Boost performance on pre rendering

Dear Forum,

I do several project recently and facing super slow performance in pre-rendering composite shot. Sliding in timeline is really slow.

My question is, is there any way to boost my laptop performance? i heard nvidia has boost performance with premiere. Is there any setting to boost laptop performance other than expanding more hardware :) ?

Btw, my laptop hardware are these:

• Core I7-7700HQ
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1 TB 5400 RPM
  • 2GB GTX 950 NVIDIA

Thank you in advanced

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

What format and codec are your source videos? What camera or screen recorder?

Without going into detail, most footage from most cameras and screen recordings is in a format not optimized for editing.

This video discusses in detail how video codecs work, what the differences are between editing and non editing codecs and several free tools to transcode.

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

Otherwise, you can always lower the resolution of the Viewer.

You'll want to upgrade your laptop. That 5400rpm drive is hurting you badly. A 7200rpm hard drive was considered the minimum for SD video 20 years ago--and HD video requires more bandwidth. Upgrading to a 7200rpm hard drive, or, better, an SSD will also help. 

• Triem,

My video format was 1080p MOV h264 i believe. Took it from dslr. Shouldnt that heavy, should it?

Very interesting on your comment lowering viewer resolution...how could this possible? Is it affect on exported video?

Thanks for your suggestion, ill consider ssd as next upgrade.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited September 29

Viewer resolution is top right of the Viewer Panel. Probably says "Full" right now. You can take it down to Half or Quarter. Doesn't affect rendered output at all.

H.264 in MOV from a DSLR is exactly the type of terrible for codec I was thinking of. I refer to the above video. I made it because I got really tired of typing out the codecs explanation and transcode instructions  over and over again. :) 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment