Help, Hitfilm didn`t import my avi.video sound.

Hi Comunity 

This is my first cry for help, i recently started recording small onscreen let`s plays. I record them with MSI.Afterburner, who saves them as avi. data. 

The Problem is when i import these videos in to my hitfilm-editor, There is no sound! I can play the video but there is simply no sound, it didn`t even shows the soundline in the audio-bars. 

What can i do? The videos definetly have sound and i can play them with mediaplayer without problem. Shoud i convert them with a converter, and if Yes wich one would you recomment?

Thank you community.

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Can you install MediaInfo and post a report from one of your clips here? That will give people the info needed to figure out what's going on. How to use MediaInfo is covered in this video starting @ 19:33

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Aladdin4d a little research shows MSI Afterburner has four basic recording options. MJPEG, h.264,Uncompressed and RTV1.

RTV1 is known to have compatability issues with VLC, Premiere and Avid, so first guess is @TheBeginner34 recorded RTV1.

This will require transcoding. Beginner, the video Aladdin already linked covers multiple transcode options as well. Do the MediaInfo report like he suggested, since I'm guessing here.

If you did record RTV1 in the future you'll want to use MJPEG or h.264. Do a short test record to see which looks better. Even with those other formats you might see performance increases from transcoding anyway. This is ALSO covered in the linked video. 

• Thank you for the fast answer, i will check it out

• How do i upload a sceenshot?

• edited October 10

@TheBeginner34 Host it somewhere else, then insert the link in your post.
    I use http://www.photobucket.com but there are dozens of others that are suitable.

• edited October 10

@TheBeginner34 ;  The forum doesn't have image hosting ability.  You have to upload your image to a file hosting site or your cloud storage (I usually use my Google drive) and post a link.  Somehow there is a way to get it to post preview image but I am clueless on that.

• edited October 10

postimages.org is free and easy to use. They even have a Windows tray app to do screen shots, upload and get a link you can paste into the forum here.

• @NormanPCN ; Hey, Thanks for that address.  Maybe now I can quit using the Google drive.  That is such a pain of hoops to go through to post a link.

• edited October 10

@tddavis Actually I am pretty sure I got that from @Aladdin4d years ago. Been using it since. Don't know why it is not in the forum sticky post on how to post images.

@Palacono I suggest getting out of photobucket. They're going subscription and, slowly, but surely, locking people out of their own accounts. I tried to download some of my own images from photobucket a couple of months ago because it was easier than searching for the archive drive from 2007--imagine my surprise when I was told I'd have to pay them to download my own images!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator
    edited October 10

@NormanPCN I don't know if you got it from me or not but I have been using postimages.org for years now. Its stark simplicity pleases me ;)

• edited October 10

how can i delete this comment?

• edited October 10

Link to the video

I hope this works

• edited October 10

Link to picture

let`s hope it will work

I don`t know how to show it as a picture though... also i look miniature in the online library.

• That screen shot is too small to read (at least on my system).

Why don't you just copy and paste the text from MediaInfo into a post here. Use the "text" video of MediaInfo.

• Allgemein
    Vollständiger Name : D:\Captures\Afterburner Tests\TitanFall_2017_10_09_16_08_14_543.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format-Profil : OpenDML
    Dateigröße : 15,5 GiB
    Dauer : 14 min 20s
    Gesamte Bitrate : 155 Mb/s

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec-ID : MJPG
    Dauer : 14 min 20s
    Bitrate : 152 Mb/s
    Breite : 1 280 Pixel
    Höhe : 720 Pixel
    Bildseitenverhältnis : 16:9
    Bildwiederholungsrate : 30,000 FPS
    ColorSpace : YUV
    ChromaSubsampling/String : 4:2:0
    BitDepth/String : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 5.497
    Stream-Größe : 15,2 GiB (98%)

Audio #1
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format-Einstellungen : Little / Signed
    Format-Einstellungen für Endianess : Little
    Format-Einstellungen für Sign : Signed
    Codec-ID : 1
    Dauer : 14 min 19s
    Bitraten-Modus : konstant
    Bitrate : 1 536 kb/s
    Kanäle : 2 Kanäle
    Samplingrate : 48,0 kHz
    BitDepth/String : 16 bits
    Stream-Größe : 157 MiB (1%)
    Ausrichtung : Ausgerichtet an Interleaves
    Interleave, Dauer : 33 ms (1,00 Video-Frame)

Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format-Einstellungen : Little / Signed
    Format-Einstellungen für Endianess : Little
    Format-Einstellungen für Sign : Signed
    Codec-ID : 1
    Dauer : 14 min 19s
    Bitraten-Modus : konstant
    Bitrate : 1 536 kb/s
    Kanäle : 2 Kanäle
    Samplingrate : 48,0 kHz
    BitDepth/String : 16 bits
    Stream-Größe : 157 MiB (1%)
    Ausrichtung : Ausgerichtet an Interleaves
    Interleave, Dauer : 33 ms (1,00 Video-Frame)

• @TheBeginner34 The motion jpeg video should be supported in Hitfilm.

Your file has two audio tracks. Hitfilm only supports one audio track in a media file. It normally picks the first audio track. If that track in your file is silent/empty then you have no sound as described.

You never mentioned if Hitfilm thinks the file has any sound track at all, or if you just get silent sound. When you drag the media to the editor timeline if Hitfilm creates an audio clip with the video, then Hitfilm thinks the media file has audio. 

With the information available to me, I would guess that the first audio track in the media file is empty. Maybe it is supposed to be a voice over track and in this case it is empty. The second track, which Hitfilm ignores, may be the gameplay audio.

With multiple audio tracks you need to extract the extra tracks to standalone file(s) and then import those audio files into Hitfilm.

• Thank you norman, i hope that works.

On the chance you don't have external audio software, Audacity is a free option. And, buried in this video on fixing media problems is a section on extracting audio from a video file with Audacity. Starts about 39 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment