Hitfilm 4 Express mp4 import without sound

edited October 8 in Express Support

G'day 
Im importing a twitch vod that I downloaded into Hitfilm and there is no audio but there is an audio track.

The Media properties are as follows;
VIDEO
Fps: 30
Aspect: Square Pixels
Resolution: 1280x720
Color: 24bit
Codec: AVC / H.264
AUDIO
Format: 16bit stereo
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Codec: AAC

Container: AAC
Duration: 13:11:53:08

Thanks for your help :)

I7 4770k
Gtx 780ti
Windows 10 pro 64bit Ver.1703

Edit: Sidenote, The only content i want from this 13hr vod is 38 minutes long, I have marked my in and out points but then can I mark in and out points on the 38 minute clip or can I somehow get this 38 minute clip from the Timeline Panel to the Media Panel
Edit 2: Sidenote For anyone trying to do the same I trimmed my clip with the windows 10 photos application, there is a trim option in the top right corner of the app.

Comments

• I don't think Hitfilm supports VOD files.

Can you supply an unedited full text media properties report from MediaInfo.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@NormanPCN a VOD file is MPEG-2 and works if renamed *.mpg.

For Hitfilm Express this requires the premium codec add-on. 

• Here ya go

General
    Complete name : D:\Users\Trr1ppy\Desktop\Files\Youtube\Pubg Game Highlights 1\07-10-2017.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 14.8 GiB
    Duration : 13 h 11 min
    Overall bit rate : 2 672 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf55.43.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L3.1
    Format settings : 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=60
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 2 502 kb/s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 29.412 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 30.303 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.090
    Stream size : 13.8 GiB (94%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 160 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 906 MiB (6%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

•  @Triem23 Renaming didnt work but the file is MPEG-4

• Maybe I could try converting the video to a different format, any suggested formats?

• The MediaInfo report looks fine. Typical AVC+AAC. Maybe the shear length of the file (13 hour) is causing some hiccup within the Hitfilm importer/decoder. You might need to contact support for this one unless someone else has an idea to try.

Rename to Mp4.

@NormanPCN 13 HOURS of variable frame rate footage in one file? I believe Hitfilm has a max timeline of three hours?

I'd recommend transcoding into one or two hour segments. This will take all day. Ugly file... Super low bitrate, so difficult for ANY transcode to maintain any quality... 

• Ive trimmed the video to 38 minutes does that change my situation at all?
    yeah my stream quality is pretty garbage but dont want to push away viewers who have bad net.
    Would it be viable to export the audio track with vlc and just add it to the timeline? and pray for no desync 

• I've trimmed the video to 38 minutes long does that change my situation at all? (still no audio in hitfilm btw)
    Yeah i stream at low bitrate/720p so i dont exclude viewers with bad net
    Would it be viable to export the audio as an mp3 with VLC and dub it on top? and pray for no desync

• OK im bewildered, I closed hit film, reopened the project and the audio track has sound... I guess it was taking a long time to process the audio? and the 38 minute video processed the audio faster when reopening the project.
    Yay thanks guys for trying to help me :) Im glad it was just a fault on my end

No, trimming the video to 38 min makes a huge difference.

Ok, your footage is variable frame rate. When Hitfilm has to ingest VFR footage it has to conform it to a steady clock, then try to rebuild audio synch.

It doesn't always work.

The reasons are long, which is why I made this video, which explains how codecs work, what variable frame rate is, why it's a pain, and multiple ways to fix it. The description links to threads on here from @NormanPCN and @Aladdin4d for their expert breakdowns and solutions as well.

If your current video is working, great. I suggest transcoding, but it's kind of optional. For workflow you either lose time transcoding or waiting for Hitfilm to conform. 

• edited October 8

I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "no audio". Hitfilm waveform display is  pretty slow with AAC files that long. Set the timeline preview mode to "none". This will turn waveforms off for audio clips. That should make the timeline more responsive. It will also turn clip thumbnails off.

Or it could just be the variable frame rate scanning.

Or both.

• edited October 8

@Triem23 I understand transcoding in the context of twitch streaming which I dont have the option to since im not partnered, but do you mean transcode the video with an application before using it in hitfilm?
    Isnt the frame rate a constant 30.000 (29.412-30.303)

Thanks @NormanPCN ill turn off timeline preview
    Also I stream with CBR 2500kb which should be a constant bit rate?

Yes, I mean transcode before import.

Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 29.412 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 30.303 FPS

That tells you it's variable frame rate.

Variable BIT rate is fine. Actually preferable. Now, because your source video is highly compressed (seriously, almost 700:1) you'll actually need to export transcodes or from Hitfilm at a higher bit rate to maintain quality. 

• How do I transcode before import?
    oh whoops haha I didnt see the line above variable frame rate
    VFR might just be a limitation of downloading vods from twitch
    Im not familiar with export transcodes in hitfilm?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@JackTripcony This is Triem23's excellent video on optimizing and transcoding video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

• Thanks Triem23 for your awesome video, This has helped me optimize my new hitifilm 4 project 

• edited October 12

Actaully 1 problem is I dont have the option for GOpro/cineform export In MPEG stream clip

The reason why I want to use this format is because DNxHD doesnt support 1080p60fps in resolutions under options but im asuming cineform does?
    Tested on version 1.2 and 1.2 beta
    File is MP4 
    and not option for cinefrom when exporting to quicktime or avi

• Just clicked in my head im using a 720p60 video so is that why I have no option for 1080p60 with DNxHD

Yeah, that might be it.

Although, if you're going for Cineform, why not use GoPro studio?

PS. Glad the video was helpful. :-)

• edited October 12

Would you recommend Cineform over DNxHD? if so I will get GoPro studio.
    Also my MPEG streamclip is only utilizing 1 core :/ any alternative programs you recommend for mp4/mkv to DNxHD that utilize multi threading? 

• Also can GoPro studio convert VFR to CFR?

@Aladdin4d and @NormanPCN would both say Cineform is the best performing option on Windows. They've done the performance tests and I trust their advice and results..

For other encoders, well, FFMPEG would work, as would VirtualDub, but I'm not really familiar. I use batch rendering from Vegas Pro to transcode.

Aladdin wrote a thread on using VirtualDub.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42015/how-to-use-virtualdub-to-fix-vfr-issues-and-convert-to-cineform

• Downloading Virtual Dub as we speak I think Cineform is the way to go, Thanks for your help

You're welcome. :-)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment