Trimmer scrubbing Video clunky choppy

Hi guys, when I'm dragging pulling the timeline bar looking for my edit (Ins & Outs) the play back viewer or trimmer viewer on the left is extremely choppy and clunky. Its not able to scrub per frame and jumps ahead in blocks of time. The issue has always been horrible so bad that when I'm looking for something I scrub my footage in my default player which is time consuming to go back and forth.  My PC is a fairly high powered Asus GL502VS with i7 6700 HQ CPU 2.6 with 32 GB ram NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 graphics card and lots of hard drive storage. P.S I'm not referring to play back of my edit project I'm purely talking about scrubbing footage before you pull it down onto your timeline. Do you guys experience this? Advice? THanks

Comments

• Hi guys, when I'm dragging pulling the timeline bar looking for my edit (Ins & Outs) the play back viewer or trimmer viewer on the left is extremely choppy and clunky. Its not able to scrub per frame and jumps ahead in blocks of time. The issue has always been horrible so bad that when I'm looking for something I scrub my footage in my default player which is time consuming to go back and forth.  My PC is a fairly high powered Asus GL502VS with i7 6700 HQ CPU 2.6 with 32 GB ram NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 graphics card and lots of hard drive storage. P.S I'm not referring to play back of my edit project I'm purely talking about scrubbing footage before you pull it down onto your timeline. Do you guys experience this? Advice? THanks

• edited October 17

Choppy playback in the trimmer or timeline is normally due to a high overhead media file being played. Scrubbing is more harsh than playback. You probably have an AVC/H.264 media file. 2.6 can be a bit low of a CPU clockrate for these high CPU overhead AVC files in Hitfilm.

Why don't you copy+paste the full text report from the free MediaInfo utility program into this thread.

• What is your video source?  Did it come from a camera, screen capture software, or something else?  Most video is optimized for playback, not scrubbing during editing.  It's strongly recommended that you transcode your footage before editing to make the editing process much smoother (for both you and HitFilm).  Here's a video that goes into more detail about the why and how of transcoding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

• You asked this already in a previous thread. You never responded.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/45142/trimmer

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited October 19

@Andy001z well. I've now merged this thread with the one you linked. One thread per question keeps conversations easier to follow. :) 

• Hi guys, the footage is from my Sony FDR x3000 action camera basically Sony's version of the GoPro. The footage is not 4k just 1080p. Playback is always fine but pulling the timeline or scrubbing it can't handle it. If your searching for a certain part in a clip it can be very cumbersome as you can imagine. Sound like my CPU is too slow which is a bit disappointing. I was hoping this Replubic of Gamers computer would be a good little editor work horse with the GTX1070 graphics card. 

P.S sorry for the double thread guys. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Your footage is in a highly compressed format unsuitable for editing. Also probably Variable Frame Rate.  The why's, how's and fixes are all in this video.

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

• As a test and or comparison I wanted to see if I'd have a similar experience in another program so I tried scrubbing in MAGIX Vegas Pro 15 Edit and absolutely no problem pulling the timeline bar and viewing frame by frame and scrubbing. I have difficulty blaming the Hitfilm trimmer problem on 1080P footage. That's a bit weak. 

• Hitfilm is on the slow side with regards to basic timeline frame rate. High overhead media, aka AVC, tends to expose this issue on the type of machines (CPUs) that most people have. The good thing is that a transcode really does cure this issue for most.

So maybe you have to work with and help Hitfilm out a little on this point. The rewards of the application after that adjustment are pretty darn good.

Sign in to comment