Recreating Retro ABC Novel Intro with just Hitfilm Express

Is it possible with just Hitflm Express to recreate the old intro for the ABC Novel for Television Intro

Here is an uploaded version of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVoj8qA42k

Comments

• I think you could achieve it with a bunch of images, and the background logo, and animate the movement of each layer.

• Definitely doable in Express.  The layers look pretty simple, and all the animation appears to be linear (not surprising given the date this was made).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Totally doable in Express.

The two layers of horizontal lines are easy to create with a small plane and the grid filter.

The background is a plane with a gray gradient, the ABC circle is a masked plane with a gradient, and the text... Has a gradient.

The only thing here that will take any time at all is creating that grid of lights, which is manually placing small lens flares on a single plane.

Otherwise animation is simple sing-axis moves with linear keyframes. 

• "The only thing here that will take any time at all is creating that grid of lights, which is manually placing small lens flares on a single plane."

...or using the Half Tone effect on a mid-grey plane to make an array of white circles on a black background, blurring them, and using Demult to kill the black.

...or make a single white circle over black.  Demult, Blur, Tile.

@jsbarrett nice! Two simple elegant solutions! I think I like your half tone idea, with glows after the Demult. 

• Or having a PNG with vertical lines, a PNG with horizontal lines and a PNG with circles. Mix them with care in a composite shot then add glow and bake 20 min at 180°F while keyframing the position

edited October 19

@Emecorp that would work also. :-) I'm just one of those people who always tries to find a solution using Hitfilm's tools before saying, "Well, first you need to go into another program..."

Pros and cons--creating your elements procedurally in Hitfilm means that you can instantly change the look of the elements inside Hitfilm by adjust the filters used (so changing the spacing on horizonal lines by adjust the grid points), and you don't have external media to keep track of with the project file. On the other hand, creating PNG elements and animating those might be a little faster to render since Hitfilm isn't creating assets on each frame, just positioning something already created. That said, this is a simple enough project I don't think there's be much lag.

Bottom line SolidSnake2003 is you can absolutely create this in Hitfilm Express using multiple methods (there are other ways to do this that haven't been brought up yet).

Incidentally, if you don't have it yet, here's the font you'll need to recreate the ABC logo: https://www.ffonts.net/Velocity.font?text=abc (Look for a small RED "Download" button, not the big BLUE "Download button that installs some adware crap.)

Or, you can use this font: https://fontmeme.com/fonts/neometric-font/

Or, if you don't want to install the font, this page will create a bitmap graphic for you to import: https://fontmeme.com/abc-font/

EDIT: I've personally downloaded and installed both linked fonts. They both work correctly in Hitfilm.

edited October 19

Ah, the hell with it. Here. I built it for you in Hitfilm Express 2017. This is in 1080p, using the entire 16x9 aspect ratio. If you want to redo this at a 4:3 aspect ratio or different resolution you can either modify this project or use it as a guide to create your own.

The actual ABC logo animates for 4 seconds before becoming static. I animated for 5 seconds because of the additional width of the HD aspect ratio.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnoiex02wgwycw8/ABC Novel ForTV Intro.hfp?dl=0

I used the free font "Abril Fatface" for the "Novel for TV" text and the "Velocity" font for the "ABC" logo.

Took about 20 minutes, start to end.

@Jsbarret man, you were totally right about the halftone effect. Good call, again!

•  @Triem23 Thanks! It was on my mind thanks to another project I'm working on.

• @Triem23 and @jsbarret both spot on! It's always nice to have you for some really pro advice. 

And yeah, customizing the look of the effect in the program is great! It would take longer the PNG-way

@Emecorp if you want to grab the project file I linked in my prior post, go for it.

One thing I've realized lately is that GRID is an underrated effect. I'll be using Grid to make alignment guides in the Hit-U tutorial going up tomorrow, and using Grid to create graphics elements in a tutorial that should be on the official Hitfilm channel next week. 

• edited October 19

@Triem23 I use Grid for a single alignment '+' at 0.0 and saved it as a Preset called 'Alignment Grid'.  Leave where it is, or drag around to where you need things to sit.

You can drag two of those onto a plane layer and move the centres about to make boxes of varying sizes for Text etc. to stay inside., like custom 'safe' areas.

Edit: Oh, your Layer in the project is also called 'Alignment Grid' :)

• I once used grid with 3d extrusion to make a set of shelves

• Yeah! I already dissected your file, actually change the Half-Tone settings as I thought the circles where too close together, and boom. Few clicks and it's done.

Thanks again for enlighting us

• edited November 3

Triem23 - Thanks for the project file.  It is working perfectly.  I couldn't have done it better myself.

Sign in to comment