Is Velocity possible in HitFilm Express 2017?

What I’m trying to do is what most of the gaming editing community is calling “Velocity.” There are two variations of this being

Sony Vegas Pro

https://youtu.be/JEyF27AUZos

Adobe After Effects

https://youtu.be/sqyFfIeSIH0

I am almost certain this is possible with the Temporal Speed Effect that’s in HitFilm.

What I’m trying to do is simply do a test to see if it’s possible. I have a 300 frame clip and a 30 frame composite shot. I tried changing the clip properties to 30 frame to match with the composite shot and adding a Speed effect and used the Somy Vegas method. It got closed, but then it just fades into black which is obviously not what I want. I researched a little bit and I’m so confused on what to do because I have to consider the factors clip framerate, composite shot framerate, and Speed effect keyframing.

If you want a better explanation of this, just reply with that. I’m kinda a lost for words when trying to describe it.

Thanks,
Antwan

Comments

• edited October 2

I looked at the Vegas tutorial you linked.

If you do not need to keyframe the speed change then it become easy. Just use the Hitfilm rate stretch tool for a constant speed change on an NLE timeline clip.

That said, Yes you can do that but it will be a royal pain, IMO. We cannot keyframe in the NLE and a quirk of the speed effect. Yes you would be using the speed effect and keyframe that. This is if you intend to do something as shown in the Vegas tutorial. He arranged the clips on his timeline and then added the velocity envelopes when/where it seemed appropriate with the music on the NLE timeline.

In Hitfilm for each clip that you want to keyframe speed you will have to convert that to a composite shot so you can keyframe. You are not going to hear the music in comp if you want to sync to it. You would have to copy the music to the comp to hear a music track while playing in the comp.

So you would mess with your speed in the comp and test it out by switching to the NLE timeline to play the sequence.

So just going by the workflow shown in the Vegas tutorial I would do your edits in Hitfilm just like done in Vegas. Then you will convert to comps for those items that you want to use keyframed speed changes. You may want to, or need to, tweak the comp longer to make things easier. Also given how Hitfilm works you may need to make the comp longer. If the average speed is above 100% the comp needs to be longer. This is because the speed effect needs more frames because it is playing faster. Otherwise the end of the comp will become black because the Hitfilm clip runs out of frames.

In Hitfilm a timeline clip is like a Vegas "subclip". The clip edges left/right are hard boundaries just like a media file. In Vegas a normal timeline event/clip has soft boundaries. So if you speed playback up, Vegas just keeps grabbing frames beyond the end of the defined clip range.

So when speeding up playback the thing to remember is that the clip/comp needs to be longer (more frames) so the speed effect has those extra frames to work with. Only the comp layer with the speed effect needs to be extra long if you want to be technical. Ultimately is is just easier to make the comp layer longer and trim the comp as necessary on the NLE timeline. If the net keyframed speed change is slower than real time then the comp layer does not need to be longer since you are using less frames than are actually there.

• edited October 3

After some testing using your tips, I think I've gotten it down.

Steps I Took

1. New Project
    2. Used 720p HD @ 30 FPS Preset
    3. Start Compositing
    4. Created a Main Composite Shot
    5. Imported 3 Clips, 300 FPS
    6. Changed two clip s to 30 FPS
    7. Converted two clips to 30 FPS Composite shots with longer duration
    8. Added the two clip composite shots into Main composite shot
    9. Added Speed Effect onto those clip shots
    10. Keyframed 10x Linear to start(00:00) of the clips
    11. Keyframed 1x Smooth into 15 frames(00:15) of the clips
    12. Keyframed 1x SMooth into 45(01:15) of the clips
    13. Keyframed 10x Linear to end(02:00) of the clips
    14. Added Motion Blur Effect to the clips
    15. Arranged clips to not be layered on top of each other
    16. Exported with custom .mp4 preset

Results

Video Showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ss51WQ862A

Actual Project File and Clips

Images

Media

https://gyazo.com/793c4092d486d08fe6d205c27e3a68a3

Main Composite Shot Timeline

https://gyazo.com/0e37246e4fc66e1b1a6078462542a87e

Clip Speed Effect Keyframes

https://gyazo.com/cd8b5ecebd2dbdf28abfbe41755cef0c

Clip Speed Effect Keyframes' Value Graph

https://gyazo.com/0703b4319608585fdf0e215cc3590218

Questions and Feedback

Did I follow or misunderstood your steps regardless of result?

Was the result similar or off of the Sony Vegas Tutorial? If off, what do I need to fix? If similar, what do I need to tweak and is there a point to record at 300 FPS now since framerate was changed back to 30 FPS to?

I appreciate the help and possibly feedback I may receive from you, @NormanPCN.

Thanks,
    Antwan

• I think you have the concepts within your grasp. I tried to talk specifically to the Vegas tutorial workflow from your video link. That may not be exactly what you want to do. Just understanding the general concepts of how Hitfilm goes about things should let you figure out a workflow that works best for you.

Looking at your screen shots you probably don't need the main showcase composite shot. The comps you put in it can probably be dropped directly onto your NLE/editor timeline. Work in whatever method is most reasonable for yourself.

Summary.

You are doing thing right with your high speed footage. Generally it is best to have a separate item in your media list marked at the project framerate which is slower than the high speed footage. Then use the speed effect to get that up to normal speed if desired or whatever speed is desired. This technique is the only way to get Hitfilm to use all the frames of the high speed footage.

When you have high speed footage it might be best to have another file that has been transcoded to your project framerate. This is only for edit timeline performance reasons. Most of your video is likely to be normal speed and if every frame has to go through the speed effect or the rate stretch tool then that is adding overhead that can, and likely will, slow down editing.

When using the speed effect, and the net result is faster speed, then you have to remember that the source clip/layer needs to longer than necessary/desired. This is because of how Hitfilm defines clip boundaries, which is different than other editors you may be used to or see tutorials on. Only the layer with the speed effect needs to be long, but often it is simply easier to make the whole composite shot long and trim the comp on the NLE/editor timeline. Besides keyframing the speed effect, this is also why you need to put the media in a composite shot and then put that composite shot on your NLE/editor timeline.

If you put one or more than one media clip with the speed effect in a composite shot is really personal preference. Use/Do what works best for you and your task at hand.

Finally the Speed effect in Hitfilm always does frame blending. This shows up as possible ghosting. It is very circumstance dependent of when you see it and how much. The rate stretch tool never does frame blending. Neither one has options to make the other visually compatible with the other. So if you mix use of the two you might see differences in clips using those different features of Hitfilm.

• I looked at your project file. You don't need to put the media into a separate composite shot and then import that into another composite shot to do the speed effect. You should be able to do the speed effect right on the media layer is it's native composite shot.

Also, I notice that your media files are Video for Windows AVI using the Lagarith codec. Video for Windows does not perform as well as input container/codec subsystems in Hitfilm.

Commonly...Native codecs (AVC, mpeg-2) in an MP4 container. DNxHD or Prores in Quicktime MOV.

The best performance in Hitfilm is with the native Cineform codec in an AVI file. It is native and bypasses Video for Windows.

• Alrighty then, I appreciate the feedback you’ve given me and will continue to build upon it when I’m testing this stuff more.

Thanks,

Antwan

Sign in to comment