aladdin4d What Quicktime version are you using?

• @tddavis @AL_ien QuickTime 7.7.9 (1680.95.84) and Avid Codecs LE 2.7.3 from here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

•  If plays for me. Windows 10, Quicktime 7.7.9, Avid codecs 2.7.1

• i do use quicktime 7.7.9 and this 2.3.7 avid codec. interesting thing, but when you download avid codec, it has version 2.7.3 (written on the web page), but when you install this file, it shows 2.3.7. Can it be a problem in OS? i use win10 64 bit

• edited November 13

@Aladdin4d ; Thank you for the link.  Just installing the codec from Avid worked with my older version of Quicktime and Hitfilm perfectly, but I am downloading the new Quicktime version you indicated as well.

@Al_ien ; I hope you post your project here in the Gallery when you're done.  I would love to see more of that footage.  That train ride is eerie with the mist/fog! 

• do you guys use premium formats package?

• edited November 13

@Al_ien ; I would assume it comes with Pro as I have never purchased any add-ons.  That's something I never thought about with your issue was the Premium format package.  It very well may need that on Express installs. I'll let Aladdin4d answer that question.  He is by far much more knowledgeable than I. 

• @AL_ien Where are you seeing the Avid codecs listed as 2.3.7? That version is several years old now and checking my installation everything says 2.7.3

• I swear, before ccleaner was showing 2.3.7 (after installation of that codec). I deleted quicktime and avid codecs, went into safe mode and cleaned the system via ccleaner. then i reboot and installed again quicktime and avid codecs (now it shows version 2.7.3). However, quicktime still won't show the footage :(

• @AL_ien Check what's in 

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTComponents

The Date Modified ought to be 8/29/2016 for anything Avid with the exception of AvidAVdhCodec.qtx having 2/16/2016 as the date.

•  Yes, i have all of this files except one. I don't have the CFHDCodec.qtx

Dates modified are the same as yours

• @AL_ien that last one is the Cineform Quick Time codec and you wouldn't have it without installing the last version of GoPro Studio that has it.

• Then i complitelly confused :( But what about premium formats? Does it influence somehow? However i guess it doesn't really matter, if quicktime cannot play the file

• @AL_ien The premium formats pack won't have an affect because as you already figured out, if QuickTime won't play the files, it doesn't matter. And I'm totally confused on this too.

If you transcoded your footage to begin with, try transcoding again only this time to Cineform. It performs better in HitFilm Windows than anything QuickTime based. Cineform support is native in HitFilm and now VirtualDub FilterMod has native support for Cineform too so free tool and nothing else to install.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42015/how-to-use-virtualdub-filtermod-to-fix-vfr-issues-and-convert-to-cineform/p1

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment