High resolution templates not available

Hello,
I have a problem with creating a high resolution (2,5k or 4k) project.
When I start a new one the last templates I see are 2k and 1440p.
I can load 4k files into the timeline, but the file rendered later later to 1080p looks really poor.
Is it possible that Hitfilm analyzes my hardware and hides 4k templates?
I cannot also enter such resolutions manually via custom template.
my processor is Xeon E3-1231v3 and i have 16gigs of RAM, but my graphics card is an old Radeon hd 4800.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Correct, Hitfilm will hide the render templates if Hitfilm determines your GPU isn't up to it.

4k work in Hitfilm requires a GPU with 4 GB of VRAM yours just doesn't have that, so Hitfilm won't let you create a 4K project.

Probably time to upgrade. It IS a decade old card. It's served honorably, but it's time...

About $100 gets you a radeon r7 560 with 4GB of RAM that's a bit over three times faster than your hd 4800. And that's one of the lower end AMD cards in 2017. $250 will get you the r7 580, which is over seven times faster than the hd 4800. Since Hitfilm uses GPU for most rendering tasks this will really speed up your Hitfilm workflow and rendering. 

•  Thank you, I was planning to change this card but had not an idea what would be optimal these days.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Optimal GPU is always tough. Juggling price/power ratios is a pain.

The r7 580 is a good AMD card, but it's a midrange card.

If money is no object, look at the AMD Vega 64 or Nvidia 1080 ti. For midrange, the r7 570 or Nvidia 1060 are the sweet spot fir power/price ratio. 

Problem with GPUs is cryptocurrency freaks use GPUs for mining, so the best cards are now scarce and expensive.

But, here's a recent article on recommended GPUs for mid 2017.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-graphics-card

• I found a RX 470 for a decent price, and is among the GTX 1060 and 1050ti in performance. Not the best, but better than your old graphics card for sure.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment