Express does not play .mts file audio, but VLC does.

I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong.

I have a thirty minute .mts file recorded on a Canon handheld video camera.

When I bring it into Hitfilm Express the audio appears flat (no waveform).  Playing and scrubbing have no audio at all.  But if I bring the clip into VLC it plays with audio just fine.

I've checked that the timeline audio track (it's on track 2 for some reason) is not muted.

My computer is based on an AMD Ryzen 7 1700x with an EVGA 970 FTW video card, onboard Nahimic audio.

Comments

• You mentioned an MTS file. Could this be an AVCHD file? Express does not support AVCHD audio without the premium formats expansion pack.

Could you post a full text report from the free MediaInfo utility to this thread so we can know what type of media file your are attempting to use.

• BTW, my Sony camera produces AVCHD .MTS files and I needed the Premium Formats Pack to play the AC-3 audio, so I think Norman's nailed it.

• Sigh.  I'm a bit flummoxed that a free editor requires purchases before  use.  

Ok, here is the MediaInfo format information:

General
    ID : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name : R:\00000.MTS
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 1.35 GiB
    Duration : 35 min 47 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 5 412 kb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 13.7 Mb/s

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 932 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 12.0 Mb/s
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method : Separated fields
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.106
    Stream size : 1.23 GiB (91%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -67 ms
    Stream size : 65.5 MiB (5%)
    Service kind : Complete Main

• edited October 13

Because some formats require licences to be paid to the numpties at some companies who think it's a good idea to sell a camera that produces a certain format file, then charge to allow you to view it. So, if you were unfortunate enough to buy one of those camera: (as I was) you get to pay twice, only Hitfilm makes no money out of either of the times you pay.  :)

"Hello, would you like to buy a car?"
    "Yes, please, here is my money"
    "BTW, we charge you $5 every time you want to turn right"

• edited October 13

Yes, that is an AVCHD file and you need to premium formats pack for the Dolby Digital audio (AC-3) decoder feature.

You could transcode the audio away from AC-3 if you want/need to avoid the premium formats pack.

As Palacono said, FxHome has to pay other companies/organizations to provide the ability to read certain formats.

Disregard the cost of developing the software in this argument. FxHome has negative revenue just offering the software for free. This due to paying others for certain features (media file decode and encode mostly). So even if an Express user buys a $25 expansion pack they could still be negative depending on what the actual costs are for the offered decode/encode features. So FxHome reduces the negative revenue in Express by limiting the supported formats without the premium formats pack.

Express does support AVC as output by DSLR cameras, digicams, action cameras, drones and phones. That covers a pretty big market. Free to the end user, but not free for FxHome.

Apps like VLC, also free, can skirt some of these legal issues because they are not a "product". They are just source code. Back in the day of the MP3 patents, LAME, the mp3 encoder got around the patents because it was just source code. LAME, tongue in cheek, stands for Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder. The source code skits the legal liabilities but someone who compiled it and used it in certain ways was then liable.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Palacono and Norman did a good job of discussing licensing fees. Last note there. So far, any add ons purchased in Express have rolled over to the next version. So users who purchased things like Mocha or Premium Formats with Hitfilm 3 Express are still using those same packs in Hitfilm Express 2017. Bear in mind that a full-version-number upgrade requires paying new licenses to Dolby for AC-3 and Boris for Mocha. FXHOME ate (subsidized) those upgrade fees for thousands of users.

New topic:

Your MediaInfo report indicates your footage is both interlaced and 1440x1080. This brings up other issues.

Hitfilm doesn't like interlaced media much and doesn't have interlaced output. You will either need to add a Deinterlace effect to every clip, or, transcode to a progressive format before import.

1440x1080 footage is stretched horizontally to fill a typical 1920x1080 frame. This mean the "Pixel Aspect Ratio" of the media is "1.33." When exporting from Hitfilm if you find you're getting "tall and skinny" video with black bars on the edges, then edit the export template, changing pixel aspect from 1.0 to 1.33.

• Ok.  Thanks folks.  Some of that actually made sense to my thinking unit.  

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment