Hitfilm Express 2017 Crashes and Restarts PC During Export

edited October 1 in Express Support

So, here's the deal.

I've downloaded Hitfilm on my brand new desktop PC, and I'm running into a terrifying issue right off the bat with Hitfilm Express 2017 that causes my entire PC to BSOD and restart without warning and without slowdown.

When exporting a video, and the one I'm exporting is a measly 1:45 still image montage with a music track, the program runs fine for a bit before my entire PC suddenly reboots, possibly due to a BSOD. My specs are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz (Hexa Core) × 1

MSI A320M Pro-VD Plus[Max 2 Sticks of Memory] × 1

8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133Mhz × 1

Geforce GTX 1060 6GB × 1

EVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus × 1

I'm running Windows 10. As far as I've monitored, there's no spike in heat that I can see, and if there is one, it's so quick there's zero warning or documentation. There was a post about some program software messing with the motherboard on the PC, but I couldn't find any such program or any related files. All my drivers are up to date, and any games I play run fine without crashing. (The most stressful game I've tested is CS:GO so far though, and I assume that's pretty easy.)

I've read it might be an issue with the power supply, but a 500w, according to a calculator, should be just fine for me, even running 24/7. CPU fan is running at 100%, and that's around 2500 rpm, which I know is low, but my PC seems to peak at around 34 degrees Celsius, even when the fan is straight off.

I'm looking for any solution to this problem, as I can't afford to buy other video editing software and I'm not sure if this is a PC problem or the software's problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you, 

Comments

• I realized I posted this in the wrong forum like a doof, so here it is in the proper place.

So, here's the deal.

I've downloaded Hitfilm on my brand new desktop PC, and I'm running into a terrifying issue right off the bat with Hitfilm Express 2017 that causes my entire PC to BSOD and restart without warning and without slowdown.

When exporting a video, and the one I'm exporting is a measly 1:45 still image montage with a music track, the program runs fine for a bit before my entire PC suddenly reboots, possibly due to a BSOD. My specs are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz (Hexa Core) × 1

MSI A320M Pro-VD Plus[Max 2 Sticks of Memory] × 1

8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133Mhz × 1

Geforce GTX 1060 6GB × 1

EVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus × 1

I'm running Windows 10. As far as I've monitored, there's no spike in heat that I can see, and if there is one, it's so quick there's zero warning or documentation. There was a post about some program software messing with the motherboard on the PC, but I couldn't find any such program or any related files. All my drivers are up to date, and any games I play run fine without crashing. (The most stressful game I've tested is CS:GO so far though, and I assume that's pretty easy.)

I've read it might be an issue with the power supply, but a 500w, according to a calculator, should be just fine for me, even running 24/7. CPU fan is running at 100%, and that's around 2500 rpm, which I know is low, but my PC seems to peak at around 34 degrees Celsius, even when the fan is straight off.

I'm looking for any solution to this problem, as I can't afford to buy other video editing software and I'm not sure if this is a PC problem or the software's problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Could you double check your reported numbers. Also, you did not report GPU numbers.

Normally, the CPU fan should not be at 100% speed if the CPU temp is only around 34C. The fan would likely be at idle speed at that temp. Could you possibly have mixed the CPU and GPU heat and/or fan speed numbers in your report.

2500 also sound more like a common GPU fan speed. I am most used to my stuff so I am just wondering aloud. My CPU fan goes from 700-1400 rpm. Also, you you saying that your CPU fan does turn off.

• Ah, right, sorry, I did mix these up. It's the GPU fan, and it's not always running at 100%, that was me, trying to test if it would prevent the crash.

Otherwise, everything else I said stands.

• This sounds very like your PC is overheating and restarting to avoid thermal damage.

• Is there nothing that can be done to counter this sudden overheating besides looking into new cooling and/or power supply options? I still have yet to encounter this with anything other than Hitfilm Express.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment